PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Fender-well chopping question...(kraqa?)

Krash80
03-21-2005, 11:21 PM
My front axle's probably only an inch or two forward from the stock location, and i need to make some clearance on the backside of the front fenderwells. What i'm trying to find out is (specificly on the passenger side) how far back the inside of that fenderwell can be chopped before reaching the passenger side floor inside the jeep....it looks like there's all sorts of misc crap metal that doesn't need to be there. So just wondering if anyone has any pics of anything they trimmed and rewelded to gain a large amount of room behind the front tires.

Kraqa-
I was looking at your pics of how you moved your battery tray, and that's pretty much what i'm looking at doing, however just on the backside of the front fenderfenderwell instead....just seeing if anyone's got any pics of what's under the first layer of sheetmetal inside that fenderwell.

Thanks,
-Ron-

ATL ZJ
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I know there's a little room there. That's where I drilled through the fender to mount my rocklights. I went in at least 2" after I made the hole and didn't hit anything, and there's been no water leaking into the Jeep from the road or visible holes so I guess I'm fine. Sorry I can't give a more exact number, but that's the best input can offer. Good luck with it.

Kraqa
03-21-2005, 11:35 PM
'l posty pics of the back side of the fender. there really isn't that much. my parents have the cam right now i'l see whati can do. but you wont' gain that much room on the back side.

deadman
03-22-2005, 03:21 AM
That is how much I have cut:

http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/6290.jpg

http://jeep.cfasp.de/upload/6291.jpg

...I hope that helps.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 03:45 AM
I've always liked how JayDee cut his fenders...

dial up beware!

http://www.redrockfabrication.com/images/video1.mpg

Kraqa
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
he's nto talking about the fender it self. He is talking abotu the inner fender. I'm sure at this point Krash can figure out how to chop a fender with a sawzall.

Krash80
03-22-2005, 09:07 PM
he's nto talking about the fender it self. He is talking abotu the inner fender. I'm sure at this point Krash can figure out how to chop a fender with a sawzall.

LOL... this is true, but i do appreciate the pics. :)

(on a side note, there are some amusing pics of some of my fender trimming on JU in the XJ forum under "35" boggers on my MexJay")

I can probably also figure out on my own how to chop the inner fender well, but rather than do exploratory surgery under the unibody's delicate skin, i figured i'd see if anyone had any pics first. I've got the axle under the jeep with a tire on it flexed up into the fenderwell, and it "looks" like i'll be able to get full compression (longarm touching the bottom of frame rail), lock to lock, with a 35" tire by just hacking out some of the backside of the fenderwell. Otherwise if i can't make enough room back there, i'll have to move the axle forward more and then chop out the battery tray Kraqa style...and then deal with 100 other issues of all sorts of crap not lining up.

-Ron-

dasVettemeister
03-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Just get out the sawzall and start cuttin' you pussy!

Mmmmmmm....... sawzall......... :prayer:

You better have that thing done by the time I get back there to Hellinois.

Kraqa
03-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Just get out the sawzall and start cuttin' you pussy!

Mmmmmmm....... sawzall......... :prayer:

You better have that thing done by the time I get back there to Hellinois.

I like how you think.

Back to the topic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/randoms/100_1245.jpg

there really isn't much more then you can do to this fender.......Unless you like moving wires. I used a sledge hammer on mine pushed it in a bit. now if i wana get any more clearance i'l have to start relocating all the wirering on the other side. Then i would chop out the floor/ fender and weld on a new high clearance one.

I dont have a pic of the amount of wires but go out side and peel back yoru carpet. there is quite a bit.

Krash80
03-24-2005, 04:11 AM
thanks Kraqa...exactly the sort of pic i was looking for. As long as i'm chopping crap out of the fenderwell, i've decided to finally do my cut-out rockers at the same time. What size tubing did you use for yours? It looks perfect, but is making me think the 4x4x3/16" tubing i've got for mine will be too big.

Thanks again,
-Ron-

assVettemucher-
you talk a lot of shit for someone w/ a ZJ on a BB and 31's. :weedman:

dasVettemeister
03-24-2005, 07:25 AM
assVettemucher-
you talk a lot of shit for someone w/ a ZJ on a BB and 31's. :weedman:

I don't need much bigger than that on a daily driver. At least it hasn't been sitting on jackstands for 18 months!!! :butthead:

Is it done yet?

Kraqa
03-24-2005, 10:42 AM
4x3x3/16

and just a word of fore warning. i did cut out rockers befor and they are no where as strong as the frame mounted ones. i drop HARD on a few rocks and they were fine. but as soon as the sheet metal above the rocker gets dented the HSS fold up into the bottom of your doors. So brake it to the frame like i did the THIRD time around .