PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

BigDaveZJ
04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Had my t-stat seize up on me Saturday on Hell's Revenge. Punched it back open with a screwdriver and all was well to get me off the trail. Gonna do a full flush and fill before I go back out in Moab and I'm gonna put a new t-stat in there. I'd like to get the Robert Shaw, but after talking to Kolak he says he can't get them anymore due to jacked up distribution. I won't give any money to 4WDH, and they have them listed for TJ's, not sure if that will work but I won't buy it anyways. So what I'm looking for is a t-stat that fails in the OPEN position so that the engine doesn't over heat. Do any of the Stant's do this? Any other brands? Anybody know where to buy the Shaw stuff? Looking for 180*.

Nordic1
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
How often does your t-stat fail that you need to put extra effort into finding that kind of t-stat? You said it yourself that you punched a hole in it and it got you off the trail. I grabbed a $10 napa 180* stat and it's worked fine for me and I don't think I will be to upset if I have to spend another 10 bucks to replace it.

BigDaveZJ
04-05-2005, 01:13 PM
How often does your t-stat fail that you need to put extra effort into finding that kind of t-stat? You said it yourself that you punched a hole in it and it got you off the trail. I grabbed a $10 napa 180* stat and it's worked fine for me and I don't think I will be to upset if I have to spend another 10 bucks to replace it.

See, I actually wheel my junk. Do I want my t-stat to fail and have my engine overheat in the middle of the desert/mountains miles from nowhere? Not really. Now STFU.

Kraqa
04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I CAN GET THEM FOR CHEEP FROM THE LOCAL PARTS STORE. IF YOU WANT I'L MAIL YOU ONE.

v8 OR i6?

Nordic1
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
2 bolts and some RTV :smt056

lol I'll STFU up now :mrgreen:

OverkillZJ
04-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Chase - his engine was running at 260 and we had to wait almost an hour for the system to cool enough to open the tstat and punch it out.

Like dave said, if you actually wheeled your shit, you'd know to fix it right the first time :finga:

TrojanMan
04-05-2005, 10:07 PM
The one for the TJ should work for you. I don't know what to tell you. I guess you'll have to just get a regular one to finish you off until you can get one that burns open. I suggest buying 2.. that way you'll have a trail spare. If I hear of anything i'll let you know.

dasVettemeister
04-06-2005, 02:18 AM
A regular $6 NAPA crappa thermostat will do the exact same job as a Robert shaw in a stock application. The only time a robert shaw is going to help you is if you have significantly upgraded the capacity of your cooling system, or gone with a high flow water pump. Change your coolant at regualar intervals and you generally won't have problems with a thermostat "seizing up." This is almost always caused by schmutz and corrosion in the cooling system. (ie. poor preventive maintenance) Of course changing the thermostat at every other coolant flush helps too. they don't last forever, and at $6 or so it's cheap insurance.

Oh yeah, if you simply must have a robert shaw, try summit racing, or preferably Jeg's.

TrojanMan
04-06-2005, 02:40 PM
PS if you ever buy anything from summit or jegs give me a PM or preferably an IM on AIM. I can get you a distributor's discount.

gsh
04-07-2005, 12:48 PM
The standard design of a t-stat is gonna fail closed, unless it warps and catches the button or shaft while open.

It's not impossible to have one that will fail open, but there's not much incentive to sell 'em. The standard design works fine for most vehicles out there.

TrojanMan
04-08-2005, 03:01 PM
The standard design of a t-stat is gonna fail closed, unless it warps and catches the button or shaft while open.

It's not impossible to have one that will fail open, but there's not much incentive to sell 'em. The standard design works fine for most vehicles out there.

They do exist, i've... not seen, but heard of them :axe: