PDA

View Full Version : May have drilled into fuel tank

scubatch2
03-27-2005, 12:00 AM
OK,so here it is.I think I screwed up big time.Installing air tank in back and went to drill into floor to mount tank and thats when It happened.it looks likeblack plastic was coming out on the drill bit and if you smell the hole it smells like fuel.I thought there was a gap between the tank and the body. Well I siliconed over the hole and I hope I don't loose fuel unless I'm at 75% or more. Any helpfull hits, or thoughts.

OverkillZJ
03-27-2005, 12:03 AM
LMFAO

I'd pull the tank and inspect.. then decide what to do :drinkers:

Swamp boy
03-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Ayup... There is a gap but its only about 3/4 of an inch on mine...

I dont know if thats the same on all..

I think I would either drop the tank or put the rig on ramps and climb under it and look.... You may be able to see... From the front ...

scubatch2
03-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Can I just silicone the hole its only a 5/16 bit size,or is there something special I need to get. Dam I HATE DOING STUPID THINGS!!!!!

Nordic1
03-27-2005, 12:44 AM
There was a tiny hole in my tank... I used silicone to seal it as well

scubatch2
03-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Being that its a plastic tank,can I just run a bolt into the hole retapping it to seal.I realy don't have time to drop the tank for a couple of weeks.

Nordic1
03-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Being that its a plastic tank,can I just run a bolt into the hole retapping it to seal.I realy don't have time to drop the tank for a couple of weeks.

I probably wouldn't do that...

nate
03-27-2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah that would work too. Don't really matter as long as the hole is plugged.

OverkillZJ
03-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Ya, uh, personaly I'd want to SEE the hole being patched... but whatever, not my rig!

Jim311
03-27-2005, 02:50 PM
It's not like sparks or heat could potentially blow your Jeep up or anything. I'm sure half assing it will be fine.

:flipoff2:

dasVettemeister
03-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Yup, that's a great idea. Then when your tank shifts slightly in relation to the body and it cracks the tank or elongates the hole, fuel will drip out onto hot exhaust and BOOM!!!! Darwinism at work.

nate
03-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Fuel won't spill out and blow up. I've owned several rigs were you couldn't fill it past 3/4 tank or whatever because it would just leak... like drip on the ground leak. I'm still alive.

Kraqa
03-27-2005, 06:48 PM
dam, 11 reply's and no one has stated the obviouse.

double bubble????

step one chew gum
step two patch tank

Jim311
03-27-2005, 07:43 PM
I actually had a YJ that had leaky lines right over the exhaust. It never caught fire.

OverkillZJ
03-27-2005, 07:48 PM
I actually had a YJ that had leaky lines right over the exhaust. It never caught fire.

Doesn't make it right.

Patch the hole.

Swamp boy
03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I pissed on an electric fence once and didnt get shocked... But when my brother did it the next day we had to rush him to a hospital... It burned his willy... :smt003

I think it was off when I did it...

Moral of this story is ...Doing something stupid because someone else got away with it is a bad Idea...... :finga: :finga:

:smt003

OverkillZJ
03-27-2005, 09:23 PM
I almost pissed myself reading that :drinkers: :partyman: :rock: :weedman: :smt003

PassRunnerZJ
03-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Doesn't the saying "don't have time to fix it right the first time, you don't have the time to fix it again" work here? You have time to install an air tank, but you don't have time to fix the screw-up? Undo the straps, lower the tank and at least feel if you have buggered it up. Most likely you did from the description, black plastic and smell of gas. Or perhaps you going to use the fuel tank to help hold the air tank along with the sheet metal?

Fix idea: You should be able to put a low profile sheet metal screw in the hole with some kind of an o-ring gasket to keep fuel/vapor in and dirt out.

Side note: I noticed that my ZJ started leaking fuel when I did a full fill-up and I found out after dropping the tank that the fuel pump screw down came loose and needed to be re-tightend. After installing a new seal and retightening no more leak. Yes most likely you can drive for a while with some leaking from the top, but fix it and fix it soon. It is amazing the amount of dirt that is accumulated on top of the tank.

I know a guy that put a hole in the bottom of his trucks metal fuel tank when he was in Mexico and used a soap bar to temporarily fix it, at least until it got wet.

scubatch2
03-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I don't think you guys understand. I am going to drop the tank and fix it but I ran out of time.I will not have time for about 2-3 weeks.I was hopeing on a solution to get me through till then.Lets just calm down with the Darwin comments :smt065

Jim311
03-27-2005, 10:45 PM

Doesn't make it right.

Patch the hole.

Yeah, I wasn't saying he shouldnt. I had it fixed immediately when I found out. But it's tough to see a leak when the exhaust is vaporizing the fuel. Not to mention gasoline evaporates so quickly.. I'm sure it had been leaking for months unbeknownst to me. :supz:

Swamp boy
03-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I was just poking fun... But I am serious about climbing under and looking at the tank.. You may be able to see..

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-28-2005, 12:51 AM
maybe i'm lost but does your community not have a junkyard. I'm sure a new gas tank would run you less than $50. Do it right the 1st time.

Krash80
03-28-2005, 02:58 AM
I pissed on an electric fence once and didnt get shocked... But when my brother did it the next day we had to rush him to a hospital... It burned his willy... :smt003

I call BS on this one. Didn't you see the episode of "Myth Busters" where they tried to prove the myth of people getting electrocuted by peeing on train tracks? They tried everything from insane voltages to having the dummy stand in a tub of water while whizzing on the "live" track and never got any sort of shock at all to the dummy. Not to mention most electric fences are not designed to electrocute people...they're set up to shock livestock to deter them from trying to go outside the fence.
We'll believe this story when you post pics of your bro's crispy wang...not that I'm :gay: and want to see his junk (wow, i can just imagine the comments i'll get from this statement), i just think your story is made up. :finga:

About that fuel tank...once you drop it down to patch it, don't just dab some silicone over the hole...it'll probably eventually shrink and fall in the tank and clog your fuel pump and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere at the mercy of some big mexican dude named Jesus (hey`-zoos) who will make you his toss his salad in exchange for a ride to civilization where you'll find incompetent auto parts stores that don't carry the correct fuel pump for your jeep and Jesus will leave you at Napa all by yourself and you'll be forced to clean bathrooms and sweep floors there to earn cash for a bus pass to the nearest jeep dealership who will charge you 600$ for a fuel pump...and then you've gotta get back to that Napa to sweep more floors to earn cash for that fuel pump...and then more bus passes etc etc...you can see where this is going....no bueno sen`ior!
Instead...make a patch that's a couple inches wide/long and silicone arond the hole and glue the patch over it.

OverkillZJ
03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Man, Rons been in Rant Mode! :weedman:

Cue-Ball
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
It's not like sparks or heat could potentially blow your Jeep up or anything. I'm sure half assing it will be fine.

:flipoff2:

I agree. You may have already done something stupid, don't follow it up with another stupid move.

scubatch2
03-31-2005, 03:08 AM
New fuel tank is in($50 at junk yard) Thanks.

nate
03-31-2005, 05:13 AM
I would have just thrown some RTV on it.

dasVettemeister
03-31-2005, 06:31 AM

And it feels good knowing you fixed things properly, right? Now you owe yourself a beer. :drinkers:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-31-2005, 01:53 PM

which is exactly what i reccomended on page 1 :axe: