PDA

View Full Version : Water, why are we cursed with water...

Halfdoc
03-12-2005, 03:12 AM
A few teasers from todays run. We ran FR42. Normally a sandy rutted trail with offcamber, ups and downs and nice desert views.

WAY above normal precipitation for the year has the nearby lake at capacity...so we went boating.

Enjoy.

Album (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2129633285)

Bypass is the white box with arrow (but you have to get to the "bypass"):

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pcab9043cd98f03cce093b6eb9931774b/f4dc5213.jpg

33's

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p23fe04144452fcb5db16dc32fedad2f2/f4dc4f5f.jpg

37's

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pc35eff1164c69a4aa92fdc43e528471a/f4dc4fd2.jpg

Colorado 5.9
03-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Wow! I'm not sure if I would have wanted to do that. My 5.9 has a natural fear of water.:D At least you guys have SUN & good temps this year. Still sorry I couldn't make it.

Swamp boy
03-12-2005, 09:49 AM
NIce... I love a beach.... :smt003

Cody
03-13-2005, 03:43 AM
ummm, that would have sucked for me. I would have been swimming lol

Cody

Jim311
03-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Haha.. boating :rolleyes:

My Jeep has seen some deep water too :mrgreen:

BigDaveZJ
03-13-2005, 09:09 PM

Cody

Looks like Jason did get a little wet!!!

Sandy R
03-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Cody

Cody:
We all had water on our floor boards, even Kevin's, as tall as it is. By far the deepest water I've ever traversed.

rrubioWJ
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
4 of us turned around there and headed back to a different trail..

nmzj
03-14-2005, 03:35 PM

Cody

The water was about 2"'s from my wifes ass...

On a side note, power seats can be submerged and still work. LOL

Jason

PassRunnerZJ
03-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Water fording note-from experiance: Unless you have changed where your rear differential vent tube terminates (at least on the ZJ) it will suck water into the diff when the water level goes above the uniframe where the rear shocks mount. Jeep in their not so good wisdom terminated the rear diff tube much lower than the front one that terminates by the air box.

To remedy the situation I spliced another section of tube in and terminated it up in the backside of the fuel filler area so that it too is at the air box level. I put some U's in the end of the line and attached it with a strong rectangular magnet from a bag closing kit and it has worked well for over a year and half.

So check the fluids for water contamination, even the long hot drive home on the highway won't evaporate all the water.

Sandy R
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Water fording note-from experiance: Unless you have changed where your rear differential vent tube terminates (at least on the ZJ) it will suck water into the diff when the water level goes above the uniframe where the rear shocks mount. Jeep in their not so good wisdom terminated the rear diff tube much lower than the front one that terminates by the air box.

To remedy the situation I spliced another section of tube in and terminated it up in the backside of the fuel filler area so that it too is at the air box level. I put some U's in the end of the line and attached it with a strong rectangular magnet from a bag closing kit and it has worked well for over a year and half.

So check the fluids for water contamination, even the long hot drive home on the highway won't evaporate all the water.

Good suggestion! Thanks.

Cody
03-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Thats a good way to fix it. I took the lincoln approach to fixing my breather on the axle

zap zap, no more hole to worry about. :D

Cody

ATL ZJ
03-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Thats a good way to fix it. I took the lincoln approach to fixing my breather on the axle

Cody

I've been told that if you dont have a breather, the heat from the gears, etc. will have nowhere to go and swell up and blow out the seals. But that might just be a problem at high speeds, which you don't do. That is if it's even true in the first place. :mrgreen:

OverkillZJ
03-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Cody

I've been told that if you dont have a breather, the heat from the gears, etc. will have nowhere to go and swell up and blow out the seals. But that might just be a problem at high speeds, which you don't do. That is if it's even true in the first place. :mrgreen:

I don't think it was heat, just the expansion of the gear oil I think when it gets hot at high speeds?

Cody
03-21-2005, 02:33 AM
I don't do much highspeed stuff--at leat not prolonged. I was/am a bit worried about it, but I never do highspeed for longer than 20-30 minutes.

Hopefully it will be ok. I guess only time will tell

Cody

ATL ZJ
03-21-2005, 02:38 AM

Cody

I don't think it was heat, just the expansion of the gear oil I think when it gets hot at high speeds?

You are correct. I phrased that wrong.

Halfdoc
03-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Good suggestion! Thanks.

Just a follow up. I finally got around to checking the fluids on the WJ this weekend. Everything was fine! I was really expecting water in everything. BTW, the rear breather tube on the WJ does go all the way to the fuel filler tube...at least for 2001. Both breather tubes terminate on the drivers side, which probably helped during our lake crossings.

David.

PassRunnerZJ
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
The WJ breather tube information is good to know since I haven't traced the it on the wife's WJ and I will share the information with my brother as his wife too has a WJ. Extra glad that you didn't get any water contaminiation in your diffs. -Todd