PDA

View Full Version : WJ D44AL Mini-Spool, I Made One

JohnBoulderCO
03-25-2005, 04:09 AM
Well, I'm going wheeling in week, and wanted to get locked in the rear.

The rear 8.8 swap is going slow......so....weld up the D44AL or....Dave said see if you can make a semi-custom mini spool for it, hmmmmm

I took a standard D44 mini-spool (these things are cheap) and did a little machining to make it fit in a WJ D44AL QD carrier. I was surprised how little machining it took to make it work. Since the QD carrier is like a posi and has all those clutch packs, the width between the spider gears is slightly smaller then a standard open D44.

I didn't want to weld it up. The clutch packs keep one spider gear in the correct location. All that heat might distort the clutch packs and change the preload on the spider side gear.

I'm going to make some final measurements, put everything back together and give it a go on the street and trail.

I think the reason Aussie never finished their locker is because of all the differences. The WJ QD and WJ open carriers are different. The WJ and ZJ carriers are different....lots of variations, small market.

Do spools really rule? :mrgreen:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-25-2005, 05:58 AM
any pics of this? I'm trying to visualize what all is involved. BTW you know you could make/sell these on JU for like $500 a pop right? :mrgreen:

JohnBoulderCO
03-25-2005, 11:30 AM
any pics of this? I'm trying to visualize what all is involved. BTW you know you could make/sell these on JU for like $500 a pop right? :mrgreen:

I machined the ends of the left and right spider gears, the ones with the splines. They were turned down to slide into the carrier's side. The OD was a little too big. I know, pics would be better. I reverse engineered the mini-spool to be the same dimensions as the set of 4 spider gears.

A little business opportunity. I was thinking the same thing. I would have the QD one finished first. Then get an open WJ carrier, to complete the WJ product line.

You really think I could get $500 a pop for a modified Aussie locker? :mrgreen:

nathaniel
03-25-2005, 10:30 PM

I machined the ends of the left and right spider gears, the ones with the splines. They were turned down to slide into the carrier's side. The OD was a little too big. I know, pics would be better. I reverse engineered the mini-spool to be the same dimensions as the set of 4 spider gears.

A little business opportunity. I was thinking the same thing. I would have the QD one finished first. Then get an open WJ carrier, to complete the WJ product line.

You really think I could get $500 a pop for a modified Aussie locker? :mrgreen:

I think you could get 500 each for anything thats not a spool. Even the mini you could get 150 easy just not sure how many you would sell.

I know of a few people who would like to distribute your endevor if it works out.

Jim311
03-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Maybe if you made a selectable locker or even a lunchbox locker for it people would buy it for 500.... but a spool? Nah.

Nordic1
03-26-2005, 01:10 PM
You could still get 200-250 for custom machined minispools (JU)

Jim311
03-26-2005, 02:15 PM

Man, I'm not sure the noobs over at JU would want to run a spool though. It's not exactly for the faint of heart...

Nordic1
03-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Pimp it as "Tired of 1 tire spinning, throw this unique locker into your axle and have 100% traction, 100% of the time!!!!!"

Or tell them its adds like 7 HP :rolleyes:

gsh
03-26-2005, 03:43 PM

Man, I'm not sure the noobs over at JU would want to run a spool though. It's not exactly for the faint of heart...

I'm not sure I'd want to be on the road with noobs running spools.

JohnBoulderCO
03-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Well, I did a lot of miles today with the mini-spool in. Highway, city streets, work parking lot, Target parking lot....

It isn't that bad. It doesn't lift a front wheel, some said I would.
It doesn't lean like Dave's during sharp turns, since I still have the sway bars on.

Of course it does chirp and slip/slid on full lock turns in the parking lot, even with 45psi in the rear tires, but I expected worse.

On wide turns or long sweeping turns, the steering is just a little heavier, other then that, no difference. You can't tell at all in a straight line, but that's obvious.

It should be fun to try on some trails this weekend.

BigDaveZJ
03-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Good to hear you're liking it so far John. I'll definitely agree that my ZJ isn't the best represenation of a spool. Also, don't you have LA's? That'll help with the lean and bucking you felt in mine.

JohnBoulderCO
03-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Yep, I have Clayton's LA's on (in my sig). I won that discount coupon at GSW last year!!! (Lucky Dog)

Now, should I dive into trying to make a modified Aussie locker and peddle them on JU?

JohnBoulderCO
04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Just got back from Moab.

Running a spool on the highway and streets, no issues, with sway bars on and rear tires pumped up to 45psi. The steering just feels a little heavy on the tighter turns.

With the front sway bar disco'd the WJ does lean a bit and chirp the rear tires more. But it's OK since it's just before hitting the trails.

On the trail it kicks ass!!! Only when making full lock turns on slick rock does being spooled make the WJ buck and chirp.

Being locked front and rear makes Dump Bump easy.
It really takes the WJ to a new level. I know those before us, Anton, Mike Lib, Jim, Henly got fully locked, but they swapped the rear axles.

So I did some harder things with Cody coaching. Thanks Cody!
Potato Salad Hill was no big deal, after you decide you can do it, peer pressure works wonders. Rock Chucker the same.

I might move on to making an Aussie Locker fit the WJ, but only for slightly better street driving.

Edit: Can't make an Aussie, won't work in a QD carrier since all the QD disks are clamped against the left side splined spider gear. Can't disengage and free turn on the left side, only on the right side. Must be why Aussie and Powertrax say the carrier must be open.

Wanted to add this to keep my info up to date and accurate.

Spools do rule! Aussie...moving parts, what was I thinking?