PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Access Moab Business List............

FinlayZJ
03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Dave's edit: I've been following the saga of this list pretty closely today, and until someone can PROVE that those businesses signed such a letter, I won't allow the info to be posted here.

Bustin' Loose
03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm trying to get more info from the SLC Tribune. Email has been sent. If I get a reply I will forward that info along. Till we can get verification, I would think we should err on the side of caution. No need to boycott businesses that have done no harm.

Most I have found so far is the following:

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_2623039

But that doesn't name names or even say that the ad was placed and it's not a letter to the Govenor. I've searched the tribune up and down and can not find any article or editorial regarding a letter sent to the Govenor about "anti-access" or limiting access. So if anyone else can find verification by all means let us know. Otherwise, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

FinlayZJ
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Feel free to edit or delete the post if needed. it was just on numerous boards so far, so I figured i'd pass it along.

BigDaveZJ
03-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Feel free to edit or delete the post if needed. it was just on numerous boards so far, so I figured i'd pass it along.

I'll keep this up so that as obtain new information we can post it here and if we do end up verifying that list, I will post it back up.

Nordic1
03-29-2005, 09:00 PM
If this needs to be deleted then cool but here's a link to the Pirate thread with the names/addresses of the businesses as well as developments in whats happening.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342865

JpRngr
03-30-2005, 03:10 AM
After reading more about this on RME, it appears the letter was in an advertisement in a couple Utah papers. Here is a copy of the letter.

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11273

The way the letter reads they're trying to preserve places that aren't currently wheeled. But I doubt that this is the full extent of the laws they're(SUWA- who is behind the letter) pushing for. The little bit that I read about them, they appear to be greenies. It also sounds like maybe some of the people who signed it, didn't fully grasp this.

Corey

P.S. Dave did you pull the list cause you're impartial to a certain beer? :partyman:

BigDaveZJ
03-30-2005, 10:27 AM
P.S. Dave did you pull the list cause you're impartial to a certain beer? :partyman:

If anything I should've kept that list up, then nobody would be buying their beer and I could have it all for myself!! MUWAHAHAHAHA

That letter (from what I could actually read of it) doesn't look too terribly bad, and I can see how someone could talk slick and convince someone to sign the thing without knowing the full intent of the organization behind it. If I haven't heard any details on anybody getting a respsonse from a couple of the places, I might stop in tomorrow and ask around.

BigDaveZJ
03-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Found this in the thread on JU, looks like someone got a respsone from McStiff's.

Eddie Mcstiffs’s position

Eddie McStiffs is a firm believer that off road vehicles have a place in the Moab recreation plan. We are concerned that unregulated off road travel, off road vehicles, bicycles, horseback and on foot, could lead to unwanted and illegal roads and trails placement in sensitive areas.
It is our hope that all factions can come together and create a usable master plan for backcountry use that will allow everyone to enjoy this incredible land that surrounds Moab.
We have a strong belief that through mutual cooperation we can all enjoy the recreation possibilities that Moab offers for a long time to come.

Eddie

Some pretty vague wording in there, but in general I agree with them.

HOOOOOORAY BEER!!

Bustin' Loose
03-30-2005, 12:07 PM
After reading more about this on RME, it appears the letter was in an advertisement in a couple Utah papers. Here is a copy of the letter.

Everything that I found seems to indicate the same. Still no word back from the SLC Tribune on getting an actual copy or link to the add or getting information on the sponsors of the add including the businesses that support it. We shall see. . .

For now, I guess the beer line does form at Eddie McStiff's . . .

BigDaveZJ
04-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Few word of mouth updates from some of the other boards. A lot of the businesses are apparently now claiming that they never gave SUWA permission to use their names on this letter. I know Moabilia is one of those, sure there's others. Cody has a lot more info on this.