PDA

View Full Version : newer intake and belt tensioner issues

servouxh
03-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok. So I have a newer intake manifold off of a 99 or so wrangler and I have a new pump. What I need is the part numbers or suppliers for the tensioner that bolts to the front of the power steering pump. Its basically a plate that bolts to the 3 bolts on the face of the pump and a little manually adjusted tensioner pully on the bottom. The only vehicle I know for sure that has this set up is a 98 Cherokee. It has the older style intake but the newer style pump and tensioner. Not the auto tensioner on the alternator braket. I didn't think this piece was going to be that hard to come by. None of the 20 or so salvage yards in my area have this.

Or if somebody has any other ideas as to how to tension the belt I would be interested. I know I could make the older braket and pump work on the newer manifold but I have this new AGR pump that I would like to get working.

DND
03-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I can get you the part number for the actual tensioner pulley when I get home this evening. I just replaced it on my wife's 97 XJ. The plate and bolt set up for the tension function should just be a wrecker part. Not sure what years are the same but our 97 is.

servouxh
03-17-2005, 09:50 PM
DND that would be cool. If 97 is the same then I guess its probably 96-00 or so. Is that an xj or a zj. I thought they were the same up till current, but those new ones use the auto tensioner.

DND
03-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Okay, from my wife's 97 XJ it's Dayco part # 89006 and labeled -Idler/Tensioner Pulley - 90mm Flat Steel Without Flange

Cheap enough at $20 too.

Dave

TrojanMan
03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
BTW... swapping the WJ intake manifold onto the ZJ doesn't gain alot.. here's a direct quote from dino on JU..

Dino Savva wrote (PMed) on 09-16-2004 07:24 AM:

TrojanMan wrote (PMed) on 09-16-2004 03:56 AM:
I just saw in the Gc forum that the 99 I6 intake manifold is a direct bolt on to the 98 I6 (so I'm guessing its true for the 96 also) and is good for about 10 horses. Is this true? That's something I'd be interested in doing as I begin my stroker project. I guess I could even port & polish before I throw it on for a few more horses. Looks like a good swap right?

Yes, it probably IS a direct bolt-in, but I wouldn't bank on gaining 10hp though. The difference between a '98 and '99 4.0 is only 5hp and 2hp of that comes from the slitter vane water pump.
The newer manifold IS nicer though and you could open up the inlet from 62mm to 68mm diameter to accomodate the Flometrics 68mm billet TB.

servouxh
03-18-2005, 08:31 PM
BTW... swapping the WJ intake manifold onto the ZJ doesn't gain alot.. here's a direct quote from dino on JU

Yep, I know. But I bought the manifold and pump before I had read that. So all I need is the tensioner now to make it work. But yea I can't really imagine it making much difference. Plus when I super charge I'll just throw it out any way. Oh well, I wan't to make it work for now.

Thanks for the Part# DND