PDA

View Full Version : how can we make the board better?

BigDaveZJ
04-14-2005, 12:08 PM
Looking for ideas on ways we can make this board better to attract more members and increase traffic. Right now there's kind of a "core" group that does most of the posting. The goal of this site will stay the same, I'm just looking for any ideas that anybody may have on how to increase traffic.

Ideas we already have that we will be putting in place as time and funds allow:

-revamping main site to include more tech info, trail reports, stuff like that

-upgrading software to vBB sooner or later (that's where the $$$ comes in that we need)

-stickers and stuff like that are being worked on to help get the word out

Kraqa
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Why not contact Xtreme offroading and see if you can run an add. There reader will be more of the crowd were trying to attract and i bet they would cut you a wicked deal. since they are starting out and so are you. besided i'm sure they will liek the idea. Liek i said before i woudl be more then willing to help with the funding of soemhting liek that to see this site prosper. althoguh my canadian money is no bette rthen you coster for you coffee mug.

BigDaveZJ
04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Don't really want to run an "ad" per se. The site's not a business . . yet. We have a good amount of members, what I'm trying to figure out is how to get more of them to post and how to attract more members by making changes on the site itself.

If you don't feel comfortable posting your concerns or suggestions, feel free to PM me.

ATL ZJ
04-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Stickers will definitely be a huge way to increase publicity about the site at Grand Slams and other trailruns.

One thing that makes the PBB so popular is the free giveaways. I realize that this comes because vendors realize that there is a huge market to be had there, but if you could convince a few to start doing giveaways to paying members, it would not only finance the site, but get the vendors into the spotlight and encourage people to regularly view the site. I know that the "core" group here will have no problem paying a membership fee, but for the others it may have to include enough perks to be worth it- possibly waived Grand Slam entry fees, vendor discounts, or upload space? Just some ideas- I'm sure there are better ones. And also, I am not sure if that is what you're looking for yet since you mention you want to stay away from the business aspect at least until we experience a little more growth.

With more traffic will come more trolls and assclowns, but I know that you and Matt are more than prepared to deal with them (warn and banstick).. :mrgreen:

OverkillZJ
04-14-2005, 02:05 PM
When we eventually upgrade the software (I say eventually because I'm swamped as it is, and I'm not doing it during WHEELING SEASON!) We will definately be offering perks to paying members such as upload space, maybe even a "garage" web space of your own to brag about your junk, etc etc. I don't think that "free entry to grand slams" will ever be possible as each slam is the responsibility of the organizers and really has no affiliation with Mallcrawlin except forums and us helping them out as much as possible.

However, with the consideration of MallCrawls (open to all vehicles) free entry could be a possibility if there were a fee. Who knows, I think we're still feeling as we go here.

BigDaveZJ
04-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I know most of the Grand Slams don't have a fee required to participate, just possible associated fees like permits, hotels, stuff like that.

I do plan on making any MallCrawl events very similar, no fees to go, just pay for your food, gas, and wherever you're gonna sleep.

The vendor giveaways would be awesome, but again we need some more traffic before vendors will just start giving stuff away. I know Pirate is VERY successful with this, but we have 500 members, they have upwards of 40,000.

ATL ZJ
04-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah the Grand Slam fee deal was tossing around a thought- I know they're all individually-sponsored events, so I guess that wouldn't work.

Dave, I think you're right about needing more members to get vendors to run giveaways over here.

Maybe our resident vendors (such as Dirk and Ty, among others), could start by giving 5% discounts to members of this board. Of course that is ultimately their call, but it might help to draw traffic.

One of the best ways I can think of to get more people on this board is to encourage everyone to link to Mallcrawlin.com in their sigs on other boards, especially local boards. Lots of people have info about their rigs in their sigs anyways, which could easily be made into a link to their individual "buildup" or "jeep journal" in that section, since most people on here also have their own thread.

Cam

Kraqa
04-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Addressing the Ad thing. I understand that this is not a business. And I also understand the problems you will run into if you try to become one. Have you ever looked in the back of a JP mag? JU has an add. It’s not a business ad but just one saying that there the ultimate Forum for Jeep only tech. (not true) but still. Stickers would be sweet. Maybe get some sponsors. Like have banner adds and what not.

Paying for a membership is all good but talking with matt you have to be a business and pay tax to take money from people legally. Upload space would be cool. The main this is that MC is not that well known. As far as I know the only advertisement that they get is from its "core" members promoting it on other sites. I know puma pimps the logo on JU. I pimped it in my old sig and right now I’m working on developing a sweet sig pic and having the epic the link to MC. I for one want to see this site take off. But until more people know about this site it doesn't matter what it looks like. Well sort of that is a catch 22. If the site looks shitty no one will want to give it a chance. But it the site looks cool and no ones here to appreciate it then its worthless. (What came first the chicken or the egg?) You get what I’m saying.

