PDA

View Full Version : Reduced turning radius with Long Arms?

JeepinHank
02-23-2005, 01:39 PM
I haven't really thought about this until just now.

For the folks that built their own LAs, Do you rub on your LCA?

I was planning on mounting mine to my unirail sleeve, but from the looks of things, I'll be rubbing the LCAs at full lock. I like my turning radius, and really don't want to reduce it if I don't have to. I'm swapping a HP 30 in, so no full width benefits. Hoped to be running the same 3.75" backspacing wheels I have now.

I know when I saw Kraqa's build up pics, he had the tell-tale scrub marks on his LCAs. Is that the case for everyone?

I'll probably just have to build it and see where everything ends up. Just another wrench to throw in my plans I guess. :neutral:

ATL ZJ
02-23-2005, 01:45 PM
Not exactly what you're looking for, but...

I'm running 3.75" BS wheels and Kevin's LA setup, Waggy 44 front. I rub on the LCAs at full lock, especially if the steering is slightly off in one direction.

JeepinHank
02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
That gives me a little insight, and that's really all I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info. I don't really know how creative I can get with my mounting points. Kinda committed to what I'm using for most of my stuff, but I might try to play around with the placement a bit.

speedmontzj
02-23-2005, 03:12 PM
i have a chevy d44 with claytons las and 5"bs and my tires are gonna rub like a muthafawker.

Nordic1
02-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I have KOR's and it rubs

OverkillZJ
02-23-2005, 05:17 PM
Claytons, stock width HP30, 3.75" backspacing + 12.5" wide tire = rub

But I don't really care...

chadjans
02-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Rubs with 33's 2 inch square arms and 3.75 wheels and 3 washers on the stops. Hell my Pro Comp crap rubbed MANY years ago with 31's. Get over it. It polishes the arms nicely. Bling Bling

Chad

Jim311
02-23-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure I know of anybody who doesn't have this problem. Since the arms are smooth it's not like it'll damage the tire anyway.

JeepinHank
02-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Rubs with 33's 2 inch square arms and 3.75 wheels and 3 washers on the stops. Hell my Pro Comp crap rubbed MANY years ago with 31's. Get over it. It polishes the arms nicely. Bling Bling

Chad

:lol:

Just fielding the question. I'd never heard it mentioned, but it seems to be a real issue for everyone with LAs. I've already cut off my LCA mounts, so I'm past the point of no return. Just trying to figure out if I can remedy it with the placement of my mounts. Sounds like I can't, so I'm not going to really worry about it.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Krash80
02-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Why wouldn't they rub? If you're using a stock axle w/ stock mounting points, your longarms, regardless of where they're mounted on the frameside are going to be almost in the exact same position as the short arms were relative to the tires. If you make your frameside mounts actually on the framerails, they will probably rub even more so because you're actually changing the angle that the arms run on...the stock short arms get closer to each other as they approach the frame, which is why i made my frameside mounts for my LA's inboard of the frame-rails...to follow the stock lines...but mine still rubbed with any D30 i put in. I'm hoping my tires won't rub them anymore with the wider axles that are going under my heep.

=Ron=

Raacerx
02-27-2005, 09:31 PM
With 4.25" backspacing, 8" wide rim, 33x12.5" tires mine rubbed on the LCA. But it only limited about a 1/2 or 3/4" movement so the difference was barely noticeable.