PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5L GMC

nate
03-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Anyone here deal with the 6.5L? I don't know much much about the GM diesels. Looking at a 93 K35000 (1 ton) with the 6.5L and NV4500 tranny. Opinions...

dasVettemeister
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Run away from that thing unless it's a SCREAMIN' deal. Hell, don't even buy it then. I'd consider it only if it comes with a full-time dwarf diesel mechanic that resides under the hood. That particular diesel is the biggest POS I have ever had the displeasure of working on. That engine series had buku problems from the onset till its demise. Picking up one of those will give you serious migraines. Not to mention the fact that they are completely gutless. Just my $0.02

BTW - I'm somewhat qualified to make these comments as I worked on semis and heavy equipment for quite a while, not to mention a few of those crappers.... Now I have my sanity back. :smt003

chadjans
03-19-2005, 11:18 PM
what are said problems. You may be qualified but you gave no factual info.

Chad

nate
03-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah...

I found a nice 95 F-350 yesterday for $8500. Clean truck, only thing is it's blue, but it's one of those blues and almost looks purple... I sure as hell ain't driving a purple truck..

dasVettemeister
03-23-2005, 09:01 AM
what are said problems. You may be qualified but you gave no factual info.

Chad

Injection issues, cracked heads, blocks, etc. Not the most durable / long-lived engine. If you want more info, do some research. It's been a while and that's what I remember. There's your 'factual info'.

nate
03-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I never really heard of GM diesels being all that great. I found an 86 F-350 for $2500... 130,000 miles... 4" lift on 35s, body is decent. Needs glow plugs and front U joints though.

dasVettemeister
03-23-2005, 09:47 PM
I've never thought very highly of any GM diesel. They generally could never live up to expectations. I don't even think the Duramax is that great of an engine. Definitely not as reliable or strong as the Ford or Dodge. Of course if you ask anyone that has a Duracrap how they feel about it they'll tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Generally these are the guys that know jack shit about diesels, and this is the first diesel they've ever owned. Add the fact that they paid through their ass for the thing so they think it's the greatest engine on earth. The Fords and Dodges will outpull their "greatest engine on earth." Oh yeah, and I've always been a die-hard Chevy freak. Go figure.

DR.BOOST
12-25-2005, 02:00 AM
THE DIRTYMAX IS A GOOD MOTOR ONLY ON THE DAYS THAT IT FEELS LIKE RUNNING GOOD. THEY HAVE OUTSTANDING NUMBERS AS FAR AS HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE, BUT I DON'T THINK I WOULD OWN ONE WITHOUT A WARRANTY AND EXTRA TOW RIG TO GET IT TO THE DEALER. ON THE NEWER ONES '02 UP, YOU CAN GET 330 HP AND 600TQ ADDITIONAL FROM A PROGRAMMER AND EXHAUST ALONE.

gearhead313
12-26-2005, 07:24 PM
This is very interesting b/c im looking at a 95 rollback with the diesel in it. I'll have to drive it and really look it over.

Is there any particular things to look for when you are there?

KeepItCrunk
12-26-2005, 10:15 PM
My family had a 86 F350 with that good ol' international non turbo deisel, and that thing was a PIG! it could tow anything, up any hill, just don't expect it to get there in any record time. Then we got a 95 chevy with that 6.5 in it and we put on 157k and we sold her with nothin but oil changes, brakes, 1 front end overhaul and a bed, (curtosy of a drunk 19 year old not seeing the red light we were at... bad day). then we got an S4 for like 7 years and a few months ago i picked up a 02 duramax and i love that thing, balls to the wall, awesome 19mpg city 21mpg highway. no probs yet aside from the speed sensor and a tentioner (both recalls). I work at a ski area and we run 4 2500HD's with 6.0's, all have 50k give or take, oil, brakes, nothing else. TRUST ME, they get the PISS beaten out of them. They we got a 05 3500 1 ton duramax dually, 18k with not a problem, and a 05 5500 dmax dump with just over 2k on it, no probs other then a recall other then 2 recalls, one on a turbo sensor, and the filters on it were waayyyyyy to fine and they choked the engine after about 650 miles lol. no offense and im not doubting you at all DasVettemeister, every truck is different, we just had good luck with our chevys. Personally, id never own a ford. We ran 2 F250's and a 1 ton non-turbo deisel F350 and they went through oil pans, gas tanks and especially front ends like you would not beleive. We did 2 tranny's in the F350 before it had 35k on it, we just gave it away cause it was complete junk. I don;t doubt theres a hundred people out there that can say the exact opposite, im just givin you my $0.02. hope it helps