PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joints

notsofun
03-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I have noticed for the past few months that my WJ has been getting progressively harder to turn to the left (and yeah I have good tire pressure and new tires and good alignment, also I have fine fluid level). Also a while back I hearda loud pop as I turned, but I inspected everything and nothing seem wrong. So I am going to assume that my balljoints have started to wear or does anyone have any other ideas.

-Peter

OverkillZJ
03-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd vote ball joints.

I'm moving this to repair shop though, Suspensions and Steering is more for discussion of implementing customized solutions than repairing stock components like ball joints.

notsofun
03-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks, sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

-Peter

Jeepin' Wolf
03-13-2005, 01:21 AM
I don't know about the ball joints. When they go they like to bang on really bumpy roads but in the few times that I'[ve replaced worn out joints thus far I've never noticed "harder turns" and believe me mine were shot to hell. I would vote steering box if anything else, make sure you did not bend your tie rod inward which could then get it to interfere with spring perch.

OverkillZJ
03-13-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't know about the ball joints. When they go they like to bang on really bumpy roads but in the few times that I'[ve replaced worn out joints thus far I've never noticed "harder turns" and believe me mine were shot to hell. I would vote steering box if anything else, make sure you did not bend your tie rod inward which could then get it to interfere with spring perch.

When mine were shot (really shot) they would pop on turns; but you're right, I didn't catch that he was "having trouble turning." - that doesn't sound like balljoints

I'd look over your whold steering setup end to end to be safe.

notsofun
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys, going to try some other things first, hope its not the pump.

Nordic1
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
lol my ball joints are really on their way out... What's a good replacement for them? Spicers? Any good recommendations?

OverkillZJ
03-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I've had the best luck with spicers. I blew the cheapo napa ones in like a week. The spicers have been holding up to the 35's with lots of abuse just fine though.

dasVettemeister
04-06-2005, 02:29 AM
I have noticed for the past few months that my WJ has been getting progressively harder to turn to the left (and yeah I have good tire pressure and new tires and good alignment, also I have fine fluid level). Also a while back I hearda loud pop as I turned, but I inspected everything and nothing seem wrong. So I am going to assume that my balljoints have started to wear or does anyone have any other ideas.

-Peter

Steering box. It's a Chrysler product.

Cue-Ball
04-06-2005, 02:41 AM
lol my ball joints are really on their way out... What's a good replacement for them? Spicers? Any good recommendations?

I just got a complete set (uppers/lowers) from Ryan at WWW.THE-JEEP-GUY.COM The guy was absolutely GREAT to deal with, and had great prices. I also got my new 1-ton TRE's from him, he really knows his shit.

Be sure to tell him I sent you (maybe he will give me a break on the next stuff I order from him)

nate
04-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Spicer Ball joints are like $45 a side at the Napa here.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-06-2005, 11:45 AM
anyone running offset ball joints? I know AW's got them on his but he's damn near 7" of lift IIRC. I need to replace mine pretty soon.

Nordic1
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Jerod's running offset balljoints? You sure?

lol maybe thats whats clunking on his rig.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
04-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Jerod's running offset balljoints? You sure?

lol maybe thats whats clunking on his rig.

i think so... like 1.5* offset. Was it someone else?

TS FSU
07-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I have the same popping when turning in both directions. Jeep is almost to 84k, no service records from previous owners either. I've been to a mechanic and he said everything looks good, but he had me in and out in 20 minutes so I'm putting my money on him not checking very thoroughly. I'm suspecting bad ball joints on both sides after reading this thread, but recently while doing a u-turn I got some rub from the right rear. I'm perplexed.

Here's my JeepForum thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173702

Colorado 5.9
07-09-2005, 12:30 AM
I've had the best luck with spicers. I blew the cheapo napa ones in like a week. The spicers have been holding up to the 35's with lots of abuse just fine though.

Your right! Napa's do suck big time. I just found out this morning that the upper pass. side was loose a bit. I could move the tire in & out about an 1/8". Corey & I just put all new ones in last Sept. when we swapped the HP 30 in. I'll bet the I haven't put more that 5000 miles ont the 5.9 since. I swapped it out for one we pulled out last sept. It is just fine. I did buy a lower one( dura last) at auto zone. The lower never did press in very hard so Corey tap welded the top. Well the welds were broken and when I knocked the knuckle off, the ball joint fell out with it still pressed into the knuckle. :shake: The duralast pressd in reel tight. :smt001 . I hoped all this would fix my vibes that I've had since coming back from Moab. Since I've gone through every other thing to find it.Noooope. :smt013

OverkillZJ
07-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Could the vibes be from zap straps? :weedman:

Colorado 5.9
07-09-2005, 12:38 AM
:finga: