PDA

View Full Version : missing & sputtering under load

scubatch2
04-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Went for a weekend of fun,everything was cool till the trip back for a run to the cabin.Check engine light comes on. After shutting it down and restart light is off.
Coming home today we all air up and as I'm trying to merge onto road it starts bucking and sputtering.Pull over Idle's perfect no bad vac lines.Try to leave again and the same thing happens. I disco the batt. to reset computer and start it up and drives fine.10 min. in to the trip go to pass someone and it starts doing it again(only under load or heavy axcel.)All the way home I would have to put it in "N" shut off truck restart through it back in "D" and then axcel. To pass or go up a step grade.I'm not sure why no code's came up,or did I clear them when I disco'ed the batt. Please give me a starting place.I thought about a bad cat. but its only about3years old and has no rattle in it. Help.

TrojanMan
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
You clear codes when you disconnect the battery.

What kind of wheeling did you do? Was it mud?

You could have soaked your air filter in mud, which can seep into your intake and cause some problems. I would check & clean your filter, spray some throttle body cleaner into your throttle body, and run sea foam through your intake manifold. If you still have problems post again, and if your light comes back on let us know what the code is.

scubatch2
04-05-2005, 12:41 AM
[quote="TrojanMan"]You clear codes when you disconnect the battery.

No mud,it was a mild trail but part off it did run in a flowing creek.I think the deepest part was only8-10 inches.

nathaniel
04-05-2005, 12:51 AM
[quote=TrojanMan]You clear codes when you disconnect the battery.

No mud,it was a mild trail but part off it did run in a flowing creek.I think the deepest part was only8-10 inches.

sounds like a fuel pump to me.

scubatch2
04-05-2005, 01:09 AM
sounds like a fuel pump to me.[/quote]

I had a hole in the tank(my fault)and just had it replaced last week.could the swapping of the pump to the new tank have any thing to do with this.

TrojanMan
04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
perhaps, its worth checking out. check your fuel line pressure

dasVettemeister
04-06-2005, 02:26 AM
It's either your fuel pump or a clogged filter. Check the filter first, as it's the least expensive. If it's neither, look at the fuel pressure regulator. If you have run the pump dry lately (ie. running out of gas) then I'd definitely figure that it's the pump. Running them dry damages the impeller being that the tolerances in there are pretty tight.

JeepinHank
04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
I'd lean towards the fuel filter too...

Definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem. And as Ponch/dasVettemeister said, filter is a helluva lot cheaper than a pump.

Also - with you having drilled into your tank, some of the plastic may have gotten into the fuel line and clogged the filter.