PDA

View Full Version : SHOP SAFETY

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Okay, I know that we all KNOW we are suppose to wear eye protection ALL the time, but DO YOU ACTUALLY DO IT?

I can only speak from personal experience and sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

I am now 36 and have been not only working on cars for years but have also been installing security systems in commercial buildings for 15+ years and I have had 2 eye injuries that could both have been avoided should I have been wearing safety glasses.

Lucky I can still see and it it only temporary but the most recent one occured last Sunday. I was out working on the Jeep and trimming to fit my 32's. After I went into the house and got cleaned up my eye was bothering me, I used some eye wash to try to get whatever was in there out but it was still bothering me.

So I left it for a few days and finally broke down and went to see the Doc yesterday and sure enough there was a problem.

I had gotten some metal in my eye on Sunday, although the metal was no longer in my eye, my eye had actually formed a rust ring around where the metal was. So basically with out grossing you out to much they hold open the eye and basically "polish" off the rust, put a patch over the eye and sent me home (let me tell you driving home with only one eye was a bit difficult and I had a splitting headache after about 5 minutes of driving).

My eye is still irratated this morning so I am sure I will be back to see the Doc this afternoon, she said if it was not better today than she may have to patch it for 2-3 days to give it time to heal (I tool the patch off this morning), my eye is still watery like no tomorrow.

SO the moral of this story is WEAR YOUR FREAKIN' SAFETY GLASSES, because it can happen to you.

(this has been a public service announcement brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Amsoil dealer :mrgreen: )

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
If you see power / air tools in my hand, you'll see me with safety glasses. Hell, I'll even put them on when I brake out the air gun to blow dust out of the shop.

I'm paranoid like that.

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
I will be too from now on.

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I thought you might :)

When I was in my teens, my gf's brother launched a piece of metal into his eye and almost lost sight in that eye; I decided I didn't really want to go through with that!

Hope it heals up well, and get friendly with those dollar store safety goggles!

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Yea I plan to buy a case of them just to be sure I always have them close at hand.

I am sure it will heal just fine should only take a few more days or so but on the other hand I almost wish it would bother me for along time just to keep reminding myself.

Jim311
03-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I won't go so far as to wear safety glasses when I'm using an impact wrench, but if I'm grinding I *ALWAYS* use eye protection. Even when I use the sawzall I use eye protection. I've gotten chunks of shit in my eye before and it is NOT fun. Those faggots on OCC and all those chopper shows set a bad example. They're always grinding and cutting without using eye protection :rolleyes:

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
That is true. A good rule of thumb is if you see it on TV do the opposite and you will be in good shape.

JeepinHank
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty much any grinding I do, I've got some sort of eye protection. Not as diligent when cutting with my jigsaw, but if I'm using my chop saw or a cut off wheel on my angle grinder, I'm pretty good about it. Either safety glasses or a full face shield. Love my full face except when its cold out... fogs up too easily.

I used to wear my contacts when I was working out in the shop, but I've gotten away from that in the past few months. Recently, I've been wearing my eye glasses and putting on the face shield. I kind of prefer that now. My specs aren't really big or anything, but they seem to offer a second level of protection from the occasional flying spark that can get past the face shield. Might want to consider doing the same with your safety glasses.

I have been a little lax when using my bench grinder lately, but it kind of scared me last weekend when I was cleaning up a piece of steel that I had cut. I had a spark pop me right on my eye lid. A little too close for comfort.

Kinda off topic, but I also wear my welding cap most of the time (esp. with the chop saw). Doesn't take too many times for a hot spark to land on top of your head to learn the value of that one. :smt073

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
I agee Hank,

I will be investing in a full face sheild this weekend and a few pairs of new safety glasses.

deadman
03-17-2005, 06:31 PM
I had to get metal in my eye too before I bought the safety stuff.

Now I got a few pairs of glasses... don't get only one pair, cause they will always be someplace else, and then you don't bother.

faceshields and these mechanix gloves

Now I am thinking about earprotection... cause 2 days ago I was doing a lot of grinding in my garage, and while doing that I had the radio on. At the end of the day I nearly couldn't hear the radio anymore.

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Don't get me wrong I do HAVE eye protection just was not wearing them.

I am looking at getting a case of 12 on ebay for like $15, that way I should have a pair close at hand.

deadman
03-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Those faggots on OCC and all those chopper shows set a bad example. They're always grinding and cutting without using eye protection :rolleyes:

I think Monster Garage is pretty scary sometimes... but OCC isn't that bad. Actually because I saw them wearing faceshields often on that show, I decided to try them out too.

-----

My #1 Enemy when it comes to tools is a boxcutter... I always fawkin cut my self.

Nordic1
03-17-2005, 07:40 PM
I got welding flash once.... I am damn lucky I got back like 99% of my eye-sight.... Moral of the story, ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

And when you're working on stuff, wear the other protective stuff.. thick jacket and pants when welding, gloves, etc.

BigDaveZJ
03-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I got welding flash once.... I am damn lucky I got back like 99% of my eye-sight.... Moral of the story, ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION.

And when you're working on stuff, wear the other protective stuff.. thick jacket and pants when welding, gloves, etc.

Dumbass. You looked at the light.

TrojanMan
03-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Hold still.. here's a beer... I'll get the dremel :axe:

Jim311
03-18-2005, 03:36 AM
I had to get metal in my eye too before I bought the safety stuff.

Now I got a few pairs of glasses... don't get only one pair, cause they will always be someplace else, and then you don't bother.

faceshields and these mechanix gloves

Now I am thinking about earprotection... cause 2 days ago I was doing a lot of grinding in my garage, and while doing that I had the radio on. At the end of the day I nearly couldn't hear the radio anymore.

I was practically deaf after using my chop saw in my garage. Not to mention I inhaled god knows how much thick black dust. I just put on some cheap ear plugs that I wear when shooting my gun.. it worked just fine.

Nordic1
03-18-2005, 03:49 AM

Dumbass. You looked at the light.

actually no but I still got sunburnt and I couldn't see for a little while

Jeepin' Wolf
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Yea, safety's a great thing. Never got into it myself. Had my eyes burnt twice by looking at the welding too long and too close, crap constantly falls into my eyes; few days ago I'm grinding crapp off of a tube, huge sparks fly directly into my sweatshirt, Adam sees me slapping myself "Dude, you set yourself on fire didn't you? - Me: "Yup, hehehehe" :mrgreen: ; had a TJ drop to the ground cause the front end was held up by 2 h-lifts, that was pretty stupid but stupider was that we jacked it back up again making "adjustments" to the hi-lift stability problem (it fell again).

Here's a human-crane while we were installing a roll cage a few nights ago.

http://webster-image.com/jeep/Safety.jpg

Safety shmeyfty :partyman: :weedman:

Nordic1
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Yea, safety's a great thing. Never got into it myself. Had my eyes burnt twice by looking at the welding too long and too close, crap constantly falls into my eyes; few days ago I'm grinding crapp off of a tube, huge sparks fly directly into my sweatshirt, Adam sees me slapping myself "Dude, you set yourself on fire didn't you? - Me: "Yup, hehehehe" :mrgreen: ; had a TJ drop to the ground cause the front end was held up by 2 h-lifts, that was pretty stupid but stupider was that we jacked it back up again making "adjustments" to the hi-lift stability problem (it fell again).

Here's a human-crane while we were installing a roll cage a few nights ago.

http://webster-image.com/jeep/Safety.jpg

Safety shmeyfty :partyman: :weedman:

:smt046

97trxuszj
03-24-2005, 04:25 AM
I was wearing my googles one time working on my jeep, using the die grinder to trim the rear fenders, and I got a hot spark in my eye. Felt it a little at first, rubbed my eye didn't feel it anymore, ( must have cooled down). I went in got washed up and noticed my eye hurt, whatever I'll deal with it. The next day whenever I'd blink I felt somthing scratching my eyelid. I had my girlfriend look at my eye with a mag. glass and she saw it a little peice of metal stuck in my eye. Went to the doc he gave me eye numbbing drops, sat me in the chair and used tweezers to pull out the metal, he then says we got rust and used like said a little drill to get all of it out. WOW talk about more painfull than the actual incident. Any-who I wear a face shelid and googles when grinding now. SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY

nate
03-24-2005, 05:46 AM
Don't weld next to an oil drain pan that's full of gear oil, brake cleaner and gas... I'll leave it at that. I musta been :weedman: or something.

Jim311
03-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Gear oil doesn't burn too well, at least in my experience. Welding slag and hot sparks from the grinder haven't ignited mine, at least.

:D

JeepinHank
03-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Gear oil doesn't burn too well, at least in my experience. Welding slag and hot sparks from the grinder haven't ignited mine, at least.

It takes a lot more to ignite than gasoline, but you can make it burn.

Another good safety tip...

If possible, always move anything that is remotely flamable away from the area you're welding in.

If you're lying on your back and welding on something above you, have someone around on fire watch, cause you surely won't see it through your mask. I was doing a rocker replacement on a friends XJ - welding away, when all of the sudden things started getting really hot. I stopped when I noticed an orange light coming from the bottom of my mask. Flipped the lid to see that I had set myself on fire. Ruined a damn good denimn shirt in the process. :rolleyes:

nate
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Gear oil doesn't really, but the gas and brake cleaner that was mixed in sure did.

Welding... welding.... BBBBOOOOOMMMMM! Holy FUCK! All of a sudden I have shit all over the floor, under my Jeep that's on fire... including myself. I was welding on the rear axle and I pushed the pan to under the T Case.. apparently that wasn't far enough. I laughed about it... but it could have been worst for sure.

Raacerx
03-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Shop Safety. Dont use a 6 foot hilift on the rear hitch to help the jackstands, then jack the rear end off the jackstands and unweight the Hilift so it falls over and hits you in the head. Was just jacking it up to set the rear axle on its on weight when everything went red then black. Next thing I know Im on the ground and it felt like someone was beating my head with a rubber mallet. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, my best tip...if you unbolt one side of your tierod and then get it wedged hard against the tire, make sure you dont stick your thumb between the tierod and pointy, rusty, sharp trackbar mount and then kick the tire. One minute I was fine, then next I felt queasy and my thumb looked weird...like half of it was hanging out. Great expression on my mom when I walked inside, sort of stumbling, blood gushing down my arm, and said "Umm...I think I might have hurt myself..." Man, most painful thing I had ever felt. Course, that was absolutely no where near the pain of getting 8 shots into the base of my thumb...but DAMN did I feel good after that. They were scrubbing it with this rough bristled scrub and I was just laughing and laughing...Morphine rocks!!!! :weedman:

phillyzj
03-25-2005, 01:15 AM
i often rock ear protection. i have the kind you would use at a shooting range. they work great and i can still hear pretty clearly it's just a LOT quieter.

After all these stories and many others i always rock safte goggles. It's certainly easier than replacing an eye.

nate
03-28-2005, 06:08 AM
So today I'm thinking I'll be all safe... safety glasses, gloves, earplugs... even a Dr's mask (black boogers suck)..

So there I am grinding away... and I hear a whhoomppp over the grinder. Hmm, WTF was that? I look over, and my garbage can which is full of paper towels and brake cleaner was on fire.
Oh shit! Like 4 foot flames coming out of it, about ready to burn my garage down. I grab the can and put it in the middle of the garage.... ok... how to put out... think.. ah yeah fire extinguisher, derrr.
Where did I move that do? Ah... shit.... bigger flames... ah, fuck where is it? Ah, found it! I pull the pin out, as I'm running over to the can, trip over my bumper (on the ground) so I go flying across the garage with the extinguisher discharging over everything. Well everything but the fire.

Finally got the fire out...... so moral of the story, don't grind near trashcans full of flamable stuff :smt003

2nd time this week I catch something on fire... I may need a fire extinguisher clipped to my belt. haha.