PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Vent

nate
03-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Guys with 8.8s... how did you setup your axle vent? I have mine in the stock spot and it always pumps grear lube out the vent.

I was thinking either moving to the top of the tube, or otherwise I was thinking of putting the vent on the housing, maybe use the ABS hole and make a piece to fit in there.

Ideas??

OverkillZJ
03-11-2005, 09:00 PM
What about plugging it (threading and using a bolt) and drilling / tapping a fitting at the top of the diff? That's what I did to my 44 since the truss covered up the old vent hole.

nate
03-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah I wil plug the stock spot... just weld it up though. I am rebuilding the axle, so will be pretty easy.

I am thinking the top of the diff. I'm thinking maybe use the ABS sensor... just machine a plug to fit in there. I could drill another hole as well... though I alredy have 1 for teh ARB... less is better IMO.

Matt, what did you used to plumb the vent to the diff? Just like a air hose fitting? or did you reuse the stock one?

OverkillZJ
03-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Matt, what did you used to plumb the vent to the diff? Just like a air hose fitting? or did you reuse the stock one?

The previous owner of my 44 had an ARB air locker in it, and had just put a plug in the air fitting hole. I found a fitting that lead to a nipple which connects to the clear hose I have going up as a breather.

Raacerx
03-12-2005, 04:24 PM
Whys that happen, the oil coming out? Cause its angled back? On my old 8.8 the truss covered the diff breather hole so I just drilled a new one and welded it straight up 90 degrees once I had the pinion set.

Come to think of it, my 9" does that now a little but I expect thats because its angled a good bit back due to the CV driveshaft.

nate
03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Yeah when I fill it up, it will leak oil out of the vent for a while, until the oil gets low enough. And the vent is right by my rear taillight, so it makes a mess all over the bumper, etc.

I was thinking of putting it straight up on the tube. Right now it's not, but it's not leaning WAY bad... so I don't know if it will be enough. I don't want to do it twice if I can prevent it.

How about where the ABS sensor is, think the ring gear would sling oil up threw the line? I am thinking of having my brother machine me an adapter that would fit in that hole...

RufftyTuffty
03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Yeah when I fill it up, it will leak oil out of the vent for a while, until the oil gets low enough. And the vent is right by my rear taillight, so it makes a mess all over the bumper, etc.

I was thinking of putting it straight up on the tube. Right now it's not, but it's not leaning WAY bad... so I don't know if it will be enough. I don't want to do it twice if I can prevent it.

How about where the ABS sensor is, think the ring gear would sling oil up threw the line? I am thinking of having my brother machine me an adapter that would fit in that hole...

Just run 4' of 3/8 tubing up to the gas flap door...

nate
03-13-2005, 01:43 PM
The vent runs up to by the rear tailight, like 4-5' of tubing.