As far as the main site go's. It totally needs to be revamped. I think you should have designated people writing trip reports and tech articles. Have a section that incorporates our write-ups. Have the total write up in a sub page linked form the main page and then in the write-up section just have the thread title as a link. Then up load the pics to the MC server so that they don't disappear. This would still enable new write-ups to be posted in that section, people can comment and if it’s worth while then the designated writer for this site will convert it to HTML and make a new page for it on the main site.

Also the main page should have a pic of one of its member’s rides off road. Maybe try to change the pic monthly. People like flashy and new things but they also like change.

I will offer my assistance in anyway possible. I have some HTML experience. Basically what I’m saying is that I could build a better site then what you have with roll over’s. But not by much.

If you truly want more of my opinions and don’t' think I’m on crack then talk to me on AIM or phone or even at GSW.

Believe it or not I’ve finish 2 years of business school. Despite my shitty typing and internet English.

Jeepinparrothead
04-14-2005, 03:54 PM
If you decide to do the business thing....I know of two good accountants on this board that I am sure would not mind helping with that part...I don't....you would have to ask Hank but I won't mind.

Get the stickers and go from there. That is what I have to say.

JeepinHank
04-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Second on the upload space.

The "garage" deal sounds like a cool idea. Maybe have a standard format/layout that all of the "garages" conform to (ie. font, pics on the left, background color, etc.) but allow users to kinda keep a journal - a lot like what we've got in the j journal forum, but sort also similar to what's found on the cardomain site.

You're biggest problem is going to be attracting other jeep types. Don't know if you even want to, but the growth opportunities for a grand cherokee only board is pretty limited. I know of this site cause I was around when Dave set it up and came over from NAGCA. Honestly, who would think of "mallcrawlin" as a name for a place for hard core off roading? Driving a ZJ, I see the irony there, but I don't think CJ/YJ/TJ guys would get it. At least not right off.

As far as dues or fees go, I wouldn't mind paying a little to help keep the site going (and growing) but I'd expect to see some sort of benefit from it. Much more than a card and a sticker. :smt002

Cue-Ball
04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
I for one would definetly be willing to offer a discount to members for Amsoil products. I am not really sure what amount though but I am sure I could come up with something. I too am just really getting started with this whole advertising thing and have made the commitment to sponsor at minimun GSSW and GSW to hopefully get my name out there and get some business out of it.

I am actually thinking of starting a website of my own to help advertise and give people a chance to order online but I am still kicking that around in my head.

Anyway i am glad to offer something to the gang if it would help bring in business.

Dirk

OverkillZJ
04-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I know the main page is an issue, I was planning on redoing it with php-nuke before GSW, but seing as Dave and I ultimately want to go with VBB that would be me doing lots of work twice. VBB isn't only forums, but has a great PHP interface for main pages that would allow the tech writeups and such ont he portal page to be managed in the databse. I don't want to have a "stand alone" main page like we do now, it's a nightmare to update and keep track of.

LouisianaZJ
04-14-2005, 07:59 PM
support from vendors, give aways etc

publicity at wheelin events .. stickers etc.

ATL ZJ
04-14-2005, 08:17 PM
I like Kraqa's idea of featuring (or at least picturing) a different member's rig on the trail each month. I know it's Dave's site, but everybody likes a little variety... Examples of this are the POR homepage and also the frontpage of the Land Croozer site www.ih8mud.com- I believe that whole site is a good model for something we're looking at becoming.

BigDaveZJ
04-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I like Kraqa's idea of featuring (or at least picturing) a different member's rig on the trail each month. I know it's Dave's site, but everybody likes a little variety... Examples of this are the POR homepage and also the frontpage of the Land Croozer site www.ih8mud.com- I believe that whole site is a good model for something we're looking at becoming.

I was certainly planning on doing something similar when we upgrade the main page. I know over www.ilovejeeps.com every time you go to the main site there's a picture of a different rig. I was planning on doing something like that, or have a "rig of the month" style thing going on.

What I'm really looking for is how can we make the forums themselves better. How can we get more people to actually post? Is the atmosphere here friendly to those who are not part of the "core" group? I won't go overboard on attracting newbs, that's not what this site is meant for, but I would like more members so that we can continue to grow the site and offer many of the same features that the larger sites can offer.

Kraqa
04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Dave/Matt,

Addressing the friendliness.

I think we are not the friendliest crowd in the world to people who ask dumb questions. But look at POR. even if your a off road guru or a ticketed fabricator there are going to be at least 10 people that will tell you your truck is a peice of shit and that your gay. yet they have 40,000+ members. At this point in time with out paying for advertisement. I would put the ownise on our core members to promote the hell out of this board on there local msg boards. You are working on a No money budget. That is a very difficult task as I’m sure you know. Look at those pyramid scams. You get bonuses for signing up new members. At this point use your best resources, your members. They are free. defiantly willing to help out and combine then together they know way more people then you, one single person does. Why not an incentive program. In the new member sign up process have a small area, "how did you here about this site". If a member gets more then a certain amount of people referred they get 100MB of file storage, or a link on the main page.

You could also try collaborating with other local boards. Talk to there owners, maybe you and them can swap banners. He puts on on your site. You put one on there's. ANYTHING to get more people aware that this resource is here. I'm sure my local board would be willing to.

These are some non finance driven alternatives.

If you could take finances. Try Google adds. Our local board just did it. for ever user that clicks on the board gets payed.

I hope this doesn’t come across as a rant. It totally isn’t.

jiddup
04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
1 I would seriously stay away from making this a business. There are enough of us I am sure...I know I for one...who would donate some money on the side to help you out Dave. Making this a business is more of a hassle than it is worth.

2 The php nuke new site will help things take off very nicely. No offense is meant by this at all but I could set this site up as is in like an hour. The main page being completely interfaced with the forums makes the hugest difference....of which I am sure has already been explained to you.

3 Anyone who is seriously a strong mallcrawlin.com member should be sporting the link to the site in their sigs at other sites. I know I click on links in peoples sigs all the time.

4 The upload space so people can sport their trip pics and shit would be nice. I know it drives me nutz when people use imagestation shit and I can't see anything.

I dunno overall I think the members are pretty cool....with some member advertising you will start to see more poeple come by.....keepin shit fresh and new is gonna be a big help but if it isn't happening till after wheelin season....could take a little while to get shit movin quicker. I know if you get me a sticker...of course Ill buy it but get em and I'll be pimpin that since my shitbox hits the road next week. Just my .02

Also I know me as a newbie wheeler....I could go for some serious tech writeups...ya know if someone is doing some work on their jeep...take some pics as you go to show some step by step shit...and have em spend a half hour at some point writing up about what they did. Tell ya what if someone had done that for replacing rear main seals...I woulda been a helluva lot better off. I know newbie thing isn't so hot around her BUT we all started somewhere and if some newb such as myself doesnt know how to replace a rear main seal which is a PITA of a job....and they can get the help here from a simple tech write up....that would make this a better board there now huh?

Oh and your trip reports are 6 months out of date :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-15-2005, 12:33 AM
yea if money were ever an issue i dont think that would be a problem. the only issue with this site as of right now is that it is mainly a ZJ/WJ tech forum. There arent even 40,000 ZJ/WJ owners that have been in 4LO so reaching POR status just ain't gonna happen. However getting more attention from local boards and being the GO-TO tech place concerning grands is a more attainable goal. I for one promote this site on JU, JF, NC4x4.com, and others.

OverkillZJ
04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Too many rants.

Even if it becomes a business, it will be free (for most features) to guests / non paying members as well. We simply want to offer more functionality that I cannot do without charging.

Want to send donations? This server costs me a couple hundred a month and I have only 5 sites on it. Mallcrawlin pulls 80% of the resources I use. Hoping to open up a hosting service off of this server and a few others shortly though, so that should become a moot point.

jiddup
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
yeah we would send donations....hook up a paypal link...otherwise I'm giving to Dave next time I see him...if he spends it you can try to beat his ass for it. and just an FYI...generally when you ask for opinion you get rants...sorry

OverkillZJ
04-15-2005, 12:49 AM
2 The php nuke new site will help things take off very nicely. No offense is meant by this at all but I could set this site up as is in like an hour. The main page being completely interfaced with the forums makes the hugest difference....of which I am sure has already been explained to you.

Just caught this. "Explained to me?" Don't make me have Pam bitch slap you. I run nuke on other sites, I'm not impressed with it. Open source has its place, and I feel that places where it's open front and under constant attack isn't one of them. Especially with PHP Nukes flakiness.

As far as the "interface" of this site - and hour my ass. I can install PHPbb in about 2 minutes flat on shared hosting. Let me see you install phpBB on your own 2003 box with PHP/CGI and MySQL and import that 250MB database in an hour, let alone manage it in a manor that doesn't cause downtime. What goes on with the management of this site is 99.9% in the background and believe me, I usually have better things to do than figure out how to pretty it up. For now, it serves it's purpose.

