PDA

View Full Version : cracked 231

phi564
03-03-2005, 10:39 AM
well i finally got around to clean'n up my 231 i've had in the garage for over a year. so after clean'n off 11 years of dirt and grime i found a crack in the front half of the case.

so my question is, do yall think it would be fine if i got it welded? or should i just try to find a front half of a 231 case?

i'll try to post some pics tonight so yall can see where exactly the crack is.

take it easy,
chris

MaineZJ
03-03-2005, 10:51 AM
it'd probably be ok welding (how long is it?)
but 231s are used in so many jeeps, probably best to find a better front half

nathaniel
03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
might not be a crack but looks like one and is part of the original casting. Maybe

phi564
03-03-2005, 09:04 PM
its definately a crack, i've got the case apart and can see it on the inside too.

the crack is probably 3-4 inches long, runs over the the output to the front axle.

yeah i probably could find another front half, but then i'd probably just end up buy'n a whole new case. which might be what i have to do, i dont really want to spend the money on it, but if getting it welded or buying a new case are about the same, id probably just get a new case, and keep this one for parts if i ever needed em.

any other input on the weld'n?

thanks,
chris

Nordic1
03-04-2005, 12:32 AM
aluminium wire in a mig... this could get exciting

phi564
03-04-2005, 12:37 AM
im take'n a welding class at my univ., i'm not an expert or anything, but from what i've learned about welding aluminum so far is that its a bitch. involves pre heat, weld, post heat. i dont think i'll try to tackle that one quite yet, i'm gonna talk to my professor on monday and see what he recommends.