PDA

View Full Version : Sup new here, quick question differential related.

Silver85327
02-25-2005, 03:46 PM
So I finally got around to putting the front drive shaft in my zj.

When I bought it the dude was upfront and said it was makeing a noise, thats why he took it out.

Ok so I put it in and drove around the yard in low no noise no going over 15 mph.

So I stop throw it in neutral kick it in high cruise around the yard 15 mph no noise.

So I drive down to the road pull out and once i hit about 20 mph there starts a whine. You know the sound when you have aggressive tread and travel at highway speeds? Thats what it sounds like. The faster i go the louder it gets.

I have street tires. 31's they are not the cause of the sound. He replaced all the bearings, the shafts, only thing he hasnt done was replace the gears. I am thinking maybe the peeps that had it before HIM maybe installed new gears and didnt shim them right?

Anyways give me some thoughts before i tear the front pumpkin apart.

Silver85327
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Sorry i put this in thw wrong forum. Please move it if you feel the need.

JeepinHank
02-25-2005, 04:43 PM
You sure he replaced all of the bearings?

I'd put my money on the pinion bearing. If that's not the culprit, you're probably right in thinking its the R&P.

Does the noise change when going around curves or taking turns?

MaineZJ
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
You sure he replaced all of the bearings?
Does the noise change when going around curves or taking turns?

Mine does...

Swamp boy
02-25-2005, 08:37 PM
It would be easier and Cheaper to find an XJ with the gear ratio you need and just swap in that axle.. Its stronger anyway.. And if the r&p are shot , that LP30 is not worth messing with...
:D

Jim311
02-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Could just be noise from the driveshaft. Mine makes a fuckload of noise, but it ain't the R+P.

Silver85327
02-26-2005, 12:44 AM
Could just be noise from the driveshaft. Mine makes a fuckload of noise, but it ain't the R+P.

Sup Bra did you see my pic thread on the other forum? Im getting lots of hate over there LOL

robselina
02-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd put my money on the pinion bearing. If that's not the culprit, you're probably right in thinking its the R&P.

ditto on the pinion bearing. if it's the R&P, you should hear a different pitch on acceleration vs deceleration.

Another vote for replacing it with an HP axle if your R&P is bad...