[/rant]

BigDaveZJ
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
As far as the "interface" of this site - and hour my ass. I can install PHPbb in about 2 minutes flat on shared hosting. Let me see you install phpBB on your own 2003 box with PHP/CGI and MySQL and import that 250MB database in an hour, let alone manage it in a manor that doesn't cause downtime. What goes on with the management of this site is 99.9% in the background and believe me, I usually have better things to do than figure out how to pretty it up. For now, it serves it's purpose.

[/rant]

GEEK FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Bustin' Loose
04-15-2005, 12:57 AM
:popcorn:

Jeepinparrothead
04-15-2005, 01:13 AM
I'll Join.......Wheres my junior mints......Popcorn will do who brought beer?

:popcorn:

jiddup
04-15-2005, 01:14 AM

Just caught this. "Explained to me?" Don't make me have Pam bitch slap you. I run nuke on other sites, I'm not impressed with it. Open source has its place, and I feel that places where it's open front and under constant attack isn't one of them. Especially with PHP Nukes flakiness.

[/rant]

Go ahead and take ur panties out of the fat bunch they are in....I said I could set up this site...as in the main page...basic linking...plain old html......you are correct...importing the DB would take a bit longer. Simply put I could toss the set up of this site together in less than an hour...I have done it...numerous times as well. As far as the forums....they are just fine the way they are...but if your looking for a quicker fix to get by till the money is there and the time is there a php/nuke site WOULD work temporarily and would give it a fresh/new look to get by till the end of wheeling season. you dont like the idea FINE...dont do it keep the site the way it is....you guys are the ones asking for suggestions....dont like the reply SUE ME :finga:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-15-2005, 01:22 AM
http://www.discoverengineering.org/cool_things/cd/images/Geek.gif

VERSUS

http://www.brushtype4fund.co.uk/Images/Seminars/Computer_GEEK.JPG

I wonder who will win....

jiddup
04-15-2005, 01:27 AM
he will win cuz its his board/forum/work. Thats fine though....he doesn't like the idea for his reasons and thats fine. Everyone does things different. :weedman:

OverkillZJ
04-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Dave did the main page, entirely. Go bark up his tree. Excuse me for feeling insulted by being told that something I've put a lot of work into would take only an hour :smt011

Yes, as was already stated several times by several people, the main page of this site sucks. That's ok, considering it gets 1/1000th of the traffic of the forums.

Why not PHP-Nuke? Why would I? It's another SQL database to worry about and an entirely different non integrated system. What do you think, I want to set this place up like JU?

Edit: if that main page takes you an hour, you're not a good geek :finga:

Cue-Ball
04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Too many rants.

Even if it becomes a business, it will be free (for most features) to guests / non paying members as well. We simply want to offer more functionality that I cannot do without charging.

Want to send donations? This server costs me a couple hundred a month and I have only 5 sites on it. Mallcrawlin pulls 80% of the resources I use. Hoping to open up a hosting service off of this server and a few others shortly though, so that should become a moot point.

Matt,

I would post up a donation Paypal buttopn on the main forum page, atleast 5 people have already mentioned they would offer up donations so that would be an easy way to get some quick cash.

I am actually going to be looking for a hosting service here in the next few months for my Amsoil business as well as my wifes scrapbooking business so when the time comes let's talk and see if we can work something out on your servers.

The other thing would be if you could host the logo jpeg so that we can all just link to the same pic for our sigs on other sites, maybe post the link here so that we can just copy/paste into our other sigs, that would keep it all consistent.

Dirk

JeepinHank
04-15-2005, 10:37 AM
More tech is definitely a good thing. I'm happy to do writeups, but I'd like to get an idea of what people want.

My re-wire article is in my journal, I'd be happy to copy it over to the write-ups section if you wanted me to. Same with some of the other stuff I am/will be doing. Haven't done it before cause its not really THAT technical.

What kind of tech articles? If I'm doing it, I'll take a few pics and write a little narrative.

BigDaveZJ
04-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Dave did the main page, entirely. Go bark up his tree.

And I fully admit that it sucks the hairy fat one!!!!

OverkillZJ
04-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Dave did the main page, entirely. Go bark up his tree.

And I fully admit that it sucks the hairy fat one!!!!
LMAO, I'm just irritable. Had an office disaster yesterday at one of my clients. We thought it was a water pipe break aboove one of the computer rooms that caused the flood... no.... it was sewage.

Knee deep in shit working with computers :butthead:

Bustin' Loose
04-15-2005, 02:50 PM
mmmm...yummay! The shit you have to deal with when you work with computers. :smt003

Just go out and have yourself a :drinkers: tonight.

bburgi
04-15-2005, 03:15 PM
:poke: :smt024