PDA

View Full Version : NP 231 Oil Pump

nate
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Anyone have an oil pump for a 231 they don't need?

I was tired and wrenching last night and didn't think things threw. I put together the T Case wrong and ended up breaking a tab off the oil pump... yeah yeah I'm the retard. :rolleyes: We've all done stupid shit.

If you don't have one, but know where I can get one, let me know. I'm gonna call the dealer tommorrow morning to see... probably won't be cheap though.

ATL ZJ
04-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I have an NP242 oil pump out of a 242J from a 96 ZJ. Let me know if you want it. Not sure if they're compatible...

Cam

nate
04-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I think they are the same. Could you measure the OD of the pump and the ID of where the seal is?

ATL ZJ
04-18-2005, 02:21 AM
I'll have to get back to you with those numbers Nate. The case is at my house in Atlanta, and I'll be at school for about 10 more days until my summer starts. :mrgreen: Do you need this ASAP, or can it wait a couple weeks? If it's urgent, I can just get my brother to measure it and mail it to you if it turns out to be correct.

Cam

nate
04-18-2005, 07:11 AM
I need it within this week really. The Jeep isn't driveable right now, no gears in the axles, etc., but I'd like to get the T Case back in for when I put the LAs in... make sure it fits right and all. I guess I could put the case back together without the oil pump if it comes to it. Kinda a PITA to pull it back out again though.
What were you looking to get for the pump?

I'm gonna call the dealer in the AM and see what they want for it. If it isn't too much $$, I'm gonna get a new one.

Oh... so I called Napa and asked for an oil pump for a NP231. I didn't think they would carry it, but hey, worth a shot.

Napa Dude: um, hold on let me check.......................... hey, who told you that you needed this?
Me: Who told me I needed what??
ND: That you needed an oil pump... see, there's no oil pump in the T Case. Someones playing a joke on you.
Me: Uh, I took the case apart, there's an oil pump in there, trust me.
ND: No, no there isn't, my book even says.
Me: and your book tells your everything? There's a oil pump in the T Case, believe me. Napa doesn't carry that part, so it's not in the book.
ND:... There's no oil pump
Me: Whatever, thanks.

OverkillZJ
04-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical conversation with a parts counter idiot...

ATL ZJ
04-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Nate, I would just want like $10 plus shipping for it. $5 would go to my brother so he'd be willing to take the time to run it over to the post office. I'll see if I can get you those numbers tonight.

Cam

BigDaveZJ
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
If ATL ZJ's won't work, I know JB Conversions can get them for ya too.

ATL ZJ
04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Nate, sorry but it looks like my brother won't have time to measure that for you before I get back next week, much less run it to the post office. I'll be home Wednesday, and should be able to get it out to you the next day (Thursday April 28), so if you still need it by then, just let me know.

Cam

nate
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
No worries. I picked one up at the dealer actually. It was $40, so not too bad IMO. I was figureing around $100

Swamp boy
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
If anyone else needs one I have a 231 pump sitting in my tool box.. I must have missed this thread. :drinkers:

ATL ZJ
05-18-2005, 10:36 PM
And I have a 242 oil pump sitting in my garage, that is ready to go anytime now... I also have the rest of the parts from that 242 if anybody needs them, just send a PM.

Jim311
05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Is it technically called an oil "pump" by the manufacturer/parts companies? I thought it was called a "slinger" or something for some reason.

nate
07-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Nah it's an oil pump. I mean it's got a pickup tube and it pumps the oil into the mainshaft (it's hollow).