PDA

View Full Version : My love affair with the Dana 35

Michael
03-16-2005, 07:27 PM
this axle is so great. but can anyone help solve my problem? loud whine between 50-80. gets louder till it stops at 80. though bearings and gears trashed, so had mechanic put new in. now, still have problem, and mechanic now says need carrier because the spider gears are wobbling a little or something, and that i need a new R axle because its causing it to wear around the bearing. any idea's to save my $1200 investment so far? yes, i know i made a mistake by now throwing the pos out when problems started, but i'm to deep in now to just buy a d44 or ford 9. i sure wish i would have found jeep internet forums before. thanks everyone for the help. when we did the regear, we put in all new bearings, axle bearings, seals, new r&p, and new spider gears. is there anything on the diff setup that i should have another shop check? i don't have dial indicator and caliper, etc to do this myself. :drinkers:

now that i've put 31 mt's on, it is very hard to tell if its whining, but i can still hear it if i try. should i even worry about it at this point? should i just leave it, and when it totally goes, just put in a d44 or ford 9" or similar?

BigDaveZJ
03-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Chain the axle to your leg and push it off a bridge, problem solved!!!!

Just fuckin with ya, you can get into an 8.8 pretty cheap and ditch that POS.

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 01:23 AM
Get rid of it, period.

You can build a much better axle than that POS will cost you to fix.

dasVettemeister
03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Get rid of it, period.

You can build a much better axle than that POS will cost you to fix.

Second that. You could put together an 8.8 <ewww, ford> for next to nothing and you'd have something fairly strong, and CHEAP!!! I've seen those things put up with ridiculous amounts of abuse and live. Aw hell, just get a 14 bolt! :mrgreen:

Michael
03-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, where do i get started? I just put my lift kit and lights in, and had a heck of a time. :toimonst:

cash unlimited beer to anyone with a garage and help to setup a new diff.

OverkillZJ
03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Well, where do i get started? I just put my lift kit and lights in, and had a heck of a time. :toimonst:

cash unlimited beer to anyone with a garage and help to setup a new diff.

Might help if you tell us where you live.

BigDaveZJ
03-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Offering me unlimited beer is a very very very risky prospect too!!

Michael
03-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Gunnison, colorado. will drive just about anywhere in reason to get help with this. :drinkers:

happy
03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
dave lives in co right on top of u...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-22-2005, 02:39 AM
right on top of u...

heh, heh, heh

seriously you can setup an 8.8 and get it completely done in a weekend. Mine took me a good 2 days of hard work but i've only done one. get a friend with a welder and some experience to knock it out, it brings a new joy to wheeling when you dont have to worry about the D35 grenading!

BigDaveZJ
03-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Gunnison, colorado. will drive just about anywhere in reason to get help with this. :drinkers:

Find a kid named Nvidi or something like that. Tell him Jen's brother told you to find him and ask him who in town can help ya out. The kid's easy to spot. He works for a towing company, has a YJ with ProRock 60's, and just bought Walker Evans old buggy.