PDA

View Full Version : Jet Hot Coating

nate
03-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Has anyone got headers coated before? I am thinking of getting my Banks header done. Mainly to keep the heat down. I talked to the Jet Hot guys and it would be $195 to do it. I guess they are some guys here in town that do it as well, haven't talked to them yet.

Nordic1
03-16-2005, 10:57 AM
I'd go for it... Aparently the coating REALLY drops the under the hood temperatures

Cue-Ball
03-16-2005, 11:15 AM
I had my TurboCity air intake tube Jet Hot coated, it looks really good and is suppose to cut down on the heat exchange as the intake pipe is metal.

I would definetly do my headers when I get one.

nate
03-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah I think I will. They sent me a package with a video and all, good info. I was kinda checking to see what other people thought... I didn't want this to fall under the "worst mod" category.

DND
03-16-2005, 02:40 PM
I had both my wife's 4.0 Banks and my V-8 Edelbrock's done. So far only hers is in, but the underhood temp difference is amazing. Her hood used to be uncomfortably hot to the touch when opening. Now it's a non-issue. I'd say 'DO EEEEEETTT' you won't regret this mod. Also the Bank's header made her engine run much smoother than stock. Power gains from the header would be hard to quantify as we did a 2.5" mandrel downpipe, 2.5" Carsound cat, 2.5" Flow 70 and a 2.25" tailpipe. Not too loud and didn't loose as much torque as my buddy's with a 2.5" tailpipe. His banks wasn't coated and his underhood temps are significantly higher just by feel.

Long winded, but there it is.

Cue-Ball
03-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I had both my wife's 4.0 Banks and my V-8 Edelbrock's done. So far only hers is in, but the underhood temp difference is amazing. Her hood used to be uncomfortably hot to the touch when opening. Now it's a non-issue. I'd say 'DO EEEEEETTT' you won't regret this mod. Also the Bank's header made her engine run much smoother than stock. Power gains from the header would be hard to quantify as we did a 2.5" mandrel downpipe, 2.5" Carsound cat, 2.5" Flow 70 and a 2.25" tailpipe. Not too loud and didn't loose as much torque as my buddy's with a 2.5" tailpipe. His banks wasn't coated and his underhood temps are significantly higher just by feel.

Long winded, but there it is.

That is about the same set up I am planning on my 4.0L one of these years. Glad to know it works out well.

I was actually looking at doing the Mike Leach header but same difference.

DND
03-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I did a reasonable amount of research on the 4.0 exhaust as I wanted to build for torque not revs. This site http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/ proved to have a good bit of info that made sense to me.

Seems the 4.0 is sensitive to a drop in back-pressure, which results in a low RPM torque loss. One of his key findings is to avoid an over-sized tailpipe, which I definitely agree with. What also helped is having two very similar XJs to compare. My wife's and Aron's have close to the same mods, the one difference being tailpipe size. Aron's has 2.5" and revs to the moon, my wife's 2.25" and is torquier but still pulls well. I guess it depends on your driving style.

dasVettemeister
03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
First of all (on topic) I have to say the jet-hot coatings are great. I had the header done on my GSXR about 7 years ago and it is in perfect condition to this day. It helped immensely in that it kept thengine oil temps lower and also threw off less heat at me!!! I love that stuff.

Now, kinda off topic, I have a ZJ question for anyone that has info. What exhaust do the 5.2 engines seem to like? Do they work better with a bit of backpressure like the I6 does, or not? I'd ask on JU, but I think they're more concerned with how shiny my exhaust tip is or isn't. :yawinkle:

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Now, kinda off topic, I have a ZJ question for anyone that has info. What exhaust do the 5.2 engines seem to like? Do they work better with a bit of backpressure like the I6 does, or not? I'd ask on JU, but I think they're more concerned with how shiny my exhaust tip is or isn't. :yawinkle:

You'll get mixed responses on that; A lot of the guys like 3" all the way back including mike leach headers, and if I recall correctly that makes the most horseys. Some people have had problems with lack of backpressure though on the trail. I've never tried that, I have Borla headers (2.5" lead pipe) going to 3" cat and turn down, but that 4 foot section of 2.5" pipe seems to work out perfectly for me. More than enough power, plenty of backpressure.

nate
03-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah I'm going to call up the place in town later today and see what their prices are. I don't exactly what their stuff is, but they were recomended by a guy I trust.

I think I may get the stock downpipe done as well if the price isn't too bad.

