PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 battery relocate questions

Ken L
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm moving the battery (swapping places with the overflow bottle) so that I can mount a York. Does anyone know what the switch looking thing is that is in the bottom of the battery tray? (not the vacuum reservoir) I spent an hour looking thru the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual and didn't come up with anything. It looks like some sort of contact switch, but it isn't.

Just wondering to what lengths I need to go to put this in somewhere. I know that the factory doesn't usually have wires running to something for no reason.

Thanks.

Cue-Ball
02-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Ken,

Sounds like you need one of my service manual CD sets that includes all the wiring diagrams. ;)

Anyway to answer your question that is actually a battery temp switch. I recently added dual batts and replaced the stock battery box with an aftermarket one, what I did was simply leave the batt. temp switch connected and tucked it back out of the way under my new battery tray. By keeping it connected I did not have to deal with the check engine light.

You can check out pix of my dual batt set up in "project money pit" in the members journal section.

If you have any other questions about this just let me know (or if you want to order a set of the manuals on CD).

Ken L
02-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks, that's what I needed to find out.

I may take you up on the CD in the future. The Haynes manuals only go so far....

Cue-Ball
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Glad I could help, just let me know if you want the manuals.

Dirk

dasVettemeister
03-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Battery temp switch??? What function does it perform? (I know, duh, it senses the temp). I guess what I'm asking is does it sense high temp or low temp, and why? Some type of overtemp charging limit?

OverkillZJ
03-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Battery temp switch??? What function does it perform? (I know, duh, it senses the temp). I guess what I'm asking is does it sense high temp or low temp, and why? Some type of overtemp charging limit?

It supposively has something to do with the charging system; but I'm betting all it does is sense a batter overheating and cuts of the charging system. I took my battery tray out years ago (dual optima's in the back now) and just tucked it under the fuse box under the hood.

Worked out well, now when I have the laptop and autotap connected, it's a pretty accurate under hood temp sensor :weedman: