PDA

View Full Version : P/S Cooler

nate
03-28-2005, 05:47 AM
I have a P/S cooler that was mouted in front of the radiator. I'm looking at moving it to allow more airflow to the radiator. What I was thinking of doing is putting it inside the stock "bumper" Now air won't be hitting too much there though. Will the cooler still work, just be less effective? or should I not bother with a cooler?

Here's some pics:

http://98jeepzj.com/MVC-170F.JPG

http://98jeepzj.com/MVC-171F.JPG

nate
03-28-2005, 05:48 AM
This is how it was setup before... well it's just mocked up in the pic, but you get the idea.

The tranny cooler is a B&M, the P/S cooler is from a Lincoln, both I put on there a few years ago.

http://www.98jeepzj.com/MVC-174F.JPG

JeepinHank
03-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd run the cooler if there's any way possible. Anything to help reduce the tranny temp is a good thing. The question is where to put it. I believe on the newer chevy HDs, they have a tranny cooler under the truck next to the transmission. The problem for us putting it there is mud clogging it up or rocks knocking a hole in it. You'll have a bigger problem mounting it under the stock plastic bumper - What if you bump a rock or something?

I can take a little bent sheet metal, but if you tap a tree or rock, and tranny fluid goes gushing - you're screwed....

Are you still having cooling issues?
Why not just leave it, or maybe move it over to the side a bit more?

LouisianaZJ
03-28-2005, 03:08 PM
das how mine are, right on the radiator

if i were you i would mount them there, but try to build a small bracket so the aux coolers are about 1" away from the radiator

ive seen the coolers mounted up inside the front bumpers that would be another option, but much less effective

nate
03-29-2005, 05:37 AM
The tranny cooler I'm gonna leave in the front.

The P/S cooling is what I'm thinking of moving into the stock "bumper". The Jeep runs on the hot side with highway driving, and I'm sure having all these coolers in the front isn't helping. I think the p/s cooler in the front is overkill really. Figure on most Jeeps there isn't even a cooler, and I've never heard of issues.

I'm thinking that this cooler I added is really just an "extra". Although it won't be as effective in the bumper, I think it will still disapate some heat over the stock setup.

Hank... there's an ARB that protects that "bumper".. so should protected quite well. The cooler fits in there pretty good.

Kraqa
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
do you still run your AC??? my jeep over heated alll the time and i never coudl use my AC. IF i were you i would ditch the AC all together. the stock AC couler is right in front of the rad and it will usually trap mud between the AC cooler and the RAD making the truck run super hot or even over heat. if you remove that cooler you can now use your AC pump as OBA AND you will gain a extra 1.5" between your accessorie coolers and your rad. think about it.

nate
03-29-2005, 10:20 PM
I thought about that, but the A/C works, and I hate to pull it out just because. I already have OBA too.

No mud between them, that's actually one of the first things I checked. New radiator as well, tank on the old one decided to come apart from the fins

I decided I'm going to put the p/s cooler in the bumper. Worse case it doesn't work out, it's not a huge ordeal to move it or whatever.

chadjans
03-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Run the cooler, I noticed imediately when I put mine on. Don't bother moving it. Not very big.

LouisianaZJ
03-30-2005, 01:30 AM
yeah, that little cooler is so small i dont see it causing you to overheat

how old is your water pump?

nate
03-30-2005, 02:48 AM
Well it doesn't actually overheat. After I run on the highway for a while... like an hour or whatever, it start to run hot... Like 220-230*. I know the p/s cooler blocking some air flow isn't helping things. What I am thinking is that the p/s cooler really doesn't need full air flow to it anyway, and by having it in the front it's just overkill.

I have had the cooler on for a few years, same as the tranny cooler. I haven't noticed any difference with the p/s. The tranny cooler will stay in the front though.

PassRunnerZJ
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I doubt that the tranny and PS cooler are the heat problems. My ZJ and Subi XT6 ran hot until I fixed the radiator(s). The XT6 could be rotted out, but the ZJ had to be replace ~114k. Jeep uses plastic tanks on the side of the radiator and they start leaking around the 110k mark. I picked up a one piece radiator and haven't had a heat issue in the last 40k and that includes running the Interstate passes in CO hard as well as 4wd time in the San Juans and Moab time.

I just added a tranny cooler that was scavinged from the bone yard in January and I haven't noticed any heat issues. Having them in front allows the fan to draw the air in when you are idling while waiting for your turn on a obstical. I'll have to keep my eye open for a PS cooler, I like the idea...

Incidently if you put it in the bumper and even lightly hit something you are likely to tear it up or push it into something else. Behind the grill you have some crush room. Foam filled bumper don't make good mounting points either.

nate
03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
There is an ARB bumper that mounts in front of that "bumper". New radiator so that's not the problem :mrgreen:

dasVettemeister
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
Keep the coolers where they are. FIX THE EXISTING PROBLEM!!!!! If you are overheating, then there is some sort of problem with your cooling system. It has nothing to do with where your aux coolers are placed. I live in Arizona and regularly drive on the highway in 115 degree PLUS temperatures. I have NEVER seen the temp gauge go above 210 degrees. This is even IN TRAFFIC WITH THE A/C ON!!!!! Either you need a new radiator, water pump, or thermostat or you just need to flush the hell out of the system. How about your radiator fan? Is the clutch ok, or are you running an electric one? Does it flow enough air for the size of the coling system? There is no reason for it to be running that hot. Also check the ignition timing. If it is retarded, you will see hotter than normal temps. I found the best cooling efficiency by running 30% coolant in the summer with a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. Good luck.

nate
03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Yup, that's the basics... I am a mechanics son, and work part time as one too... believe me, I've gone over alot of stuff. The radiator is new, new hoses, t stat. I haven't touched the water pump, but I've never heard of a water pump that just stopped working without it making noise or starting to leak.

There was no problem before I installed the coolers. So.... I'd have to guess that's probably the cause. I can't think of anything else it could be. Like I said, it doesn't overheat, but it runs on the hotter side, enough to get me concerned.

Yeah it's an efan, from a WJ. I have one from a Taurus to put in.

Now, I'm not worried about the running hot thing so much as placing the p/s cooler in a good place. I'll figure something out tonight or whatever...

LouisianaZJ
03-31-2005, 04:33 PM
I'll have to keep my eye open for a PS cooler, I like the idea...

my ps cooler is just a light duty trans cooler from permacool. only about $20-$25 from summit

TrojanMan
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna go grab another ZJ tranny cooler, it will mount the same way on the passenger side it looks like.

Should I run dual tranny coolers and try to baby my 42RE before it dies or do a P/S cooler to favor the 35's i'll be moving to?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-31-2005, 05:39 PM
theres no need for dual coolers on a ZJ. If it doesnt get up to operating temp that'll give you about as good results as if you overheat it.

BTW you should wheel with the 31's before you move up in tire size. Too many people have 35's just to say they have 35's. DON'T DEW IT! :finga:

TrojanMan
03-31-2005, 08:56 PM
theres no need for dual coolers on a ZJ. If it doesnt get up to operating temp that'll give you about as good results as if you overheat it.

BTW you should wheel with the 31's before you move up in tire size. Too many people have 35's just to say they have 35's. DON'T DEW IT! :finga:

Lol don't worry Elliot! I'm only gathering parts now. Summer is approaching.. i'll be wheeling tons more then. I know what you're saying - I'm not gonna be one of those dudes!

By the way I met a guy down at the beach yesterday.. I shook his hand while he was in his truck. I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach his hand.. and i'm 6'1!!!!

PassRunnerZJ
04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I haven't touched the water pump, but I've never heard of a water pump that just stopped working without it making noise or starting to leak.

There was no problem before I installed the coolers. So.... I'd have to guess that's probably the cause. I can't think of anything else it could be. Like I said, it doesn't overheat, but it runs on the hotter side, enough to get me concerned.

Yeah it's an efan, from a WJ. I have one from a Taurus to put in.

Now, I'm not worried about the running hot thing so much as placing the p/s cooler in a good place. I'll figure something out tonight or whatever...

I have heard of water pump that start to cavitate the coolant when the blades wear down and the tolerance is too great .

You didn't say where it is getting too hot at, in town or highway. If it is in town, do you have the whole radiator shrouded so that the fan pulls air across the whole fan? Perhaps the temp sensor on the fan is too high and it isn't starting soon enough.

If it is running hot on the highway the amount of air coming through the radiator is most likely greater than the amount of air the fan can pull so you might try raising the back of your hood 1/4" or so and see if you and use the negitive pressure at the back of the hood to pull the heat out.

Nordic1
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
I have 35"s :partyman:

nate
04-04-2005, 06:41 PM
On the highway.

I tried the hood thing, it would always blow hot air into the fresh air vents... and didn't help with running hot.

I've got a few things to install to fix it, if that doesn't work out I'll have to think it's the water pump or an engine problem.

PassRunnerZJ
04-04-2005, 08:16 PM
That must be why the 5.9s have the vents so close to the front of the hood. Too many moose (meese) stuck in the AC condensor and bent the fins :smt001

Other than water pump, the only thing I can think of is a radiator cap which I'm sure you've check or replaced when you installed the new radiator. One more out of the box kind of though. Can you build a short temporary air dam behind the ARB bumper but in front of the radiator to eleminate a weird air vacuum behind the ARB bumper?

TrojanMan
04-15-2005, 12:01 PM
I have 35"s :partyman:

Yeah well I have a stroker.

Or atleast she'll be running soon. :smt117

nate
04-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah I have a tizzarus fan to put in too... even on low that sucker is pulling like 3x than the one I have in there. I bet if I leave the Jeep in neutral and turn the fan on, it's start pulling me forward :mrgreen:

TrojanMan
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah I have a tizzarus fan to put in too... even on low that sucker is pulling like 3x than the one I have in there. I bet if I leave the Jeep in neutral and turn the fan on, it's start pulling me forward :mrgreen:

Haha that'd be so sweet. I'd drive over to wherever you are just to see that.