PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 231 question

cwm
03-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Ok so Im Knee deep in my tranfer case swap.
I Have a 93 Grand
I got a 97 wrangler tranfer case and of course the imput shaft is different.
I tore the 249 apart as per the searches said to do and of course the gear pitch is diferent on the 231.
Should I spend my time trying to find an imput shaft of equeal length and spline count by calling trany shops or look for another T Case???
Looks like no wheeling for me this weekend!!!
Colin

Krash80
03-12-2005, 05:23 AM
i'm not a t-case expert by any means, but i've gone through the same crap you're experiencing, and i would strongly suggest just finding another t-case. There are plenty of 231's out there that will bolt right up...just make sure the next one you buy matches the input shaft length and spline count of the 249 you just pulled.

or you could give up all hope (like i did when i wanted to swap a 242 into my ZJ) and spend 900$ on a remanned t-case that's guaranteed to bolt right up. :rolleyes:

-Ron-

scubatch2
03-16-2005, 12:16 AM
I just did mine last weekend,The whole job took about 3 hours.I took my old out and down to the junk yard.We matched it up to one w/ the same input lenght and size case (some are longer then others)The only thing that was diff. was the yoke,witch the guy at the yard gladly changed off another case.Brung it home and it was a direct bolt in :supz: :supz: .Sucks to have to get another case,but if you do it this way you can't go wrong.