PDA

View Full Version : LOCKER FUC*ED

97trxuszj
02-19-2005, 03:54 AM
is it possible that my lockright is broke or somthings wrong with it I installed it in my HP30 on my ZJ when I did the swap and with the 249 it acted up because is was trying to have torque going through the locker all the time so I did a 242 swap and it still didn't solve this problem I shift into 4lo and then go back into 2wd and its like its in 4lo, when I jack up the front end the tires rotate to let off the torque and then if I manually twist the yolk off the TC is spins freely WTF

Swamp boy
02-19-2005, 03:59 AM
They sell new spring packs for them... Maybe they are getting stuck..

Open it up and peep at it...

97trxuszj
02-19-2005, 04:12 AM
I was thinking of forking over the dough and buying an ARB I could make at least 125 off the lockright and then its only that much cheaper for the ARB lol we'll see I have the front shaft out now as this is my DD and I don't have any wheeling trips planned yet the rest of the month I'll do it in march maybe by then I'll have enough dough for the ARB, thanks for the fast comment Swamp boy, I did a nice burnout like you showed us all if your TC swap

MaineZJ
02-19-2005, 09:24 AM
how was it "acting up"

BMRisko
02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
is it possible that my lockright is broke or somthings wrong with it I installed it in my HP30 on my ZJ when I did the swap and with the 249 it acted up because is was trying to have torque going through the locker all the time so I did a 242 swap and it still didn't solve this problem I shift into 4lo and then go back into 2wd and its like its in 4lo, when I jack up the front end the tires rotate to let off the torque and then if I manually twist the yolk off the TC is spins freely WTF

Not really understanding what you are saying. Would you please try again, but slow down this time and use punctuation.

Jim311
02-19-2005, 11:05 AM

Not really understanding what you are saying. Would you please try again, but slow down this time and use punctuation.

LOL... I thought it was just me.

OverkillZJ
02-19-2005, 01:53 PM

LOL... I thought it was just me.

Not just you....

Infact, I could make so little sense of that rant, that this is off to newbie tech.

97trxuszj
02-19-2005, 02:51 PM
:evil: Are you guys that serious about puncuation? You can't read and understand a run on sentance ok here goes. My dana High Pinion Front diff has a lockright in it. I had problems with it acting up with my 249 Transfer case, so I swapped to a 242. Still the same problem occurs when I install my front driveshaft, and go into 4lo. When I go to shift back into 2wd it still acts like its in 4lo. I jack the front end up off the ground the wheels speen and unload the torque that was one them after being in 4lo. Then and only then will my driveshaft spin freeley back in 2wd. I goes into the 2wd spot on the shifter bezel but just doesn't dissengage up front, until I unload it. Was that better now can anyone help me, besides swampboy that seemed to read it fine????? :evil:

LouisianaZJ
02-19-2005, 02:55 PM
the driveshaft up front will never spin freely unless both front tires are off the ground

BMRisko
02-19-2005, 06:00 PM
:evil: Are you guys that serious about puncuation? You can't read and understand a run on sentance ok here goes. My dana High Pinion Front diff has a lockright in it. I had problems with it acting up with my 249 Transfer case, so I swapped to a 242. Still the same problem occurs when I install my front driveshaft, and go into 4lo. When I go to shift back into 2wd it still acts like its in 4lo. I jack the front end up off the ground the wheels speen and unload the torque that was one them after being in 4lo. Then and only then will my driveshaft spin freeley back in 2wd. I goes into the 2wd spot on the shifter bezel but just doesn't dissengage up front, until I unload it. Was that better now can anyone help me, besides swampboy that seemed to read it fine????? :evil:

Ofcourse its gonna act up with a 249. Yes, in 4 lo it will also be locked as also. Can you describe the problem? How does it act when driving? Still kind of hard to understand what problem you experiencing because what you described is typical of any locked front end with a 249 or in 4 lo.

97trxuszj
02-19-2005, 10:59 PM
ok what I described was with a 249 and now also with a 242. When its in 4 lo its shakes when turing like the locker is trying to engage and then disengage. when I turn a corner and let go of the wheel to let it start to correct itself it stays on that line and goes off to that side. this still happens when I shift into 2wd, its like its not disengaging just thinking its locked I dunno.

OverkillZJ
02-19-2005, 11:03 PM
I have a 231 with no locker in front 4wd, it will buck around turns.

2wd, I don't even know it's there.

You're either stuck in 4wd or your locker is stuck engaged. I don't know what to tell you except dissasemble and inspect.

MaineZJ
02-20-2005, 12:18 AM
if it was not unlocking, wouldn't it want to go straight?

robselina
02-20-2005, 12:39 AM
it'll still click and pop and stuff in 2wd and it'll also turn your front driveshaft if that's what you're asking. The lockright is basically 'engaged' in stock position. If there's no torque on the driveshaft, it can then ratchet and allow velocity differential between the wheels, but it needs to have traction from said wheels to do so since it need some differential force to make it ratchet through the gears. Based on what you're saying, I can't see anything wrong with it's operation but I'm not exactly clear on what your problem is either....

robselina
02-20-2005, 12:44 AM
When its in 4 lo its shakes when turing like the locker is trying to engage and then disengage. when I turn a corner and let go of the wheel to let it start to correct itself it stays on that line and goes off to that side. this still happens when I shift into 2wd.

Okay, first off, the locker would make you want to "plow" or go straight in turns. If you're not correcting to center, that's an alignment problem. Are you sure you set your caster right when you swapped in the D30HP?

Now as for it 'shaking'. If you're in 4wd and on a surface with high traction, you'll have a wheel hopping in the turn when the locker is engaged. On the street in 2wd, you shouldn't be hopping, but should still hear ratcheting and noises and the ocasional klunk through the floor.

Dunno, you could have fawked it up when you ran it with the 249 on the street. That's death for a front locker....

97trxuszj
02-20-2005, 04:49 AM
I only drove it to my house like 1 mile from where I did the swap so the 249 didn't fuck up the locker. I don't know its weird, my TC is in 2wd but the front locker isn't disengaging until the front wheels come off the ground when they do then I can drive it again in 2wd with the front shaft i don'tknow. Like I said I think its not disengaing

MaineZJ
02-20-2005, 09:29 AM
does it click when you go around corners?

97trxuszj
02-21-2005, 08:35 PM
no it never clicked when turning that i can hear. I only hear it click when I have the front end on a jack and turn the wheel forward a little then backwards, now both wheels don't spin together anymore I dunno?

robselina
02-21-2005, 09:09 PM
sounds like it sticks open or closed. I bet you have the springs in wrong or they're jamming

MaineZJ
02-21-2005, 09:51 PM
bet you put it in wrong

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-21-2005, 09:54 PM
bet you put it in wrong

i second that

BigDaveZJ
02-21-2005, 10:56 PM
So you're basing this entire thing on driving it for a whole mile??? Drive it some more, then come back.

robselina
02-22-2005, 01:32 AM
So you're basing this entire thing on driving it for a whole mile??? Drive it some more, then come back.

dave, sounds like he drove it for 1 mile with the 249, and has done more since the part time swap....

ggruszynski
02-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Sounds like you left one of the original shims out when you installed it. I did the same and it was locked 100%. After putting in the shims (paper thin), it was al good.

97trxuszj
02-22-2005, 03:19 PM
yea I drove it plenty with that front shaft in, about 300 miles round trip to the mountains, dealling with it shaking as I was turning and wanting to wander its own way when releasing the steering wheel comming out of a turn. I have had some miles on the 242 swap. I think it might be a little of what everyones saying springs need replacing, and that shim that ggruszynski was talking about, anyone know the best place to buy these so I can give that a try?

mawardjr
02-22-2005, 04:47 PM
So after the initial install - did you do the simple test that Powertrax has to make sure it is working properly? If so, did it lock and unlock as designed?

MaineZJ
02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
did you put in the thrust washers from the spiders?

OverkillZJ
02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
did you put in the thrust washers from the spiders?

I was wondering that. No slips SHOULDN'T have them, their other product SHOULD

ggruszynski
02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Thrust washers/ shims... same difference! You should have had the thrust washers in all the crud you took out.

OverkillZJ
02-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Thrust washers/ shims... same difference! You should have had the thrust washers in all the crud you took out.

Except that the correct name is thrust washers :finga:

97trxuszj
02-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I was fucking with my TC and driveshaft today and I got it to shift into 2wd. We had to shorten my linkage, and now it goes into 2wd, but when i turn a corner it sounds like my tires are rubbing on my lower control arms, but they arn't I think its my u-joints in the axle shafts! what do you guys think??/

MaineZJ
02-24-2005, 09:54 AM
well, drive it to Maine - so I can actually see/hear it, then I'll tell ya

97trxuszj
02-24-2005, 05:22 PM
LOl, I figured out what it was after my TC was fixed, I was tightening all my suspension bolts and it was my lower front control arm bolt. was loose so I just replaced it with another one sence it was pretty beat. Thanks for all the help guys