PDA

View Full Version : noOb- type alarm question

ATL ZJ
03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
The alarm system on my brother's 96 stock ZJ went off this afternoon when he opened the door with his key. He never got the keyless entry remote when he bought it used, so he can't unlock it with that. Putting the key in the ignition does nothing. So finally I had to disconnect the negative battery cable to get it to shut up rather than waiting the full 3 minutes for it to go off. Does he need to get a remote for it?

I think I'll cross-post this over to NAGCA since the folks over there live for stuff like this.

OverkillZJ
03-11-2005, 01:17 AM
My alarm always goes off when opening the passengers door, and I have top open the drivers door with it's key SLOWLY or the alarm goes off.

ZJ alarms suck...

ATL ZJ
03-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Hahaha, that's pretty funny. You should have your dealer look at that. :finga:

During all the rediculous honking, I think we forgot to try the key in the door to lock/unlock it and try to disarm it, so that may be all it needs. Or it could be yet another malfunctioning crappy ZJ alarm. His ZJ has a kill switch with a removable key which I thought was pretty cool... Don't think that was stock.

FinlayZJ
03-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Stick key in drivers side door. Turn the key counter clockwise and hold it in that position until the alarm STFU.

On second thought, i'm pretty sure it's CCW, but it might be CW. Either way, turn the key and hold it in that position.

:finga:

OverkillZJ
03-12-2005, 12:57 PM
CCW

ATL ZJ
03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Locking/ unlocking teh driverside door while the alarm went apeshit did the trick. thanks

TrojanMan
03-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Hahaha, that's pretty funny. You should have your dealer look at that. :finga:

During all the rediculous honking, I think we forgot to try the key in the door to lock/unlock it and try to disarm it, so that may be all it needs. Or it could be yet another malfunctioning crappy ZJ alarm. His ZJ has a kill switch with a removable key which I thought was pretty cool... Don't think that was stock.

I'm building a kill switch for kevin, I can make it with a key if you want.. I'll sell it pretty cheap if you want one. I'll give a mallcrawlin discount.

ATL ZJ
03-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Trojan, how much? it would be kinda cool... not sure if my pile of shit is worth stealing. :lol: ...but then again when I build me some tube doors, it might come in handy. PM me with a price, remembering that I am a pitifully broke college student. :mrgreen: thanks

TrojanMan
03-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking maybe about 30 bucks or so. I'm not sure, when I finish the prototype and test it, I'll run a bill of materials and such.

ATL ZJ
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmmm. Something in that range might be worth it. Just let me know.

Cam

zj-monster
02-28-2006, 07:56 PM
ZJ alarms suck...

Oh yea, my alarm went ape-shit on me now. This morning I went to unlock my jeep with my remote and the bitch decided to go off as I was opening my door. After jerking off with the remote, I decided to do the key trick...

Right now I'm just gonna undo the battery and let it sit for a while. Has anyone just ripped the sucker out or at least taken out the fuse without diabling something else in the process?

CurtP
02-28-2006, 08:07 PM
This is funny (to me anyway). I have an aftermarket alarm system with remote start that I'd like to rip out - so I can go back to the factory alarm system.

If I recall correctly, the 96-98 factory alarm can be disabled, but I think it requires a trip to the dealership. I'll look it up in a little bit.

zj-monster
02-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Silly ass me...I forgot to mention that I have a '98. The funny thing is that my nieghbors have told me that the damn thing goes off in the middle of the night. Thanks to my trip to Iraq, I can sleep thru anything now...including that damned alarm. Today I managed to park the damn jeep in front of my office...waiting for that bitch to go off but it never did.

:smt108 ...I know that bitch is just waiting to go off when I'm not around...:smt104

OverkillZJ
02-28-2006, 08:17 PM
There's some wire, I think it was purple, under the dash that disarms it when it receives a signal (supposedly) - it's supposed to make it work with aftermarket stuff.

rob92xj
03-02-2006, 03:06 PM
The problem with the 96 and later ZJ's and the factory alarm system is:
1 they suck
2 they are integrated into the electronics ie; BCM and PCM
Most of time if they go off for no reason it is the hood switch or one of the door switchs are out adjustment.
I have never tried to remove one as I have found the problems to be the above and it is easier to fix it than rip it out.

zj-monster
03-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Check this shit out...

The damn alarm went off while a buddy and I were working on the door switches. The back hatch was wide open too...now I know for sure that these alarms suck, I just want to know why Chrystler even bothered with this system. It has no real use for me and I am now convinced this system needs to be ripped out or by-passed.

The only aftermarket mods I did to my jeep was add an aftermarket radio & an optima battery. I don't see how these could be my problem but I know shit happens.

I think what I'm gonna do is go to my local audio shop and ask them what they have to deal with when they install aftermarket alarms. I know a few bling-bling ZJ/WJ's that have aftermarket systems. I'm sure I'll get some good info that I can post. Also,to back up the info OverkillZJ posted...Swampboy posted some info on Jeep Horizons about looking under the dash to find the alarm module and run the purple wire and the yellow wire to ground. This will bypass the alarm and eliminate your problems...I just might do this.

BTW, thanx for the additonal info rob. :D

Aidan
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I hate my alarm, I left my car in the school parking lot once and apparently my alarm doesnt reset. So it got set off and just kept going till the battery drained and I couldnt start my car next time I tried to go home. Went to the dealer and they couldnt find anyway at all to disable it, so....

ATL ZJ
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
It has no real use

Try starting the vehicle with the alarm going off and then tell me it doesn't do anything..

I think we all know stock sucks.. Buy a toyota or keep modifying your Jeep.