PDA

View Full Version : WJ - 247 issue

nheric
05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Sorry for the newbie question, but............

Went to have my front pinion seal on the WJ replaced last week. The tech came out to inform me that my 4wd was no longer working. He even said it looks like it hasn't been for a while. I'm not sure how he could tell while the thing was in the air - I figured that's why he's the tech and I'm not.

Anyway, I was immediately upset and curious. I contacted a friend who in the past had issues with his 247. He agreed that anything's possible. I went to his place and picked up another 247 - just in case -

I got a few ideas over the weekend, and decided to try them this morning.

I put the rear axle on jack stands and put the WJ in gear. The front end pulled me right off. I assume at this point I still have 4wd. I figured I'd try something else. My neighbor has a 10' length of steel. I hooked 1 end on the trailer hitch and wrapped the other end around a tree. I jumped in, put it in gear, and accellerated. I felt the rear passenger tire lose it and start to spin. I, immediately, felt the front drivers tire do the same.

It seems to me my "4wd" is working fine.

I need someone to verify that - or to point out to me what I don't understand.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Eric

JohnBoulderCO
05-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Sounds like your 4wd is working. The 247 acts like 2wd until the rear slips, then it sends power to the front drive shaft. When in 4LO it is locked 50/50.

I just searched this site using 247 and found a few posts with more detail.