PDA

View Full Version : Cardan on both ends?

Mabdaddy
04-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Was wondering if any of you have run a double cardan on both ends of your front driveshaft? Having some vibe problems with a 3.5" lift and it was suggested by Jess at High Angle Drivelines that this might resolve the problem. Especially with a 249.

94 ZJ 3.5" lift 249 TC

MaineZJ
04-28-2005, 08:29 PM
rawr - transfercase doesn't make vibes.

I'm willing to bet your pinion angle is off. (to keep your caster within limits)
Really surprised that Jess would suggest just a shit answer.

OverkillZJ
04-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm amazed anyone at High Angle Driveline would say anything so stupid.

Yes, it might make the vibe go away. No, it's not really the right solution.

LouisianaZJ
04-28-2005, 09:39 PM
yes, that would operate at any angle w/o vibes

but it would be over $300 and usually only resorted to with very extreme angles

at 4" this is a shit solution, get adjustable arms, fix you angles (like i told you to do the other day already ) :toimonst: and while your at it ditch the shit 249

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-28-2005, 09:53 PM
at 4" this is a shit solution, get adjustable arms, fix you angles (like i told you to do the other day already ) :toimonst: and while your at it ditch the shit 249

i did all the above and mine drives great.

phillyzj
04-28-2005, 09:57 PM
i've heard of sami guys runnin the double CV shafts but that's about it.

nathaniel
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
The double double shaft is a viable solution. At 3.5" you should have much for vibes i would look at just rebalancing current shaft or rebuilding it. Double doubles are usually reserved for running 6"+ of lift so that your caster can be set to factory #'s instead of like 2* like some people run.

You can pretty much do either one.

Yes its an expensive shaft but so are a pair of adj. arms sometimes two pairs

MaineZJ
04-29-2005, 08:36 AM
funny, cause I have stock arms, 3" and stock front shaft - no vibes

Nordic1
04-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Hell I ran 8" with almost no vibes... if you have your pinion angle right, you shoudl be fine.

Mabdaddy
04-29-2005, 01:09 PM
Went back over to where I had it aligned and they put it back on the laser and said that the cam bolts were maxed out. Were already allowing the pinion to go up as much as it could. Upper 6's for caster on each side. So I turned my attention to the back ds. Adjusted the rear control arms and got rid of a lot of it. Interestingly tech support from RE told me that I HAD to lower my pinion angle in the rear to take care of this problem, and I ended up having to RAISE it (more inline with the driveshaft) to help. Amazing what one turn of adjustment will do. Think I'll replace the rear u-joints just to do it and see if that helps some. Also heard that sometimes a 180 degree turn of the ds can help.

Thanks to all who responded!