PDA

View Full Version : Steering causing body lean

ATL ZJ
02-21-2005, 01:26 AM
With the Jeep idling in park, when I turn the wheel to the left (driverside), the driver's side front corner lifts up, and the passenger side front corner. When I turn to the right (towards passenger side), the passenger side front corner of the Jeep is lifted up, and the driver's side corner drops. I'm running Kevin's 3 link front with a adjustable trackbar. For steering I have an inverted T setup with "1 ton" TREs. Is this just the nature of this particular steering setup? It's pretty severe. It's most noticable with the Jeep sitting still and turning the wheel, but it clearly occurs during normal driving as well.

I'm thinking it's a camber/ caster issue. I was thinking that my KOR truss is still bent (since the welds holding it to the cast on my d44 broke and it and bent up- see: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=825) therefore giving each side a different caster setting, since there is only one upper. But... I know Chase (Goingoffroading) has this same issue, and he's running radius arms on both sides. So if this is caused by caster, then that means his caster settings are not the same on each side. Anybody else have this, or know why it's happening?

AprilzWarrior
02-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Need pics !

ATL ZJ
02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/Jeep/zjsusp_0025.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/Jeep/zjsusp_0027.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/Jeep/zjsusp_0032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/atlzj/Jeep/zjsusp_0023.jpg

nathaniel
02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
With the Jeep idling in park, when I turn the wheel to the left (driverside), the driver's side front corner lifts up, and the passenger side front corner. When I turn to the right (towards passenger side), the passenger side front corner of the Jeep is lifted up, and the driver's side corner drops. I'm running Kevin's 3 link front with a adjustable trackbar. For steering I have an inverted T setup with "1 ton" TREs. Is this just the nature of this particular steering setup? It's pretty severe. It's most noticable with the Jeep sitting still and turning the wheel, but it clearly occurs during normal driving as well.

I'm thinking it's a camber/ caster issue. I was thinking that my KOR truss is still bent (since the welds holding it to the cast on my d44 broke and it and bent up- see: http://mallcrawlin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=825) therefore giving each side a different caster setting, since there is only one upper. But... I know Chase (Goingoffroading) has this same issue, and he's running radius arms on both sides. So if this is caused by caster, then that means his caster settings are not the same on each side. Anybody else have this, or know why it's happening?

What are you talking about? The draglink rotation? Front corner of what lifts up? Body of the jeep?

ATL ZJ
02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes, the corner (towards which I am turning the steering whee)l of the body of the Jeep lifts up. Normal?

LouisianaZJ
02-21-2005, 10:31 PM
id say its normal. the more you lift it the more noticable it is

it has to do with the track bar being loaded and unloaded laterally and arcing up and down

ATL ZJ
02-21-2005, 10:46 PM
Interesting. Kinda cool actually. I figured it had something to do with a certain geometrical property of the suspension.

I wonder... Anyone running a 4 link front with no trackbar on here? I guess that means that this doesn't happen on your rig. True? False?

cam

JpRngr
02-22-2005, 01:27 AM
On mine, when I had no TB, it would push or pull the body away or towards the axle when I steered. I obviously didn't have enough triangulation to avoid this and my steering really sucked. I think you're going to end up with some no matter what, unless you run full hydro.

Corey

ATL ZJ
02-22-2005, 02:13 AM
On mine, when I had no TB, it would push or pull the body away or towards the axle when I steered. I obviously didn't have enough triangulation to avoid this and my steering really sucked. I think you're going to end up with some no matter what, unless you run full hydro.

Corey

Interesting... I guess I would rather have it laterally than lurching forward and back. Now I have 2 more questions:

1. Is this the static form of bumpsteer (static meaning level ground, stopped)? Or another unrelated behavior of the trackbar?
2. Has anyone noticed this happening less after going to hydro assist?

Just curious... I don't really consider it a problem if it's normal.

Raacerx
02-27-2005, 09:43 PM

Corey

Interesting... I guess I would rather have it laterally than lurching forward and back. Now I have 2 more questions:

1. Is this the static form of bumpsteer (static meaning level ground, stopped)? Or another unrelated behavior of the trackbar?
2. Has anyone noticed this happening less after going to hydro assist?

Just curious... I don't really consider it a problem if it's normal.

I notice it more when your running a lot of caster, like the axle rotated back. When the knuckles cycles through its range of motion, its going somewhat up, which lifts the side. Mine does it but its unnoticeable with the Addco swaybar.

ATL ZJ
02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
OK, that's exactly what it is. The knuckles are at a very steep angle because I'm running a ton of caster to get rid of most of my DW.

Raacerx
02-28-2005, 12:48 AM
OK, that's exactly what it is. The knuckles are at a very steep angle because I'm running a ton of caster to get rid of most of my DW.

You have DW with the 44 front axle? Soon as I switched to the 44 Ive never even thought about DW again. Even when I had 0 degrees of caster and negative camber, 70-80mph on rough roads didnt phase it.

ATL ZJ
02-28-2005, 12:55 AM

You have DW with the 44 front axle? Soon as I switched to the 44 Ive never even thought about DW again. Even when I had 0 degrees of caster and negative camber, 70-80mph on rough roads didnt phase it.

Yeah, it can be pretty bad. Kevin sent me the wrong size bolts to start wit h (1/2" as opposed to the neccessary 9/16"), and I have a ton of bushing wear from the DW I had before and the fact that the axle side brackets on the lowers are turned at the wrong angle. And my trackbar bracket had worked its way loose as well. But I still have it somehow, even after correcting all that. I'm pretty sick of it- coming up on 3/4 of a year that I've had it lingering.

nathaniel
02-28-2005, 08:45 PM
What shocks are you running? Werent you running them the wrong way for awhile. Might want to try a nice stiff set of shocks.

ATL ZJ
03-01-2005, 01:20 AM
I'm just running the Procrap hydros, and yes I did have them upside down for a few days before I realized what I'd done. I had Edelbrocks up front for a while, and this was less pronounced, but I also had my caster set much differently (incorrectly) then. Maybe I can get my hands on a cheap pair of something gas charged.

Cam