PDA

View Full Version : Tune up stuff...

Cody
02-28-2005, 02:42 AM
OK guys talk to me. I'm not particularly good with motors. I can wire things and figure out suspension stuff, but when shit combusts I'm fucked.

So, my engine runs a little weak when it's cold (low idle, loss of power), but when it warms up it's just fine. I figure after all the thing has been through it deserves a tune up of some sort. So what simple, relatively inexpensive stuff can I do that will make a difference in how it runs and maybe squeeze a little more juice out of it.

Things I have and will do: Cap, rotor, plugs, wires.

I'm going to change the oil, flush the tranny, etc. But what else can I do? Do belts make a big differnce, besides the obvious cracking, how do you tell if you would benefit from new belts?

Are there other things I'm forgetting that I can do? Do you think plugging up that vacuum leak that i guess I created when I ripped off the charcoal canister will help things? I need to go back and find that thread so I know how to fix that one.

man I hate working on my rig. I need to develop a vehicle that is indestructable and requires zero maintenance. Every second I spend working on my dumb jeep is a second I'm not driving it or chasing blind chicks with low self esteem.

Well, wheelin season is about a month away. Time to gear up and go break some more shit.

Cody

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-28-2005, 03:33 AM
Every second I spend working on my dumb jeep is a second I'm not driving it or chasing blind chicks with low self esteem.

don't forget the fat chicks with low self esteem! LAZJ can tell you THAT'S the easiest way to get a girl.

As far as a tune up I would start off with the rotor, plugs, wires, and the other stuff you mentioned. I dont see any benefit in replacing the belt unless it is obviously cracked or deformed. You can always clean out the IAC motor and the throttle body, replace air, PCV, and tranny filters, and plug up that vaccuum leak. If you really want to give er some umph you could rebuild the top end of your engine or even convert her over to a stroker motor. I dont remember if you have the V8 or the 6er but all are worthwhile upgrades to get ur motor running right.

ATL ZJ
02-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Also you could clean all the sludge out of the oil pan and replace that gasket.

OverkillZJ
02-28-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree with cleaning up or even replacing that IAC, and cleaning up the throttle body a bit, as well as your usual caps/rotors/plugs.

I'd DEFINATELY patch up that vacume leak, when I riped off my charcoal canister, I couldn't even keep my jeep running (hot or cold) with that vacume leak in there, but every ZJ's different.

Do you know if your O2 sensors are good? I guess that'd only matter after it warms up though. I don't think they're used in closed loop mode while it warms up, anyone know?

Cody
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
I have no idea about my iac or 02 sensors. Didn't there used to be 2 o2 sensers--one before and one after the cat? Well, I don't really have a cat anymore.

Maybe I'll replace/clean the IAC. How hard is that to do?

Cody

BigDaveZJ
02-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Cody,
I think that was only on the OBDII models that there were 2 O2 sensors. Yours should only have one.

This is probably shit I should get around to doing too. Did the plugs maybe 60k ago and havent touched shit else since then.

Cody
02-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I did the plugs about 100 miles ago--but thats 1.5 years lol and it was a lot of hard miles. I think when you burn oil off the plugs it isn't good for them and I remember the last time I did them it ran sooo much smoother with much better throttle response. I know my wires are effed, and I've had this cap and rotor sitting around for almost 2 years. I've just been too lazy to do it and as long as the thing still starts and goes, then I haven't had any reason to change..

Cody

KevinM
03-01-2005, 08:00 PM
My heep is due for a cap and rotor. I have been putting it off because it looks impossible to get to on a V8. Also, can't you buy a higher performance cap/rotor/wire set. MSD?

OverkillZJ
03-01-2005, 08:01 PM
My heep is due for a cap and rotor. I have been putting it off because it looks impossible to get to on a V8. Also, can't you buy a higher performance cap/rotor/wire set. MSD?

It's not as hard to get to as it looks :)

TrojanMan
03-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Get a can of "Berryman B-12 Chemtool" and run it through the gas tank. Cleans the system out, really makes a difference. It isn't higly advertised but damn it does a good job.

Cody
03-20-2005, 12:20 AM
OK, I did the cap/rotor/plug/wires yesterday. Found out I was only running on 7 :rolleyes:. Also found out that my PCV valve had worked it's way out of the top of the...whatever that is--head cover or whatever lol. Anyways, I did the oil, and all the wires. Should I put a new pcv in there?

Where is the IAC and how do you clean that out? These are probably all things I should know but I suck. I'm going to clean out the throttle body on monday and the iac if I can figure that out on my own. I'd also like to fix that vaccuum leak from the charcaol canister.

Cody

OverkillZJ
03-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Running on 7/8, that's explain a lot of problems! :butthead:

I'd replace the PCV for the hell of it since it costs like $.75
Iac is up in your throttle body, you'll see a lil' black box connected to the plate that controls how much air goes in. I don't think you can really clean it though, it's just a stepper motor. You can clean the sensor that senses it's position though (TPS) as that can affect the IAC.

Just take the intake off, you'll see what I mean, it's pretty straight forward.