Plans for the exhuast are the header, 2.5" carsound car and 2.5 magneflow muffler. This is what I have in the garage anyway. Hope if will fit with the LAs, otherwise, I may have to do something else.

DND
03-17-2005, 03:59 PM
If the ZJ downpipe is anything like the XJ, you might want to consider having a new one fabbed up. The XJ has a major crush just after the header connection that reduces the internal diameter and is considered the worst restriction point in that system. With the similarities in these two front ends, I would suspect them to be similar. Worth a look before you coat something that's already a problem.

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
If the ZJ downpipe is anything like the XJ, you might want to consider having a new one fabbed up. The XJ has a major crush just after the header connection that reduces the internal diameter and is considered the worst restriction point in that system. With the similarities in these two front ends, I would suspect them to be similar. Worth a look before you coat something that's already a problem.

ZJ's the same way

Cue-Ball
03-17-2005, 04:57 PM
I wonder would it make a difference to have the ENTIRE exhaust Jet Hot coated?

Fab it all up, take it apart in pieces and have it all coated. I know it would cost $$$ but would it make the exhaust last longer since it should not coorode as easily and would it help with exhausting the gasses faster?

Hmm just thinking out loaud is all.

ATL ZJ
03-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Fab it all up, take it apart in pieces and have it all coated. I know it would cost $$$ but would it make the exhaust last longer since it should not coorode as easily and would it help with exhausting the gasses faster?

There has to be a better way for you to spend your money. Like setting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet, for example.

If it's ~200 for JUST headers, it would have to be some rediculous figure for the entire exhaust. Maybe on a classic car that is completely restored to mint condition, and having overheating problems, but on a Jeep that's just gonna get wheeled, I don't see the point of coating the whole exhaust. I see that your Jeep isn't that modified.. if it were me, I would much prefer a locker to reducing the temperature of and increasing the lifespan of the exhaust.

2 cents

nate
03-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah I did some measuring the the downpipe is like 4' long... so yeah, not going to happen. Even shipping it will kill me.
I'm going to get just the header done. I'm going to get some high temp spray paint for the downpipe and see if that holds up... just stoping the rust is my concern... for the $3-4 for a can of paint it's worth a shot. If it rusts off in a couple years, I can always buy the banks downpipe.

Cue-Ball
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM

There has to be a better way for you to spend your money. Like setting it on fire and flushing it down the toilet, for example.

If it's ~200 for JUST headers, it would have to be some rediculous figure for the entire exhaust. Maybe on a classic car that is completely restored to mint condition, and having overheating problems, but on a Jeep that's just gonna get wheeled, I don't see the point of coating the whole exhaust. I see that your Jeep isn't that modified.. if it were me, I would much prefer a locker to reducing the temperature of and increasing the lifespan of the exhaust.

2 cents

Trust me I was NOT even considering coating the entire exhaust mearly stating that for purposes of discussion.

I know I don't have a built Jeep YET but I have most all the parts I need for my axle swap and long arms so soon, very soon I will be lifted, locked, and loaded :mrgreen:

nate
03-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Just a FYI, I'm sending my header off to get coated tomorrow. $202 plus the shipping to them, so about $250. It does make for an expensive header, that's for sure, but after talking to people, I felt it was worth it.

OverkillZJ
03-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I'll stick with my borla headers for a total cost of $120 shipped :partyman:

nate
03-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Everyone I talked to said the Borla headers for the 4.0 were J-U-N-K. Dunno about the V-8 ones though.

I paid around $400 for the Banks header.

OverkillZJ
03-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Everyone I talked to said the Borla headers for the 4.0 were J-U-N-K. Dunno about the V-8 ones though.

I paid around $400 for the Banks header.

I dunno, It's no leach header but for a hundred something shipped, fine with me :supz:

Sokoloff
06-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm going to get some high temp spray paint for the downpipe and see if that holds up... just stoping the rust is my concern... for the $3-4 for a can of paint it's worth a shot. If it rusts off in a couple years, I can always buy the banks downpipe.

Your exhaust rusts from the inside out (predominantly). The beauty of ceramic coatings is that it coats the inside and outside. Just spray-bombing the outside won't stave off rust very much longer than just crossing your fingers...

TrojanMan
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
its especially worth it on the 4.0, with the exhaust directly under the intake manifold. All that heat goes directly into the manifold, which in turn heats up all that air. Coat those headers and watch your power & mileage increase.