PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning inside axle tubes...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-26-2005, 01:01 AM
So my HP30 had been sitting around for a couple of years before I acquired it last weekend. After spending a good part of today air chiseling off the rusted hubs, torching rusty bolts, and hammering dryrotted balljoints, I got her pretty much stripped of all the parts. Now I'm wanting to clean out the inside of the axle tube because it is caked with mud, grease, and shit all over the place. I dont think my sandblaster would work well because its inside the tube and its kind of awkard to scrape it from inside out so how should I go about getting all this shit outta it? thanks.

ATL ZJ
04-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Buy 2 gerbils. Make steel wool sweaters for your gerbils, then secure said sweaters on gerbils.

Buy EasyCheese. Spray said EasyCheese in tubes.

Insert sweatered gerbils in tubes.

Cover ends of tubes with duct-tape. Poke holes for airflow.

nate
04-26-2005, 03:37 AM
Pressure washer.

OverkillZJ
04-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Buy 2 gerbils. Make steel wool sweaters for your gerbils, then secure said sweaters on gerbils.

You are a disturbed individual with a disturbed mind...

Ya, pressure washer. You're just going to get dirt in the tubes again anyway.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-26-2005, 11:21 AM

well yea, if it works for a rectum, why not an axle tube?!

uhm, wait, nevermind.

nate
04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Pressure washer works just as good. Go to the car wash, spend $2-3 and hose it down. The tubes don't need to be spotless anyway, just need to get all the loose rust and dirt out.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-26-2005, 01:04 PM
hmm car wash, never thought of that.

Kraqa
04-26-2005, 03:34 PM
some degreaser soaked rag on the end of a broom stick.

Michael
04-26-2005, 04:34 PM
when i took apart my d35 the tubes were filled with metal shards, so we spayed the tubes using an adapter for an air compressor that sucks up your dissolvent, and sprays it like a pressure washer. works 100%.

Kraqa
04-26-2005, 06:12 PM
dissolvent

whats that......the oposite of a solvent? Maybe some sort of glue?

Krash80
04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
i posted this a while back on JU about a D30, because there is almost no way possible to install the long-side shaft without touching the shaft splines to the inside of the tube somewhere, and as soon as you do, the splines get covered w/ crap that goes straight into your diff as soon as you slip the shaft in.

So...take your shop vac, duct tape a ~3 foot long piece of thin wall round metal tubing to the end of your hose, then turn the vacuum on and scrape the insides of the axle tube with your metal vacuum extention, and all the shit that's scraped w/ that piece of metal will be sucked up by the vacuum.

You're welcome...i know, i'm a genius. :supz:

PS...if you don't have an abundant supply of metal tubing laying around, a piece of conduit works quite well. The smaller diameter of conduit will give you that much more suction also. And if you don't have conduit, go to ANY construction site and look on the ground or in the dumpster...there'll be plenty of scraps laying around.

Jim311
04-26-2005, 10:13 PM
Why bother? It's just gonna get filled with garbage again anyway the first time you go wheeling.

Michael
04-26-2005, 10:13 PM
dissolvent

whats that......the oposite of a solvent? Maybe some sort of glue?

Bobby, how did you fail english? God damnit bobby, you speak english!
-Hank Hill

:finga:

dissolvent
A noun
1 solvent, dissolvent, dissolver, dissolving_agent, resolvent
a liquid substance capable of dissolving other substances; "the solvent does not change its state in forming a solution"
Category Tree:
entity
╚substance; matter
╚medium
╚solvent, dissolvent, dissolver, dissolving_agent, resolvent
╚naphtha
╚menstruum
╚hexane
╚carbon_tetrachloride; carbon_tet; tetrachloromethane; perchloromethane
╚carbolic_acid; phenol; hydroxybenzene; oxybenzene; phenylic_acid
╚chlorobenzene
╚acetone; propanone; dimethyl_ketone

nate
04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah I just cleaned out a D30 today actually. Just pressure washed it, then I used a big wad of paper towels and push it threw the tubes with a pipe a few times. Worked just fine, and cost like $1.25 at the car wash. :mrgreen:

Granted... that works when the pumkin is torn down... which mine is. Otherwise, Krash's thing would work good.

Get some of them axle seals Superior seals, then worked good on my other D30.

Krash80
04-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Why bother? It's just gonna get filled with garbage again anyway the first time you go wheeling.

because there is almost no way possible to install the long-side shaft without touching the shaft splines to the inside of the tube somewhere, and as soon as you do, the splines get covered w/ crap that goes straight into your diff as soon as you slip the shaft in.

dammit learn to read Jim! :finga: dirt and small rocks are not friendly to carrier bearings.

Jim311
04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Pssh, whatever man. The fluid will pick up the minimal amount of garbage that gets pushed in. The seals won't allow but so much crap in anyway. That's one reason to change your diff fluid on a regular basis! :partyman:

Plus, if you wipe all the fluid off the end of the shaft and splines, dirt won't stick to it as much, so you'll push VERY little into the seals and diff.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-27-2005, 12:45 AM
apparently you havent seen the condition of this axle, its so full of mud and shit i could barely get the axle out of the tube. I'm gonna see how well a pressure washer (not some POS at a car wash but a REAL pressure washer) takes care of it.

bburgi
04-27-2005, 12:52 AM
What the crap is that in your sig puma??
:smt108 :smt103

dasVettemeister
04-27-2005, 04:20 AM
Due I get to put wack shit in my sig if I become a postwhore like puma? :smt003

Jim311
04-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Be careful with a pressure washer or anything you stick in the tubes not to damage the seals....

paulkeith
04-27-2005, 09:58 AM
back in the day i saw some writeup where i guy got a threaded rod, and a washer the size of the axle tube, put the rod through, washer onto the rod, bigger washer and nut outside of the axle, and started turning. will pull all the shit out. assuming you can't just pull the rod yourself.

worth a shot, and cheap

OverkillZJ
04-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I remember that, pretty creative.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Be careful with a pressure washer or anything you stick in the tubes not to damage the seals....

yea we're passed that stage now. I'm hoping the master install kit that i ordered comes with all new axle, pinion, etc. seals.

OverkillZJ
04-27-2005, 12:18 PM

yea we're passed that stage now. I'm hoping the master install kit that i ordered comes with all new axle, pinion, etc. seals.

If if's a Yukon kit, yup! If it's a genuine kit, nope!

nate
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
It's just funny about this discussion. The brush is a great idea for a guy that does alot of diffs because it would work the best. Myself, I can't see spending $10 plus shipping on a brush I will use once. Cool tools are great, but I try not to by stuff that I will just use 1 time. I guess a buddy could use it down the road or whatever though.

The pressure washer/paper towel thing I did yesterday worked just fine and was cheap. The tubes don't need to be perfectly spotless, just get all the loose shit out. Mine was real bad, like the axle tubes were rubbing on the dirt and rust.

Yup, new seals with Yukon kits.

Cue-Ball
04-27-2005, 02:48 PM

Are they worth the $100 for those seals??

I was thinking about getting them for my HP30 build up. I know my tubes are clean the HP30 housing was acid dipped for a few days, got it back over the weekend and started painting it with POR-15 came out great, I should have pix in my members journal in the next day or so.

OverkillZJ
04-27-2005, 02:50 PM

Are they worth the $100 for those seals??

Mine made their way to the trash pretty fast.

Cue-Ball
04-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Actually just checked and they are $126 with free shipping.

Don't really feel like flushing that kind of cash.

nate
04-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Hmm, I paid like $75 for mine. They work great.

zj95
05-05-2005, 02:56 AM
back in the day i saw some writeup where i guy got a threaded rod, and a washer the size of the axle tube, put the rod through, washer onto the rod, bigger washer and nut outside of the axle, and started turning. will pull all the shit out. assuming you can't just pull the rod yourself.

worth a shot, and cheap

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/images/D30SH047sm.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/images/D30SH053sm.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/images/D30SH051sm.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/images/D30SH052sm.jpg

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARD30shafts297andSeals/D30shafts297andSeals.htm

he did it on accident trying to replace his seals

nate
05-05-2005, 11:31 PM
So he made some kind of fancy dancy thing to push the seals out?

Take a pipe and run it down the tube... slide it into the the seal and it will come out after a couple hits.