PDA

View Full Version : checking for worn balljoints

Hurricane 4x4
03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
think i may have some worn bj's on my 96 grand

there is a bit of a loose feel when the front end goes over small bumps... you can hear that there is some play somewhere in the suspension

I dont have BPE's, but i'm confident the shock is not the source

anyway, to check for worn balljoints... do i just jack the axle off the ground, grab the wheel, and feel for play?

Troy
03-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Yep, jack up the front end, grab the tire at the 0 and 180 degreee marks and push/pull in opposite directions to feel if there's any play. Have someone watch the balljoint too if they're available.

robselina
03-06-2005, 09:04 PM
usually when you lift the vehicle off the ground with the jack you can see the ball joints shift.

It's probably your trackbar bushings though...

OverkillZJ
03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Yep, jack up the front end, grab the tire at the 0 and 180 degreee marks and push/pull in opposite directions to feel if there's any play. Have someone watch the balljoint too if they're available.

I also sometimes take "most" of the weight off of the wheel with a jack, and put a breaker bar under the tire so I can see if there's any signifigant up/down play. Same idea, different method!

Hurricane 4x4
03-07-2005, 10:53 AM
to me it feels like it would be balljoints, but the trackbar is definately a possibility..... i should have a chance to look at it today so i'll let you all know what i find