PDA

View Full Version : Need a new hard drive

Cue-Ball
03-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Hey guys I need a bigger hard drive to upgrade this crappy 20GB drive at home.

Anyone got a spare drive laying around, maybe a 60GB or 80GB?

Needs to be an IDE drive for a desktop.

Thanks.

Nordic1
03-25-2005, 05:09 AM
You can get a 7200 rpm (good speed) like 200-300gb HDD for like 150-200 bucks from like Seagate (I run theirs), Maxtor, etc.

Lol going to chime in Overkip?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Lol going to chime in Overkip?

he's probably :weedman: right now

OverkillZJ
03-25-2005, 12:07 PM
The only thing I'm going to chime in with is that if you're computer's old enough to have a 20 gig drive, there's a good chance saying it's not worth upgrading :drinkers:

I have lots of 80 gigs laying around, but they're FCCS warranty stock so I need them for emergency parts, but I'd check out www.tigerdirect.com for some of the rebates on drives, can be had for 30-40 sometimes if you look around a lil'. :rolleyes:

Raacerx
03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Dirk, Ill sell yuo my new Western Digital 80gig 7200rpm Harddrive if you want. I want to run Serial ATA but for some reason I bought a IDE harddrive. I just built the computer a couple months ago, drive has a 5 year warranty.

I cant remember what I paid, but it was a good price and Ill sell it under that. I want to setup a RAID.

Nordic1
03-25-2005, 07:06 PM
don't bother with raid.... it's cool and it's bling bling but it's really kinda silly as you won't actually be gaining all that much performance

Cue-Ball
03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Sorry guys it is actually a 40 GB drive. I am actually looking to ad a second drive and then blow this one away and start out fresh.

Max, How much you want for your drive?

OverkillZJ
03-26-2005, 12:30 AM
don't bother with raid.... it's cool and it's bling bling but it's really kinda silly as you won't actually be gaining all that much performance

You're an idiot, NOW I'll chime in.

SATA RAID is the greatest thing to low end servers and desktop computers since, well, hyperthreading. You can either mirror two drives or stripe them. If you mirror them, you have identical performance (if it's hardware RAID) or unoticably slower performance if it's software RAID (Don't do software raid, you can't RAID the OS partition that way.)

If you stripe them, you gain some damn good performance but no redudancy gain.

Hell, you can do RAID 5 with SATA as well which is an odd combination of the two.

I don't expect many of you to listen to this blabber, but I wouldn't suggest listening to Chase considering he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. :weedman: :finga:

Cue-Ball
03-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Agreed, there is substantial benefit for using RAID, not to mention data protection.

Nordic1
03-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Well... Why raid 1? Data protection from what? HDD failure? I don't know about you guys but I haven't EVER had a hard drive fail on me. And unless you're running a server or you have data you can't back up on some CDs, I personally think it's something of a waste. Especially if you get some really expensive hard drives... why pay 2x for something to prevent something that's probably never going to happen?

Why raid 0? Dirk doesn't do massive amounts of media editing (well atelast not as far as I understand) so why get the faster hard drive setup? And in this setup if one drive fails, you loose everything anyway. Besides what are the specs on Dirks current computer? I bet you anything a raid won't really help if he's running an outdated system (I have a 2.8 P4 socket 478and some people consiuder that outdated). If better performance is an issue, don't you think his computer might benifit more from a new processor, some ram or something like that?

So what else is there? Raid 0 + 1 (that's atleast 4 identical hard-drives)

Or Raid 5 (isn't that three hard drives)?

So why not just get 1 nice hard-drive from a respectable manufacture and backup your important information on a regular basis?

Lol but I'm just a jesus sandal webwheelin crappy welder kinda person so don't take any of this too seriosuly

Raacerx
03-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I dont think were talking about RAID for Dirk. On my computer, aside from a new video card, Im not really going to do anything else for performance. I know just 1 SATA will be considerably faster then IDE, but why not just do RAID and double the buffer and stuff? On of my friends is just like you Chase and thinks RAID is stupid. Of course he has a 3700+ Athlon64 so I dont think speed is a big issue for him. My other friend swears by it on his somewhat slower computer. I just think it could be a better deal to get 2 cheaper SATA drives and RAID them instead of getting 1 very nice SATA drive with higher rpm and buffer.

Nordic1
03-26-2005, 06:31 PM
yea I guess.... like everything else in the world, the decition to do raid is all personal preference...

OverkillZJ
03-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Chase,

Do not ever, ever, ever argue with me on antying about computers, networks, or server administration. It isn't only my job, it's my business. It isn't only what I do, it's an obsession. I'm not going to take the time to rip into you're little tidbits you googled (some right, some wrong I might add) - but it would probably be wise for you to shut the fuck up before I start making you sound like more of an ass.

That is all.

Edit: Let me add: It's not IF a hard drive will fail, it's WHEN. There's no if's and's or but's about it. The argument for SATA raid wasn't presented for Dirk, it was presented against your comments towards racerx wanting to do it. Frankly, SATA RAID should be on all desktop computers which you depend on, the cost is truly nothing compared to the frustration of downtime while reloading the OS, patches, and configuration; let alone data loss.

Nordic1
03-27-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry sir

lol

I get my info from Maximum PC's forum... I doubt what I posted is 100% correct as I haven't worked on computer stuff for awhile. And yes you do know a hell of alot more about it than I do.

nate
03-27-2005, 02:57 AM
What the fuck is RAID?

Nordic1
03-27-2005, 03:07 AM
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG... OK? lol

What RAID actually stands for I don't know. RAID for the most part is where you have you have multiple computer hard-drives doing a series of tasks together... In some instances working together creates excellent storage redundancies creating zero loss of data. In others hard-drive performance (read and write times) is greatly increased. lol what a crappy explanation.

In raid 0 (stripped?) you have 2 identical computer hard drives that are tied together. In a non raid computer with one hard drive, the data is recorded onto that hard-drive. In raid 0, the data is split in half sending half the data to one hard drive and the other half to another identical hard-drive. This theoretically makes your hard-drives read/write times (performance) 2x as fast. You would use this in computers that go through massive amounts of data... like music and video editing. Some gamers do that as well.

In raid 1 (mirrored) you have 2 identical computer hard drives that are tied together. Except in this case, exact copies of the data are sent to each hard-drive. So you have 2 copies of the same date, This is used when you have data that can not be lost (ie hard-drive failure). Alot of servers and corperations do this one.

But most Joe-Shmo computer owners don't really need to worry about this. For stuff like RAID 1, most hard-drives last well over a decade without loosing muvh if any data... And most computers would see major performance gains if they were to invest in something aside from Raid 0. That and RAID is not exactly the easiest thing to setup.

There are types of RAID like 0+1, 5, etc but they are mostly combos of 1 and 0.

I learned this from reading on another forum beforeI built my computer. I'm sure Matt hows RAID down to a science so if he corrects me, take his explanation over mine.

nate
03-27-2005, 07:17 AM
Ok.

Decade on a hard drive? Nah. I have had lots of hard drives shit the bed. Work find one day, and the next just stop working. Backup important stuff often.

OverkillZJ
03-27-2005, 09:21 AM
What the fuck is RAID?

Ant killer spray :partyman:

Nordic1
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
aint killer spray?

:finga:

That's ok I already see several spelling, grammatical and missing words out of my explanation.

Ok.

Decade on a hard drive? Nah. I have had lots of hard drives shit the bed. Work find one day, and the next just stop working. Backup important stuff often.

I have a few hard-drives laying around from my 75mhz Pentium 1 that still works... And now that I think about it, I am going to chuck some of my ancient HDDs to clear up some space. Maybe my compters have been wierd that I have yet to loose a drive.

OverkillZJ
03-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Chase - I missed your post above. Your definitions of RAID 0 and 1 are pretty much correct, RAID 5 is 3 or more drives tied together in such a way that both speed and redundancy can be obtained by writing parity bits on more than one drive. If one drive fails the others still contain that drives data spread across them. What's cool about 5 is that the more drives you add, the more redundant space you get unlike 1 which is always 50%.

RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.

A few tidbits: The average hard drive life is an AVERAGE of 3 years. That's with normal useage. I've had drives fail in under a year, and others last for a decade.

Another tidbit: My last customers hard drive failure (since he didn't backup his data to the server like he's supposed to) cost him (sit down) 4... THOUSAND... DOLLARS.. to recover 3 GB off of a small formfactor laptop drive. At least I'm on commission by % for that bill :weedman: