PDA

View Full Version : pro comp ??????

zj95
03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
This is my first post and Ill start buy saying hello.
I just got a pro comp 3 ' lift and over all Im very pleased, but when I picked it up from the shop I measured it the Height distance and it was setting 2 3/4 inches higher in the front and only 1 3/4 or something like that in the back. Then when I got in I couldn't see in the rear view mirror. So I asked the shop owner about it and he said that was odd to him also and said that he would call pro comp and ask about it. The next day he called me and said that pro comp made the kit that way for some reason, I told him that he has to do something about it because that wasn't going to do the job. so the two weeks later I took it back and they put 1 1/4" spacers in the back.

It's all right now but does this sound right to you or is shop owner Lying to me. Thanks for any comments.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
you coudnt see in the rear view mirror? WTF?

you may get more responses over at www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Great first post . . . . . :smt120

I'd usually delete this, but since you're new I'll just move it to newbie tech.

And BTW, ProComp sucks the fat one.

zj95
03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
sorry :smt102

LouisianaZJ
03-03-2005, 05:35 PM
:finga: :supz: :partyman: :rock: :tonqe: :butthead:

1) you used pro-crap lift
2) you used a shop for a lift
3) you used a procrap lift
4) you dont know how to adjust a rearview mirror

zj95
03-03-2005, 05:42 PM
i used the pro comp because its the most complete and the GC is a dd and travels about 20,000 miles or more a year and pulls a 7,500 pound trailer. :butthead:

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
i used the pro comp because its the most complete and the GC is a dd and travels about 20,000 miles or more a year and pulls a 7,500 pound trailer. :butthead:

So you bought a shitty kit that will see heavy use and towing?? GOOD ONE!!!!

LouisianaZJ
03-03-2005, 05:55 PM
oh i see, im kinda a newb myself to these jeep things

my bad

zj95
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Why are they sooooo bad? i've heard that they were to stiff but mine is fine of course i dont mind a rough ride. I mean its a jeep. :smt120

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 05:58 PM
Why are they sooooo bad? i've heard that they were to stiff but mine is fine of course i dont mind a rough ride. I mean its a jeep. :smt120

Springs will sag, offer little to no flex. Just crappily built stuff. It earned the name ProCrap.

OverkillZJ
03-03-2005, 05:58 PM

I wouldn't wish a pro comp lift on my worst enemy it is crap. Period. The mission of this forum is not to tell you why, you'll learn yourself when that front track bar bracket rips off and you rollover the side of the road.

zj95
03-03-2005, 06:00 PM
i have an after market track bar and no drop bracket. will it still do it?

LouisianaZJ
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
basically, you would be better off with a 2"BB and new shocks for $200

rather than the $700+ you probably burned getting this kit + paying for install

1)stock length LCA's with poly bushings - ponintless

2)crappy springs that are both stiff and sag :finga: the best of both worlds

3)shocks - crap

4)front t-bar bracket- idiotic

5)overpriced

zj95
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
1. i had the bb on it and it SUCKED
2.it came with bigger LCA's
3. i have rancho rs9000's on it
4.no trackbar bracket
5.true but i didnt have time to put a kit together because the bb screwed up the front end and it was barly driveable

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 06:17 PM
How does a BB screw up a front end oh great wise newb?

zj95
03-03-2005, 06:52 PM
dont know about that. it just screwed up the bushings and the UCA's. everything was lose and it also messed up the trackbar and allof the LCA's :smt102

zj95
03-03-2005, 06:54 PM
thats why i needed everything in the kit

LouisianaZJ
03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
:toimonst:

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 07:15 PM
dont know about that. it just screwed up the bushings and the UCA's. everything was lose and it also messed up the trackbar and allof the LCA's :smt102

Cuz the ProComp won't do the same thing. It's called proper maintenence of your vehicle. Make sure all the bolts stay tight and I get ya none of that would've happened!!

zj95
03-03-2005, 07:22 PM
it did it the first day it was on then they tightend it and noticed that all of those parts were messed up. they said it was because of all the new angles that the TB, tie rod , ball joints, sway bar,ect.

LouisianaZJ
03-03-2005, 07:27 PM
it did it the first day it was on then they tightend it and noticed that all of those parts were messed up. they said it was because of all the new angles that the TB, tie rod , ball joints, sway bar,ect.
OMFG

the new angles with the procomp are WORSE than the 2" BB was

do yourself a favor and delete this userID, and stick to jeepsunlimited

/thread

btw, you are an idiot

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 07:33 PM
OMFG

the new angles with the procomp are WORSE than the 2" BB was

do yourself a favor and delete this userID, and stick to jeepsunlimited

/thread

btw, you are an idiot

What he said.

zj95
03-03-2005, 07:38 PM
all of those angles were with the stock parts and bushings before now those angles are with new parts that will break in with the rest of the suspension

OverkillZJ
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
The pro comp components do not fix your angles. The arms are actually the same lenghty, just "look" better.

We don't call it pro crap for nothing. If you want to go bigger, go with a tried and true kit such as rubicon exress or go home.

Kraqa
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
:flipoff2: newbi

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 08:36 PM
all of those angles were with the stock parts and bushings before now those angles are with new parts that will break with the rest of the suspension

What he meant to say . . . . .

And trying to defend a ProCrap lift is COMPLETELY worthless on this forum, you won't change our minds.

Cody
03-03-2005, 08:58 PM
you guys are all giving him shit about his pro crap lift (and it's justified) but the biggest thing that stuck out to me was the "i'm towing 7500 lb trailer".

well, thats only suicidal, so you had to go and one up God and outfit the "tow rig" with shoddy cheap suspension components. Nice, so now you will not only kill yourself, but likely everyone else that happens to be unlucky enough to be near you as you pull 7500 lbs of anti-darwin pamphlets around the country.

I just hate to see stupid people harm normal people. It's sad.

Cody

BigDaveZJ
03-03-2005, 09:22 PM
you guys are all giving him shit about his pro crap lift (and it's justified) but the biggest thing that stuck out to me was the "i'm towing 7500 lb trailer".

well, thats only suicidal, so you had to go and one up God and outfit the "tow rig" with shoddy cheap suspension components. Nice, so now you will not only kill yourself, but likely everyone else that happens to be unlucky enough to be near you as you pull 7500 lbs of anti-darwin pamphlets around the country.

I just hate to see stupid people harm normal people. It's sad.

Cody

I saw he wanted to tow, but didn't catch the 7500lbs . . . . .

Paging Mr. Darwin . . . . wet cleanup on aisle 5 . . . . . .

BlackDiamondBound
03-03-2005, 10:13 PM
lol this was an entertaining thred to read...funny shit :smt081

OverkillZJ
03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
lol this was an entertaining thred to read...funny shit :smt081

LMAO, that was on the amusing side, wasn't it?

But still full of true info, only on MC :partyman:

AprilzWarrior
03-04-2005, 03:01 AM

I bet thats what the shop told you anyway !
So I dont hold that against you, BUT towing that much weight is not a good idea, AT ALL.

PC arms are the worst... take my word on it, the poly bushing sqeek and soon shread into shitty little pieces. PC springs are no better, like said before, they Sag quickly !

AW :smt003

zj95
03-04-2005, 03:08 AM
thank you. finaly someone helped me with a little more info and less ridicule! :smt003

zj95
03-04-2005, 03:31 AM
soooo does anyone want to answer my first question? :smt017

P.S. I checked my trailer and it is only 6800 pounds.
I have not towed with the lift yet but the stock suspension tows the trailer as good as a one ton truck. for now we will just use our truck to tow the trailer because the engine in the GC will not last much longer with 210,000 miles on it and it needs to last as long as possible since i wasted my money on that pro crap lift.

JeepinHank
03-04-2005, 10:25 AM
This is all going off of fuzzy memory from like 4 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt:

The shop owner wasn't lying when he said that's the way Pro Comp makes the lift. They do it like that because of the rear track bar. If you/they lift the rear more, you'll have to get an adjustable rear trackbar to line the rear axle back up. If you threw in some spacers, take a look at the rear axle from the back of the Jeep. You'll probably notice its shifted to the driver's side about 3/4". The only way to fix this is by modifying or replacing the rear track bar. You seem to like bolt-on, so I'd suggest the JKS one. Check out Kevins Offroad www.kevinsoffroad.com to get an idea on the price. If you look around, you can probably find a used one cheaper in the classifieds here or on other boards.

The shop owner WAS lying to you if he said the PC lift improved the angles. The lower control arms of the PC lift are the same length as stock lower control arms. Think about it - if you lift the front 3" over stock, the angles are going to be that much steeper than they were with the stock set-up. If I'm not mistaken the kit doesn't come with uppers, so you're probably running the same ones you were before. If you think the ride seems better, maybe he replaced the bushings? (Hell, maybe he replaced the arms - it was your coin)

You are much better off with an adjustable front track bar - at least you don't have to worry about that shizzy bracket breaking while you're speeding down the highway.

Welcome aboard - of you can take the heat here, you have an opportunity to learn a lot.

zj95
03-04-2005, 03:09 PM

zj-monster
03-05-2005, 12:58 PM
the bb screwed up the front end and it was barly driveable

Oh wow, I've been reading this forum for quite some time now & I must say, this question baffles me.

I have Kevins BB for almost a year now & I have never had any problems. It will stay that way untill I return home from Iraq. Thanks to this website, I have a wish list & better knowledge of what I want for my GC :smt003

OverkillZJ
03-05-2005, 01:06 PM

Oh wow, I've been reading this forum for quite some time now & I must say, this question baffles me.

I have Kevins BB for almost a year now & I have never had any problems. It will stay that way untill I return home from Iraq. Thanks to this website, I have a wish list & better knowledge of what I want for my GC :smt003

Installed properly, nobody has any problems with a budget boost :toimonst:

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-05-2005, 06:46 PM

muh heep got some death wiggle from the 2" superlift :smt085

BigDaveZJ
03-05-2005, 11:20 PM

WTF is death wiggle?? :smt075

Do a proper alignment and you'll be fine.

OverkillZJ
03-05-2005, 11:57 PM

what the FUCK is death "wiggle" LMAO

And I said installed properly. That includes everything tight and properly aligned.

Kraqa
03-06-2005, 12:03 AM
If you threw in some spacers, take a look at the rear axle from the back of the Jeep. You'll probably notice its shifted to the driver's side about 3/4".

the front will move to the drivers side the rear will go to the passenger.

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-06-2005, 12:49 AM
i was kidding guys :smt018

OverkillZJ
03-06-2005, 01:24 AM
i was kidding guys :smt018

We don't allow jokes here. :butthead:

Kraqa
03-06-2005, 01:36 AM
ahhhh hahahahahahahahahahahhaha hahahah why me laugh...

Swamp boy
03-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I am going to BB mine soon.. What size tires can I fit.. :smt003

Sorry.. I havent been to JU in a while and I was missing my daily tire size question.. :finga:

Jim311
03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Hardcore tech brought to you by MC :rolleyes:

Cody
03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
P.S. I checked my trailer and it is only 6800 pounds.
I have not towed with the lift yet but the stock suspension tows the trailer as good as a one ton truck.

lol, uh huh. :smt002 :smt002

Cody