PDA

View Full Version : Staun Tire Deflators

Jim311
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Are these worth 60 bucks? My friend is headed up to 4 wheel parts right now and I was thinking about having him pick me some up. I've used them before and they really are set and forget. Should I get some? :tease:

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Theyre not as accurate as I like, but they're definately handy little time savers.

Jim311
03-17-2005, 02:37 PM
He said 4 wheel parts doesn't have them in stock and you have to special order them.. WTF. Oh well.. I just got some of the little aluminum ones for 15 bucks instead. They'll work just fine, and for 1/4th of the price I suppose. Oh well :o

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
I saw a guy use them in Hollister about 6 months ago. They looked great and he could not say enough good stuff about them.

One of these days I will pick up a set I am sure. Sure beats the hell out of checking and re checking. Even if it is not 100% accurate who cares if your tire has 15psi or 13psi??

bill~ns
03-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I prefer to split the cost between two people. That way, you each get two at half the price. When airing down, I always use the same deflator on each rear, and the same one on each front. This way I know that both tires are set to the same PSI.... whatever it might be. Makes the lockers happy.

With 4 deflators, you could end up with 4 tires with 4 different pressures. They are a REAL PITA to setup, but after that, they work great. Unless you have a slow leak... then you may have to air up a bit before they will work... another PITA.

Bill

Jim311
03-19-2005, 08:39 PM
I prefer to split the cost between two people. That way, you each get two at half the price. When airing down, I always use the same deflator on each rear, and the same one on each front. This way I know that both tires are set to the same PSI.... whatever it might be. Makes the lockers happy.

With 4 deflators, you could end up with 4 tires with 4 different pressures. They are a REAL PITA to setup, but after that, they work great. Unless you have a slow leak... then you may have to air up a bit before they will work... another PITA.

Bill

That's actually a good idea. I'm wondering why they make you buy 4 when all you really need is 2 :rolleyes:

OverkillZJ
03-19-2005, 08:41 PM

Bill

That's actually a good idea. I'm wondering why they make you buy 4 when all you really need is 2 :rolleyes:

I'm usually "that guy" showing up at the trailhead late; so having 4 running at once for me is always a bonus! I think two would be fine for most people though..

nate
03-19-2005, 10:26 PM
What's so hard about sticking a little rock in the valve stem. I just stop it when the tires look low enough..

Jim311
03-20-2005, 01:49 PM
What's so hard about sticking a little rock in the valve stem. I just stop it when the tires look low enough..

When they LOOK low enough? Ghettooooooo!

Sudz
05-05-2011, 10:42 AM
thread from the dead

i just went looking for SCV5 deflators - looks like Staun is gone

With Staun Australia out of business (great products, but financial problems), Staun USA Inc was dissolved on December 31, 2010. Our new company, Coyote Enterprises LLC is picking up with the tire deflators and internal pneumatic beadlocks made here in the USA.

SirFuego
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Where did you find that from? I've been curious how that whole Staun thing was going to pan out. Where is Coyote based out of? There seems to be a lot of similarly named business...

That said, I have the Staun deflators and they work great. I've found them accurate to 0.5 PSI and are able to consistently air down my tires as long as I "lock" them in place.

In terms of getting them setup -- use a bike tire. Much easier to get tune the deflators because it's easy to quickly reinflate the tire. I tuned all 4 of mine using my bike tire and then tried them on my actual tires and they were spot on.

If your tire is within 5psi of the tuned pressure, you need to manually start them by pulling on the spring loaded nipple thingy on the top. Otherwise, they automatically start and stop once you screw them on.

Sudz
05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Where did you find that from?

http://www.eco4wd.com/

In terms of getting them setup -- use a bike tire. Much easier to get tune the deflators because it's easy to quickly reinflate the tire. I tuned all 4 of mine using my bike tire and then tried them on my actual tires and they were spot on.

bike tire, xlent idea

might go with these - http://oasismfg.thomasnet.com/viewitems/tire-deflators/automatic-tire-deflators?forward=1

staun quality might be iffy with new ownership

SirFuego
05-05-2011, 12:38 PM
I've heard good things about the Oasis deflators. Being able to drive on them is a cool feature, but not one that I personally would use or find necessary. More times than not, I'm there early and ready to go before most people, so it's not a big deal.

The guy that gave me the bike tire idea used the same technique to tune his Oasis deflators.

IMO, Coyote has a tough road ahead of them in the pneumatic beadlock world if they use the same desig and pricing as Staun. Inner Air Locks are cheaper and just as effective from what I've been reading -- not to mention that the tubes used are "standard" size so they can be found basically anywhere that sells motorcycle tubes (unlike Staun's who used a funky size only available from Staun retailers).

Ken L
05-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I have the Oasis deflaters and they work really well. I just screw them all in the tires at the trail head, by the time I am done putting on the 4th one the first one is almost done.

I set mine up using a donut spare. Same principle as the bike tire, less volume to re-fill to make the adjustments.

conedizzle
05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I had some of the smittybuilt tire deflators and I hated them. I'm not sure if it was because the quality was lower than the stauns or maybe I never set them up right in the first place but they were really slow and not very accurate. I have since bought one of the ARB deflators and I love it, really simple to use and airs down super fast. Currie and ARB both have similar devices for around $30-$40