PDA

View Full Version : tube bumper

speedmontzj
02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
isnt there someone on here or nagca with a protofab bumper. im about to start building one and wanted some ideas. is everyone that is building their own bumper using 2x4 in the end of the "frame" rails ? 13/4 x 120 wall should be plenty strong with 3/8 plate for the winch mount.

mtnzj
02-21-2005, 03:20 AM
kevinsoffroad has a tube prerunner type front bumper

speedmontzj
02-21-2005, 03:59 AM
it is just one of these http://www.protofab4x4.com/prod0240.htm he is sellling. look at the web adress of the pics.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-21-2005, 04:53 AM
trancezj has a protofab. seems to be a nice alternative to kevins b$u$m$p$e$r.

Jim311
02-21-2005, 08:04 AM
I like the Protofab bumper but when Kevin quoted me on shipping it was 250+!! For that price I'll go ARB or Trailready even.

diverkr
02-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Kevin's stuff is getting just as pricey as every other manufacturer. But he does have to keep up with steel price increases. ;)

jsteves
02-22-2005, 11:29 AM

dude, if you read the line right above you would see that those bumpers are one and the same :roll:

Trancezj
02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah I've got the protofab.. It's fine. Tough. I mean...... if I haven't fucked it up yet then it's bound to be pretty damn tough.

OverkillZJ
02-22-2005, 12:14 PM

dude, if you read the line right above you would see that those bumpers are one and the same :roll:

Puma does a good job of putting his foot in his mouth sometimes :flipoff2:

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-22-2005, 12:50 PM

Puma does a good job of putting his foot in his mouth sometimes :flipoff2:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

but only when talkin to Dave's girlfriend :lol:

chadjans
02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
I like the Protofab bumper but when Kevin quoted me on shipping it was 250+!! For that price I'll go ARB or Trailready even.

Florida is about as far away as you get from Arizona where the proto stuff is made. Did you expect a 50 dollar shipping fee?

speedmontzj
02-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah I've got the protofab.. It's fine. Tough. I mean...... if I haven't fucked it up yet then it's bound to be pretty damn tough.

you got any close up pics of how it mounts to the body?

happy
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
hey speed dude..u got any more pics of ur jeep like a driveway shot and not garage...i think u have one of the sweetest zj's..height and width is perfect...u said u have a lot of backspacing right?

happy
03-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Oh btw this bumper on this 4runner i think is awsome....

what i want to do is cut ot the stock crossmember and weld in steel 2x4 to the width of the frame rails... then do a tube bumper exactly like this one in the pic, exept with a stinger hoop with side supports...
also the stinger would be a smaller tube size

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/4runner/sas/smittymod.jpg

speedmontzj
03-09-2005, 03:08 PM
hey speed dude..u got any more pics of ur jeep like a driveway shot and not garage...i think u have one of the sweetest zj's..height and width is perfect...u said u have a lot of backspacing right?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/speedmontzj/sus%20axles/56908139.jpg

yes i have 5" of backspacing. i can get you some when i get it back from the gear install.

paulkeith
03-09-2005, 07:41 PM
2"x2" or 2"x4" fits well into the ends of the frame rails. make sure you go far enough into the frame, and also put a full length doubler along the outside of the "frame" so you spread out any load it will see as much as possible.

dasVettemeister
03-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it cost so much to ship a bumper like that!!! I'm pretty lucky I live just minutes from Kevin's. Anyone see his rear tube bumper yet? Pretty nice piece. Ron (Krash80) picked one up when he was out here hanging with me.

Trancezj
03-18-2005, 01:19 PM

you got any close up pics of how it mounts to the body?
No I don't. It just mounts in the slots in the unibody. It also is supose to be bolted to the radiator support. I've never gotten around to doing that.

Krash80
03-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it cost so much to ship a bumper like that!!! I'm pretty lucky I live just minutes from Kevin's. Anyone see his rear tube bumper yet? Pretty nice piece. Ron (Krash80) picked one up when he was out here hanging with me.

There's pics of it on Kevin's website....go figure. :butthead: :mrgreen:

dasVettemeister
03-23-2005, 05:56 PM

There's pics of it on Kevin's website....go figure. :butthead: :mrgreen:

I bet you don't even have it on the jeep yet either. Homo. I should have just put it on my jeep while it was sitting there. Is the trash heap done yet? Bitch. :finga:

Texas ZJ1
04-15-2005, 09:15 PM
I bought the rear tube with tire carrier. I posted pics but you know how imagestation is.

Hunter

ZJbrandon
02-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Excellent, I was just looking for someone who has the rear tire carry version from ProtoFab/Kev's...

what's the general opinion? sturdy as hell? is the hinge and gate mechanism stout or seem like it will rattle around after awhile?

appreciate the info, because I am looking at getting it, (damn expensive, imo) but I have been very happy with the front bumper.