PDA

View Full Version : Broken RK track bar mount

Jim311
03-21-2005, 10:49 PM
A buddy of mine broke his RK track bar mount on his ZJ with RK longarm setup on it. He was basically incapacitated until we got a buddy with an onboard welder to come weld him up. All the welds on the trackbar mount failed! I think he's looking for a new mount soon... anybody got any good ideas? He's at about 7 inches of lift... I ended up towing him home behind my ZJ on a flatbed. Hauling another ZJ behind a lifted ZJ isn't fun!

OverkillZJ
03-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Let's hear it for RockCRAP! hoooray!

Jim311
03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Let's hear it for RockCRAP! hoooray!

No joke.. up until this point he's beat the fuck outta that RK lift though with no problems. Everything the lift was ATTACHED to has fallen apart however :rolleyes:

We were basically stranded until the onboard welder arrived.

Nordic1
03-22-2005, 12:15 AM
A buddy of mine broke his RK track bar mount on his ZJ with RK longarm setup on it. He was basically incapacitated until we got a buddy with an onboard welder to come weld him up. All the welds on the trackbar mount failed! I think he's looking for a new mount soon... anybody got any good ideas? He's at about 7 inches of lift... I ended up towing him home behind my ZJ on a flatbed. Hauling another ZJ behind a lifted ZJ isn't fun!

RE extreme duty trackbar is nice

Personally if I were to do it again, I would have built or modded the stock trackbar out of like 1/4" and then use joints that use a bolt that's bigger than 12mm.... IMO the 12mm bolts (is that the right size?) on the RE extreme duty kinda leave me with an unsettling feeling (can you say "snap"?)

OverkillZJ
03-22-2005, 12:18 AM

RE extreme duty trackbar is nice

Personally if I were to do it again, I would have built or modded the stock trackbar out of like 1/4" and then use joints that use a bolt that's bigger than 12mm.... IMO the 12mm bolts (is that the right size?) on the RE extreme duty kinda leave me with an unsettling feeling (can you say "snap"?)

Ya, because everybody breaks the bolts on the extreme duty RE bars, and a sleeving a stock bar is SO MUCH better :butthead:

Nordic1
03-22-2005, 12:35 AM
I meant like... getting an RE large cartridge and some 1.5" dom... The stock bar is a piece of crap

Jim311
03-22-2005, 01:07 AM
Dude, it wasn't the trackbar itself that broke. It was the mount on the frame that sheared. The track bar itself held fine.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:21 AM
I have kevins/JKS conversion and its held up fine

Jim311
03-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I have kevins/JKS conversion and its held up fine

That's what I'm running, but his ZJ is at 7 inches of lift. I think the JKS/ORGS trackbars are only adjustable for 4.5-6 inches, no?

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:26 AM
I think its good for 7". If its advertised for 6", one inch is not gonna make a noticeable difference.

Jim311
03-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Maybe I'll mention it to him. RK warranty's their parts for a lifetime, but when I break a part, I upgrade so I don't have the same problem twice. We'll see.. he really likes RK's customer service and they haven't done him wrong so far. He's going to have a bitch of a time cutting off those welds we layed down to reinforce that braket to get him off the trail, that's for sure :rofl:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Maybe I'll mention it to him. RK warranty's their parts for a lifetime, but when I break a part, I upgrade so I don't have the same problem twice. We'll see.. he really likes RK's customer service and they haven't done him wrong so far. He's going to have a bitch of a time cutting off those welds we layed down to reinforce that braket to get him off the trail, that's for sure :rofl:

RK's customer service nowadays actually is awesome. They are trying hard to turn their company around.

Jim311
03-22-2005, 02:35 AM

RK's customer service nowadays actually is awesome. They are trying hard to turn their company around.

Can't get much worse than what it used to be from what I understand.

OverkillZJ
03-22-2005, 02:38 AM

"Awesome" would be building parts that don't suck in the first place.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:41 AM

notice i said their customer service is decent. not their products, i've always hated RK crap. they should serve their customer by providing quality parts but you know what i mean.

OverkillZJ
03-22-2005, 03:00 AM

notice i said their customer service is decent. not their products, i've always hated RK crap. they should serve their customer by providing quality parts but you know what i mean.

I consider customer service to be a full package, including the product in the first place. Great "service" replacing a bad product with a bad product is not great service :toimonst:

Trancezj
03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
yeah mine started to crack. It's rediculous, BUT if people would inspect their rig before they go out, they wouldnt get stranded like that. Took all of 10 minutes to drag out the welder and fix it.

Jim311
03-23-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah mine started to crack. It's rediculous, BUT if people would inspect their rig before they go out, they wouldnt get stranded like that. Took all of 10 minutes to drag out the welder and fix it.

It wasn't broken before the trail ride started. Once he realized it was starting to bend, it was too late. Even once it was welded up, he had bad deathwobble above 25 MPH.

nathaniel
03-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Kevins Trackbar conversion isn't the same as a standard jks bar. Nothing alike really. Kevin uses a jks bar and is designed for 6"+ of lift easy. He is using his currently at 9-10" of lift without a single problem with the bar.

TrojanMan
03-24-2005, 12:53 AM
andy over at carolina rock shop refuses to even look at the RK long arm setup anymore, after he crashed into a concrete wall on the interstate

Kraqa
03-24-2005, 01:04 AM
No joke.. up until this point he's beat the fuck outta that RK lift though with no problems. Everything the lift was ATTACHED to has fallen apart however :rolleyes:

If the kit is properly designed then everything attached wouldn't break. There mounts do not distribut any of the load. With a unibody it is important to tie everything in properly. This way the vibrations and jarring doesnt destroy there own mounts.