PDA

View Full Version : tube doors

scubatch2
03-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Afriend of mine is starting a jeep fab shop.There seems to be some intrest in tube doors for the grand.I've talked to him about this and he is up for the challenge.
What are you guys looking for in tube doors so he canmake some prototype's.If peolpe like his ideas he would be up for a group buy if authorized by the forum. Any pic's or links for idea's would help. jeff

ATL ZJ
03-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Afriend of mine is starting a jeep fab shop.There seems to be some intrest in tube doors for the grand.I've talked to him about this and he is up for the challenge.
What are you guys looking for in tube doors so he canmake some prototype's.If peolpe like his ideas he would be up for a group buy if authorized by the forum. Any pic's or links for idea's would help. jeff

Welcome to the forum. I was thinking about doing this too. What I will be looking for in tube doors is exactly what I put into them when I make them. If they don't work as planned, I'll revise my design a little, and then I would consider selling other identical sets if others were interested. They will be very straightforward, practical, and as easily removable as possible. I want to be able to swap them back and forth with the full doors quickly. I like the bushing type hinge on the tube doors that Dave just bought, but not the fact that you have to remove the striker pin in order to attach the doors. My doors will also have a mirror mount on the driver's side door and be fully compatible with the stock alarm. I should have some pics in a couple months once I get to work on these.

Swamp boy
03-20-2005, 09:35 PM
I already gave you my design.. If you scroll down on this forum you will see a post called TOOB Doors.. There is a design .. (dont know who made it.. ) but its there and you can see it...

Carl

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-21-2005, 02:53 AM
I have started on some 1/2 doors for mine. Just involves cutting a huge gap down the middle of some junkyard doors and putting some thin guage steel over the gap where the window was and as an interior door panel with a small hole for a makeshift door handle. Looks kinda like swampy's but different design.

Swamp boy
03-21-2005, 03:41 AM
I gotta get a picture of my pimp ass enterior one day for you fellas to envy... :mrgreen:

nate
03-21-2005, 06:09 AM
What's so bad about leaving the doors on... or taking them off?? I don't get the tube doors... arm rest??

JeepinHank
03-21-2005, 10:16 AM
What's so bad about leaving the doors on... or taking them off?? I don't get the tube doors... arm rest??

Best thing I can figure is a safety measure. Just something else to keep you in the vehicle while improving the visibility. I sure get tired of hanging my head out of the vehicle. With the seat belt on, it gets kind of annoying. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the no door look, but that's just a preference thing. It does improve visiblity. The tube doors provide something to lean against, but beyond that I don't know what they're good for.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2005, 10:37 AM

Around here doors are a requirment (exception of TJ's since they were actually a factory option).

I need tube doors.

nate
03-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Ah I see. I;ve never taken my doors off for a trail run, because it's just too muddy to do that. I'd be getting mud everywhere in the Jeep, on me, etc... just too messy. It's cool going down the road, keeps your doors nice on the trail too, but otherwise, don't see a reason not to run with the doors?

bburgi
03-21-2005, 03:26 PM
yeah, it really just depends on your style of wheeling. Running in lots of mud it might be better for you to have full doors to keep you/ the jeep clean, but if you're just rock crawling, taking your doors off (or using tube doors) lets you see what's going on beside/underneath you much better without constantly leaning out the window

OverkillZJ
03-21-2005, 03:31 PM
rock crawling, taking your doors off (or using tube doors) lets you see what's going on beside/underneath you much better without constantly leaning out the window

I can't describe how much easier it is in a rock garden without the doors on the rig...

BigDaveZJ
03-21-2005, 04:00 PM
rock crawling, taking your doors off (or using tube doors) lets you see what's going on beside/underneath you much better without constantly leaning out the window

I can't describe how much easier it is in a rock garden without the doors on the rig...

Not to mention in places like Moab where it can get freaking hot the extra air circulation is nice to have so you don't have to drive around at 4,500 RPM's trying to keep the A/C and engine cool.

ATL ZJ
03-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Best thing I can figure is a safety measure. Just something else to keep you in the vehicle while improving the visibility. I sure get tired of hanging my head out of the vehicle. With the seat belt on, it gets kind of annoying. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the no door look, but that's just a preference thing. It does improve visiblity. The tube doors provide something to lean against, but beyond that I don't know what they're good for.

Some sort of a triangulated brace between the door hinges (tube door) helps keep the unibody rigid during wheeling to prevent the unibody from flexing too much. Helpful for me since I don't have the framerails sleeved.

Jim311
03-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Plus if you're wheeling without your doors, sometimes rocks/trees try and reach into the Jeep to grab you. One of the advantages to taking off the doors is that you don't have to worry about denting them.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Plus if you're wheeling without your doors, sometimes rocks/trees try and reach into the Jeep to grab you. One of the advantages to taking off the doors is that you don't have to worry about denting them.

because denting your pelvis > denting sheet metal when you lay it on its side

Jim311
03-22-2005, 02:30 AM

because denting your pelvis > denting sheet metal when you lay it on its side

Well, if you've got the tube doors, your pelvis wont be dented, now will it?

:flipoff2:

Trancezj
03-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm the king of flop. I've never had anything hit me.