PDA

View Full Version : Any of you dirty hippies run grease in your diesel as a DD?

FinlayZJ
03-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm looking into getting a VW TDI as a DD since i'm moving out to the sticks because that's all I can afford. Anyone run grease in a diesel? How much work do you put into filtering it? What do you run? Where did you get it? How much do you store? Any bacterial problems with it?

I've read a bunch on some TDI sites, but just hoping to gain some more input. Thanks.

Edit: Didn't realize you had a DD section. My bad :toimonst:

nate
03-17-2005, 10:01 AM
You talking about biodiesel?? I was reading up on that the other day and it's a big process to make that shit. Gotta play Mr. Wizard with chemicals and all.

Jeepinparrothead
03-17-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't do it but have done reasearch on it and this is all the info I have found. It is a very interesting concept. Think about it you could end up filling up at Mcdonalds :drinkers: www.greasecar.com

ATL ZJ
03-17-2005, 12:07 PM
In the past year you've said you were getting:

Nissan Z
2005 Mustang
Longarming your ZJ and putting it on 35s

and...
04 Rubicon (which actually happened :smt107)
and now a VW TDI? :finga: :yawinkle:

Where abouts are you moving to?

dasVettemeister
03-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Volkswagen TDIs will run just fine on biodiesel. I believe with their older TDI engines you could only run a max of a 50% mix. The new ones will run on all you can throw at them. To verify this, you might want to do a search on www.vwvortex.com. You will find all the information you need there. I seem to recall a thread about that a month or so back. Just don't go to that site on a regular basis or it will rot your brain. Anything but white-bread posts is verbotten. Independent thinking is also frowned upon. Yes, I was banned. :smt003

FinlayZJ
03-19-2005, 11:03 PM

A VW TDI on grease would pay for itself in 18 months with $2.65 a gallon fuel costs over driving the TJ. 50 mile a day commute wears on the bank account.

I am just trying to understand the idea for a daily driver over the TJ to see if it is something I want to pursue.

Oh yeah, I gave up on the ZJ because it really started to crap out mechanically, and the DW on 285 in the mornings and afternoons was really starting to piss me off. I would gladly trade that bastard in again if I had to do it over. :finga:

ATL ZJ
03-20-2005, 12:13 AM

A VW TDI on grease would pay for itself in 18 months with $2.65 a gallon fuel costs over driving the TJ. 50 mile a day commute wears on the bank account.

I am just trying to understand the idea for a daily driver over the TJ to see if it is something I want to pursue.

Oh yeah, I gave up on the ZJ because it really started to crap out mechanically, and the DW on 285 in the mornings and afternoons was really starting to piss me off. I would gladly trade that bastard in again if I had to do it over. :finga:

I know WHY you did it, I was just poking fun at your indecision in the pursuit of the ideal vehicle.

Alaska ZJ
04-21-2005, 09:38 AM
2drez on this board was featured on Discovery for making Biodiesel. I went to his house and checked it out. Cool as hell. He uses it mostly to heat his house.

I thought about running straigh WVO but with my cold climate it just would never work.

And making BD is not hard at all. I made a small batch out of some old fry oil just to see if I could. 5 gallons worth.

My biggest problem what what to do with the glycerin that is left over. I can only make so much soap.....lol. So I took 2drez's advice and spread it on my neighbors lawn and watched him mow it 3 times a week for a couple months.....lol

Jeepinparrothead
04-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Wow your back from the dead. Welcome......Will it really make grass grow like that. I didn't know that.

2drezq
04-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I've got TONS of experience running diesels on BD. I don't like WVO, as you don't know what contaminants you might be dumping into your motor. Also, for short trips it isn't the best, as the motor must be started and warmed on BD or dinosaur poop (petro-diesel).

Hey, Alaska; Wanna see a cool new pastime I invented using fire, glycerine, and firearms?

I went down to Mexico last fall and built a processor for a college down there. Those folks really NEED BD, 'cause the air in most cities is really thick.

Tommy
04-28-2005, 12:38 AM
2drez on this board was featured on Discovery for making Biodiesel. I went to his house and checked it out. Cool as hell. He uses it mostly to heat his house.

I thought about running straigh WVO but with my cold climate it just would never work.

And making BD is not hard at all. I made a small batch out of some old fry oil just to see if I could. 5 gallons worth.

My biggest problem what what to do with the glycerin that is left over. I can only make so much soap.....lol. So I took 2drez's advice and spread it on my neighbors lawn and watched him mow it 3 times a week for a couple months.....lol

Alaska

Thats fucked up, but definately funny. Was the grass green. I have been contemplating fetilizing my nieghbors because it always looks like shit...

Alaska ZJ
02-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Chuck- You still owe me dinner.....maybe if I ever roll through ND again. It was a pleasure meeting you and my EOD buddy still talks about the mad scientist with 400 pounds of explosive in a plastic drum....lol

Tommy- Yah it makes the grass green. I wanted good coverage so I put it in one of those aftermarket spreaders that attaches to a hose. It took me 3 days to get it all spread out while my neighbor was at work. But watching him mow his lawn 3 times a week in the scortching heat was worth every second of it.

He is so dumb he never even noticed that the grass "growing" stopped in a damn near straight line that coincided with our property line....