PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Boost Brakes

Nordic1
03-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Here's the pirate thread (seems to be the fun thing for me this week)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305103

Does anybody have experience doing this sorta thing? I know most guys on here would rather do the kung-Foo brakes but I don't think I've ever seen this setup before.

MaineZJ
03-15-2005, 08:16 AM
seen it stock on 1tons and some diesel cars (no vacuum)
when it works properly, it'll lock all the wheels on a 1ton dually carrying a load.

read some bad stuff on PBB when people jurry rig it, then it doesn't work right.

JaredB
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I run hydro boost on my ZJ. Works pretty well although now that I am considering hydro assist I am not sure if/how the two will work together.

norcaljr
09-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I run hydro boost on my ZJ. Works pretty well although now that I am considering hydro assist I am not sure if/how the two will work together.

They can work with both, if you get a PS pump thats puts out enought PSI.

I have a 1500 psi pump from Howe that im using with my hydro-assist. So I already have that end of it ready to go when its time to upgrade the brakes.

Vanco Power Brake Supply makes one of the best kits out there right now. He is having a Group buy on JU right now.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632856

http://www.vancopbs.com/

he dosnt list a kit for the Grands, but the kits the same for the XJ & TJ.

here are a few threads about it.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=97

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668610

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664543&highlight=hydroboost

Stu has a really good write-up on his site.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/vanco/hydroboost-1.htm

ZJake
09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I thought fluid flow was the weak link on a power steering pump when using hydroboost, not pressure. Stu does have a good write up. Thats a mod I'll probably do. Eventually. :drinkers:

norcaljr
09-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I thought fluid flow was the weak link on a power steering pump when using hydroboost, not pressure. Stu does have a good write up. Thats a mod I'll probably do. Eventually. :drinkers:

its both GPM and PSI that are the main factors in running both. Thats why you need a good quality PS pump as the stock one wont cut it. :smt003

ZJake
09-08-2005, 09:21 PM

its both GPM and PSI that are the main factors in running both. Thats why you need a good quality PS pump as the stock one wont cut it. :smt003

But a low flow is what will hurt you because you are running both boost and assist, and the ram needs good flow.

norcaljr
09-08-2005, 09:49 PM

But a low flow is what will hurt you because you are running both boost and assist, and the ram needs good flow.

the Ram needs the flow, but the brakes need the PSI :smt003

ZJake
09-09-2005, 07:13 PM

the Ram needs the flow, but the brakes need the PSI :smt003

true dat

Mtn WJ
09-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I have been looking into this as well. I need to spend a little more time on the subject however here is one issue that comes to mind.

If you have ABS or previously had it and are using the existing rotator type ABS proportioning valve you might have difficultly controlling the rate between the front and rear brakes. I spoke on the phone with them and they do not have a clear answer except to add a second adjustable proportioning valve between the master cylinder and the ABS unit. Again not tried before and who knows the result.

I have done limited tests with my WJ and running with the ABS disconnected and it locks up in the rear more than I prefer. This means some kind of adjustment would be in order with or with out Hydro boost. I suppose the entire ABS unit could be removed and an aftermarket proportional valve be used but that certainly complicates the install. Especially considering it would be pretty much a re-do of most brake lines above the uniframe.

By the way their Vacum Boost systems are useless on ZJ's and WJ's because they already have the large vacum boost units. Same size as they sell.

Fry
10-12-2005, 11:59 PM
http://www.justinternationals.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=2785&highlight=hydra+boost

About a third of the way down he says that he modded the pump for more flow, and the result was that as the rpms went up the pump moved so much fluid that it literally sucked the hydroboost down and applied the brakes. See thread for details.

jborushko
05-23-2010, 02:05 PM
im bringing this back from the dead... has anyone finished this? with both hydro boost brakes and hydro assist steering?

chadjans
05-24-2010, 09:20 PM
with both hydro boost brakes

With a correctly sized master and double diaphram booster, this is not needed.

OverkillZJ
05-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Yup, I can lock up the 42's on the buggy if I slam it hard enough, running the E350 MC / brake booster, no need for the complication of hydro-boost.

jborushko
05-25-2010, 03:49 AM
hmm.. that sounds nice. its a two person question... i was thinking about doing this because my friend has a scout that he wants to do the hydro boost, which made me think about doing hydro boost.

...and since the front axle im swapping in has hydro assist i wanted to know if it would be compatible???

anyway so for the ZJ a bigger booster and MC, i figured that would work... junk yard parts? i remember Cam doing the e350 and a late 80s zj booster... Chad what is your dual diaphragm booster from? EDIT: stock zj?

i dont even know if it will be necessary: as it is NOW i have a 14bolt (disk brakes) and the stock 30 up front...but will be a 44 from a 70ish ford 1 ton

chadjans
05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
...and since the front axle im swapping in has hydro assist i wanted to know if it would be compatible???

Chad what is your dual diaphragm booster from?

as it is NOW i have a 14bolt (disk brakes) and the stock 30 up front for what will be a 44 from a 70ish ford 1 ton or3/4 ton.

Hydro assist is not dependent upon hydro brakes and vice versa. Get an assist steering gear.

A 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

What does a full width 14b and a narrow D30 look like?

ATL ZJ
05-27-2010, 12:55 AM
anyway so for the ZJ a bigger booster and MC, i figured that would work... junk yard parts? i remember Cam doing the e350 and a late 80s zj booster... Chad what is your dual diaphragm booster from?

I run a late 80s XJ booster.

You need 1 ton calipers or big drum brakes to have enough volume to support the big bore of the e350 master...

jborushko
05-30-2010, 04:53 PM
chad, not that it changes your true statement but my trail rig is a 96zj

but yes it does look a little funny, for now.

like i've said the front axle is getting swapped out soon enough for a early 70s 1ton HD 44 that matches width

-though one time i did entertain the idea of putting a dually dana 100 behind the jeep... now that would have been funny looking

**** i guess that my question is what to do about the hyrdo pump/PS pump... what would a bigger/better one be or will the stocker be ok? but i think ill be going with the e350 it if works

I run a late 80s XJ booster.

right-o... XJ- that's what i meant -typo

so the my 1ton 44 has one ton brakes obviously, but your saying that the 3/4 ton brakes on the 14b are too small and the e350 wont work then?

kinda feel like i hi-jacked this thread, but i dont feel bad cus its 5 years old

Tommy
06-04-2010, 01:09 AM
When I did the axle swap on my ZJ all i did was eliminate the ABS. The stock booster and MC would lock up all four with the quickness.

I also agree about the proper size booster and mc being the solution. I purchsed a booster and mc combo from master power for my CJ8. Upgraded bore on the MC and a dual diaphgram booster. locks up 40's with ease... Still running stock proportioning valve as well. 60 front and 14 bolt rear with drums...