PDA

View Full Version : hey all again- big question for the roof cutters

luvthejeep
03-27-2005, 12:00 PM
sup everyone- havent been on in a while, hope everythings cool-

big changes here- i just scored a job in the virgin islands and im taking the jeep with me- since its 85 degrees average there i really want to chop the top- i dont know if i want to do the swampy chop like an avalanche or if i want to go all the way to the b pillar- for those ov you taht have done it what would you guys have done diffrent? structural integrity solutions?? let me know- good to talk to you guys again-

tony

Swamp boy
03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I didnt go to the B pillar because I needed the back seat... If I had a cage I would probobly go all the way to the windshield and just bolt the frame to the cage...

Are you going to be wheeling in the V I If not picking up a sunroof and popping that baby in might be cool to...

If you are going to cut your roof you will have to tie it back in... And the side sectio where the rear hatch is will need to be conntected somehow as well..

I originally tech welded the lower section of the hatch back on...
Like this...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM002637.jpg

That turned out not to work... Because I broke a tail light and had to take it off... What would work is to weld a piece of 1/4" rod across the top and have it bend down on each end and drill two holes in the sheet metal you use to cover the D pilar area then you can simply drop the rods into the holes and latch the tail gate on.... That would be pretty sweet..

I thought of this the other day when I was talking to someone else about what I would have done differently...( I liked the way it looked with the tail gate....

Now back to the roof.... You could take a piece of pipe.. 1" or so and run it the shape of the roof from floor up.. and attatch that to the roof
I would probobly roll about 3/4 of an inch onto the pipe and weld it on... Then I would attatch that to the floor and probobly drill some holes thru it and put some sheet metal screws thru and into the C pillar ... (4 per side maybe...)

THis will not hold you up in the event of a roll over but it will keep your roof from wobbleing when you drive down the road... THe other option is to close the back in like I did..My cab is very rigid..( probobly Stronger than stock..) the way it is set up now..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/swampboy/Swampy%20Pics/IM002642.jpg

Do some kind of photo shop image of how you want it to look and let us see.... Mine are always crappy but it gives me an Idea what I have to do...

Carl