PDA

View Full Version : Welders, welders, welders

nate
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I am seriously considering picking up a welder. I'm using my Ready Welder right now, which does good, but it's not as verstile as a regular welder.

Anyhow... thinking 175 amp or round abouts. I figure I can pickup a machine for around $700. Bigger is better, but if I need to weld thick stuff, the RW take care of it.

So, with the various brands, is there a company that makes one that is generally better? I am thinking either Lincoln or Miller.

OverkillZJ
03-14-2005, 08:11 PM
From what I've gathered.... Miller = Lincoln > Hobart
That being said, Hobart is made by Miller but with some cheaper components that'll save you a couple of hundred dollars; but I've yet to hear of a bad experience with one. They're just not made to be used 40 hours a week, but I love mine :partyman:

I'm sure someone else will plug in with info that doesn't suck...

JpRngr
03-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Actually, Hobart is made by Miller, not Lincoln. And like Matt said, it's a great machine for the home hobbyest who isn't using it 40 hours a week. If you're looking to use it frequently, you might consider spending the extra for the Miller. I love my Milllermatic 210.

Corey

Jim311
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 135 that I love. I'm a Lincoln guy, but that's not to say that you can really got wrong with either Miller or Lincoln. The Hobart welders are a cheaper version of the Millers.

OverkillZJ
03-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Actually, Hobart is made by Miller, not Lincoln. And like Matt said, it's a great machine for the home hobbyest who isn't using it 40 hours a week. If you're looking to use it frequently, you might consider spending the extra for the Miller. I love my Milllermatic 210.

Corey

Ya, my bad. You think I'd know that considering the gun even says Miller and I have a replacement parts catalog from Miller incase any parts break.

Nordic1
03-14-2005, 11:28 PM
[quote="Jim311"]I have a Lincoln Pro Mig 135 that I love. I'm a Lincoln guy, but that's not to say that you can really got wrong with either Miller or Lincoln. The Hobart welders are a cheaper version of the Millers.[/quote

I have a Lincoln 135 T and it's great however I wish I had the power of a 220v welder.

nate
03-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Yeah I think I am going to go with the Lincoln 175. I have to call around later today to get prices.

I don't have a 240v outlet in the garage, and the lovely electrican broke the legs off in the breaker box. I have spare slots, but no power to them... why the hell would someone do that??
Either I will do a bit of rewiring so I can free 2 slots, or I may just tap off the dryer or oven breaker. I'd run a cord and just plug it in, but both are upstairs... so would need a good 30-40 feet, plus it'd be in the way all the time.

nate
03-17-2005, 03:14 PM
OK....

Millermatic 175 with cart: $769
Lincoln 175 Plus with cart: $763

So... which one?

Mtn WJ
03-17-2005, 03:23 PM
I have a Lincoln now because it was a sweet deal. But if you were looking at both a Lincoln and a Miller for about the same money and size I say buy a Miller. I have had both Lincoln and Miller Arc welders and the Miller was a better welder overall. Buy the Miller

JeepinHank
03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a Lincoln now because it was a sweet deal. But if you were looking at both a Lincoln and a Miller for about the same money and size I say buy a Miller. I have had both Lincoln and Miller Arc welders and the Miller was a better welder overall. Buy the Miller

ditto

Jim311
03-18-2005, 03:33 AM
I say go for the Lincoln. Cuz that's what I use :flipoff2:

nate
03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah I was leaning toward the Lincoln.

OK... now to make an extension cord, what wire should I be looking for... what's the flexy stuff called?? 8/3? or would 10/3 be ok...

Nordic1
03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
How long of a cord?

OverkillZJ
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
I'd say no to 10/3. 8/3 maybe depending on length. I used 6/3+ground but look at my username.

nate
03-18-2005, 07:26 PM
8/3 is good for 50 amps... cord would be like 20-25 feet. Pretty much long enough to get around the garage. Matt do you know what the wire is called? I'm having a hard time explaining to the stores and they just show me stiff ass house wire.

OverkillZJ
03-18-2005, 08:15 PM
8/3 is good for 50 amps... cord would be like 20-25 feet. Pretty much long enough to get around the garage. Matt do you know what the wire is called? I'm having a hard time explaining to the stores and they just show me stiff ass house wire.

The wire I used was house wire, but I bought a seperate 25' extension cord. I know what you're looking for though, I'd check with Lighting system vendors like Vincent Lighting Systems for some stranded 8/3. They make it, but it's hard to get locally. I'll see if I can dig something up. I have a couple hundred feet laying around but I'm keeping it just incase :rock:

Raacerx
03-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I got mine at home depot. 100 feet of whatever it was. Its an inch" diameter, flexible, and its about $300 for 100 feet and the neccessary connectors/clips (if your hooking up to a box like I was). I did all the welding on my Jeep with the cord and never any problems or anything like that. Actually I got mine with the welder but I helped make a hundred foot for my friend, exact copy. Its beefy. The coiled up cord weighs about 50 pounds.

JeepinHank
03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
I think I made mine out of 8/3. It also has a copper ground wire, but I don't have any kind of ground in my shop.

Mine is only 25' long, but with that and the ~7' on the welder, I can get it pretty much anywhere I need it. That's a new one I just made... I started out with some old heavy ass burial cable that I found when I was cleaning out the shop after I bought my house. It was about 30' long, cumbersome as hell, and weighed a ton. Still works like a champ, its just too much of a hassle to move around...

IMHO - don't go overboard with the cable. It's not going to provide you with much of a benefit, and it'll be a major pain to move around. Also if you're going to need a 20' cable 90% of the time and a 50' cable 10% of the time - Make 2 cables (1 - 20' and 1 - 30'). Then when you need all 50' just plug the two together. Just a preference, but it gets to be a pain hauling around a bunch of cable that you're not really going to need a majority of the time. One of our resident electricians will probably chime in and point out a problem with doing this, but like I said, its just a personal preference of mine.

OverkillZJ
03-25-2005, 12:30 PM
I think I made mine out of 8/3. It also has a copper ground wire, but I don't have any kind of ground in my shop.

Mine is only 25' long, but with that and the ~7' on the welder, I can get it pretty much anywhere I need it. That's a new one I just made... I started out with some old heavy ass burial cable that I found when I was cleaning out the shop after I bought my house. It was about 30' long, cumbersome as hell, and weighed a ton. Still works like a champ, its just too much of a hassle to move around...

IMHO - don't go overboard with the cable. It's not going to provide you with much of a benefit, and it'll be a major pain to move around. Also if you're going to need a 20' cable 90% of the time and a 50' cable 10% of the time - Make 2 cables (1 - 20' and 1 - 30'). Then when you need all 50' just plug the two together. Just a preference, but it gets to be a pain hauling around a bunch of cable that you're not really going to need a majority of the time. One of our resident electricians will probably chime in and point out a problem with doing this, but like I said, its just a personal preference of mine.

LOL, no problem with that as long as the overall length of the two cables together can handle the load of a big welder at that length without degrading. Cable is a real PITA to move around though, so not a bad idea. I have one 25' cable and two plugs so I can plug it in where needed.

I would want a ground though :weedman:

JeepinHank
03-25-2005, 01:04 PM
nahhh - neutral, ground, same thing right? :smt002

OverkillZJ
03-25-2005, 07:45 PM
nahhh - neutral, ground, same thing right? :smt002

:supz:
Exception of 3 wire 240 in a metal box when the hot hits the box, and it doesn't trip so when you touch that box YOUR FUCKED!

240's not that bad though. Got hit with 480 in a catwalk, FAWK that hurt like a bitch...

nate
03-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Yup.. I got the Lincoln 175 Plus, a Miller XLi Auto dark helmet, 25' of 8/3 wire and a plug. Should have it hooked up tomorrow if I get a chance. I didn't get a cart yet, the only ones they had where like $230, sold out of the $65 Lincoln ones.

Also got to cut some 3/16" pieces I need to for the Jeep with Plasma... Yup, that's next on the list. Wow those are sweet!

Mtn WJ
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Looks like your first project is going to be build a cart for your welder.