PDA

View Full Version : Pics of 760x compared to OX joint...

Krash80
03-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Cody's post http://www.mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1752 about the d44 being a shitty axle inspired me to post these pics.

These are the new(er) OX joints for the d44 that i installed in my Warn chromoly shafts. I haven't tested them yet, but i'm pretty confident they'll be a big improvement over the spicer stuff.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjoint2.jpg

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjoint3.jpg (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjoint3.jpg)

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjoint4.jpg

And here's what really surprised me...the OX joint weighs about 50% more than the 760!

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/760xweight.jpg (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/760xweight.jpg)

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjointweight.jpg (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/tech/ox-vs-760/oxjointweight.jpg)

LouisianaZJ
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
:rock:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-30-2005, 01:16 AM
nice, how much do those run, if you dont mind me asking?

LouisianaZJ
03-30-2005, 01:22 AM
i think they are about $240/ set of 2

ATL ZJ
03-30-2005, 01:37 AM
The OX joints got laughed at on Pirate. Also, the company is out of business. For $240, why not just go with Warn or CTM joints? Or for that matter, upgrade the whole shaft and the joint? www.alloyusa.com

LouisianaZJ
03-30-2005, 01:50 AM
he already has warn shafts :rolleyes:

CTM's are around $180 ea i believe

the joints in the alloy usa shafts are stock 760's as far as i know

my only big concern about the ox's it they look like they will wear quickly as there is no real bearings of any sort

ATL ZJ
03-30-2005, 02:06 AM
he already has warn shafts :rolleyes:

CTM's are around $180 ea i believe

the joints in the alloy usa shafts are stock 760's as far as i know

my only big concern about the ox's it they look like they will wear quickly as there is no real bearings of any sort

Whoops, didnt realize he already had the Warns. If it were me, I would definitely want to make sure that a joint failure didn't rip the ears of my expensive Warn shafts... which is a common occurence when a ujoint goes.

I thought the alloy USA shafts were going to be some sort of a scam, but their warranty makes me want to buy some when they're available. That is unless they include the stock 760s with them, which would just be dumb. And yes, I have heard the design of the OX joint criticized. If they were as good as they OX had planned for them to be, maybe they wouldn't have gone out of business. Just something to consider. That said, the OX joints would clearly be an improvement over stock 760s..

Jim311
03-30-2005, 03:24 AM
I don't even wanna know why you have a scale like that :flipoff2:

:weedman:

Krash80
03-30-2005, 04:25 AM
The joints w/ lifetime warranty and shipping from 4WPW were close to 300$ for the set of 2.

ATL ZJ-
Perhaps you should do a bit more research. The only people who laughed at Ox-joints on Pirate were close-minded sheeple who think CTM's are the only "super-joint" out there cause someone like Camo says so. In fact, if i remember correctly, as i don't buy/build things without doing LOTS of research, H8Monday was one of the only respectable member of Pirate who disliked the Ox-joints. And don't get me wrong, I have much respect for H8, but I think his comments/opinions were a bit skewed towards OX because he seemed to be an acquaintance of Jack, the founder of CTM, and IMO he was doing nothing more than sticking up for his friend (and even so, all this info/bickering was back in 2002 when Ox's weren't even available for public sale yet)....even BillaVista had positive things to say about Ox.

The Ox's were cheaper than CTM's, they seem easier to work on, and i dig the outside-the-box thinking that created them...all just my opinion of course. I also would like to try a new product and see for myself what they're capabilities are...what's wrong with that? Maybe i should just join the bandwagon and do a hp30/8.8 w/ clayton LA's and 37" MT/R's...just cause something's popular doesn't make it the best for my application.

I'm also not the least bit concerned about these joints ripping apart my expensive Warn shafts. To my knowledge there's been less than a handful of reported Ox-joint failures thus far, the first being only about 6 months ago, and all reported failures were by people who are a lot harder on their junk than I am. Yes, CTM's are made of 300M (a "tougher" version of 4340, what the Warn shafts are made of), and yes, 300M is "tougher" than the 8620 that the Ox's caps are made of (the body is 8620 and the little dealies that hold the "caps" in place are 4340), but i would personally rather have the parts of my u-joints that are in direct contact w/ my shafts be "softer" than the shafts themselves rather than harder like the CTM's...a distorted/worn u-joint cap is easier and cheaper to replace than a distorted/worn axleshaft ear, and a few spare u-joints take up a lot less room than a few spare shafts. And i'm using the term "softer" loosely when talking about 8620 as compared to 4340 or 300m...they're all nickel-chromium-molybdenum steels, but the 4340 and 300m are harder and the 8620 has a greater impact resistance.
I'm curious as to what specifically you've heard criticized about the design of the Ox-joint, as it seems ingenious to me...you seem to have a pretty strong opinion about them and i'd like to know what spurred that.

Also, please prove to me that Ox is out of business. As far as I'm aware, they're joints are still being produced, and I personally don't care whether Ox is making them or the subsidiary company of 4WPW is making them...there's still an assload of them available through 4WPW. I've heard rumor after rumor about Ox folding for the past 3 years, yet their products continue to improve and are still available...pretty interesting! Seriously...If you have proof of this I'd like to know because I need to make a call to 4WP and find out what they're gonna do for replacements once all the Ox's are gone, and i've read nothing other than rumors about Ox.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but like i mentioned earlier i don't make many uninformed purchases, and you seem to have this vast knowledge of Ox that I was unable to obtain through my research.

And besides...all the crap i bought has lifetime warranty...so no biggie if it breaks, as long as it doesn't take out my R&P w/ it when it goes. But like you said, the joints would clearly be an improvement over 760's, and i think the pictures alone are evidence of that.

LA ZJ-
If you're comparing CTM's to Ox's and talking about quick wear, you should know that NEITHER joint has needle bearings like a 760, and neither are recommended for on-road/continuous use. The CTM's use a bronze bushing between the caps and the trunions, and the Ox'se use a brass bushing...which is stronger...which wears better?...i have no idea as i don't know jack about non-ferrous metals.
But FWIW, my stock spicer shafts w/ 760's (also w/ lifetime warranty :rolleyes: ) are for winter use in the ZJ when it'll see fulltime 4x4 mode on the road.

[babble mode: OFF]- you fuckers quit ripping on my bling bling joints! :finga: :butthead:

hmmm...maybe that hoser looking for a 500 word essay should use what i just wrote for his college paper. :mrgreen:

-Ron-

Krash80
03-30-2005, 04:34 AM

Would you believe my mom bought it to accurately weigh CATNIP?

...no joke, that's the honest to God truth! :weedman:

dasVettemeister
03-30-2005, 05:54 AM
I'm not trying to be a dick,

-Ron-

Bullshit, I know you better than that! :smt003

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/dasvettemeister/attemptkirkladies.jpg

dasVettemeister
03-30-2005, 05:55 AM

Yeah, that's what it was ORIGINALLY used for.

OverkillZJ
03-30-2005, 06:41 AM
:rant:

Krash80
03-30-2005, 01:16 PM
FYI i spoke with Ox this morning. The company underwent some "restructuring" and is now owned by Florida Manufacturing Group, but is still the same Ox company it always was. According to Ox, the company is doing "VERY well" and is making it's products just as it always has.

And yes, I have heard the design of the OX joint criticized. If they were as good as they OX had planned for them to be, maybe they wouldn't have gone out of business. Just something to consider.

If you would do some research before posting slanderous comments about a company, maybe you wouldn't make an ass out of yourself. Just something to consider. :shake:

Cody
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM
I did a ton of research last night and I found a lot of positive feedback on the ox joints.....does anyone know what happend to the ox shafts that were in development--they were an out of the box design too with the ear's etc. being bolt together similar to the joins (if memory serves).

At any rate, I did a lot of digging about the jantz/yukon joint and I think that if I can pick those up for a reasonable price that is the way I'll go. The best price I've found on ox is 125 shipped per joint, which isn't bad but a little rich for my cheep blood.

Cody

ohh, and I don't think those comments were slanderous. rather libelous ;)(

ATL ZJ
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Well I stand corrected. Their Florida facilities were up for auction about a month or so ago. I will have to do a lot of searching to find the thread, but I will find it and copy the link here. Maybe someone bought them and restructured the company possibly?

I will also find the thread about the OX joints on Pirate. Sounds like they're better than I and many others realized. And no I have not run them, so I guess I shouldn't be commenting on them in the first place. I was simply relaying the general opinion of more informed others, although admittedly now not as accurately as I had thought. If I have come off as an ass, that was not my intention. I know that different stuff works better different people, and I was simply trying to reiterate the tried-and-true reputation of CTMs.

Like you, I also detest the posting of misinformation so I feel a little like a hypocrite here. I guess that's where making assumptions gets me though. Searching for those threads now...

Krash80
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM
ohh, and I don't think those comments were slanderous. rather libelous ;)(

Touche`...slander is verbal, libel is written. :prayer:

125$ shipped is probably about as good as you're gonna get on those joints. From what i've heard, it sounds like Ox has a pretty good reputation for replacing broken parts of any sort, so you've probably got a lifetime warranty on their joints anyway, i just figured as long as i was spending 900$+ on one set of shafts and joints i may as well spend the extra 13$ per joint for the extra coverage through 4WP just to be safe.

Krash80
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
If I have come off as an ass, that was not my intention. I know that different stuff works better different people, and I was simply trying to reiterate the tried-and-true reputation of CTMs.

Don't worry about it...I probably come off as a much bigger ass! I'm really not that big of a dick in person, i just get carried away w/ internet arguments.
:mrgreen:

There's no doubt CTM's are tried-and-true. Like i said before, the Ox's were cheaper and were available w/ lifetime warranty through a company i'm comfortable dealing with (though everyone else seems to hate...lol), so I figured I'd try them. In all reality, you'll probably be laughing in the end when my Ox-joints explode and take out my brake lines as i'm cresting over the top of Lion's Back and I plummet several hundred feet to my death. If that be the case, please bring this post back to the top cause it will make many people laugh. :supz:

ATL ZJ
03-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Okay, I know I saw it linked from either here or NAGCA but I couldn't locate that post. Here's a link from another forum about it that I found off Google. It informs that Ox Locker (Florida Manufacturing Group) was up for auction through the Myron-Bowling Company.

http://rcboards.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/2666019942/m/1061067611/r/2281097611

Here's another thread off Pirate in which everyone thought they were finished as well:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326396&highlight=florida+manufact uring+group

Here's yet another thread in which quality is questioned, the company's situation causes confusion, and then is clarified.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303288&highlight=florida+manufact uring+group

So in short, you are correct. Last I had heard was that they were going out of business, took a look around at what their online auction included, and heard nothing else. Looks likt you are dead on with Florida Manufacturing Group still owning OX, with Transamerican now bring their ultimate parent company.

Yeah I am not an ass in person either, I just get cocky on the internet too. :finga:

Cody
03-30-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm an ass in person. Moreso than on the internet.

So eat me.

Cody

dasVettemeister
03-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't worry about it...I probably come off as a much bigger ass! I'm really not that big of a dick in person, i just get carried away w/ internet arguments.

Ron lies. He's a fucking commie bastard. :finga:

Kraqa
03-30-2005, 04:46 PM

...no joke, that's the honest to God truth! :weedman:

i hope thats what you told the cop.