PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Sizes for XJ Bushing barrels/endrings?

JeepinHank
02-16-2005, 02:25 PM
I've seen this before, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I need to come up with some endrings (or barrels - whatever you want to call them) for the rubber bushings I'm using for my longarm setup. I'm using the small and large Rubicon Express replacement rubber busings, which are supposed to be the same as OE XJ bushings

I had taken the stuff over to a local machine shop, and the guy said he couldn't get the tubing I'd need. He offered to machine them out of solid stock, but that was going to cost like $20/each for the large ones and $15/each for the small ones. That's $125 for my endrings. Hell, I could buy some of the daystar poly bushing assemblies (with endrings) for another $25.

I know I can measure the crap, but I've been having bad luck with my measurements lately.

Any help ya'll could provide would be appreciated.

Hank

JeepinHank
02-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Found a source for the lower control arm bushings:

RockLogic 4x4:
RockLogic 4x4 Catalog Page (http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/index.php?action=item&id=102&prevaction=category&p revid=7&prevstart=0)

Still haven't found anything for the UCA bushings...

nate
02-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Did you forget to get them from Ty? I was pretty sure he was making them??

Kraqa
02-16-2005, 03:55 PM
i don't mean to change your plans but why not just get the urethane bushings from polyperformance? ther elike $12 and you can cut them to the width you need. and if the case is to small you can sleeve then real easy.

i looked into the XJ buishings but the bushings were 20$ cdn each and the "barrels" fo them were another 15$US plus shipping.

thats what i used on my first design. but my current setup are a custom 3 peice urethane bushing

Pearce
02-16-2005, 07:37 PM
I have heard people say those bushings were like $15, but that was west coast. Autozone has them for $6.99 on the web site. So I cant figure that one out. And I recall paying around that in store. I also got my sleeves from Rock Logic. I think they had two wall thickness types and they fit great.

JeepinHank
02-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Did you forget to get them from Ty? I was pretty sure he was making them??

They didn't come with my initial shipment.

I told him I wanted him to call me before I order anything else or send him any more $. He said he'd call, but I still haven't heard from him, so I'm going to let that sleeping dog lie.

JeepinHank
02-17-2005, 11:35 AM
i don't mean to change your plans but why not just get the urethane bushings from polyperformance? ther elike $12 and you can cut them to the width you need. and if the case is to small you can sleeve then real easy.

i looked into the XJ buishings but the bushings were 20$ cdn each and the "barrels" fo them were another 15$US plus shipping.

thats what i used on my first design. but my current setup are a custom 3 peice urethane bushing

I would, but I've already got these rubber bushings in hand. I don't really like the idea of just buying stuff to sit it on a shelf and forget about it. These endrings are the last items I need to take care of before I can get going on this build up.

I ordered the large LCA bushing endrings from RockLogic.

I think I'm going to go pick up some sch 40 to match the OD of the smaller UCA bushings and go to town with a die grinder until I get a good pressed fit.

JH

ATL ZJ
02-17-2005, 12:01 PM
I was wondering where those sleeves could be obtained. Now I know. :D Are y'all using true presses to get the bushings into the sleeves or will a beefy bench vise do the job?

Now for the official thread hijack:
I am looking into eventually making Kevin's arms adjustable... Does anyone make threaded inserts for square tube? I can't find any. TIA if anyone knows.

JeepinHank
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
I was wondering where those sleeves could be obtained. Now I know. :D Are y'all using true presses to get the bushings into the sleeves or will a beefy bench vise do the job?

I am looking into eventually making Kevin's arms adjustable... Does anyone make threaded inserts for square tube? I can't find any. TIA if anyone knows.

I'm just using round tubing inserts.... That's what Ty was using on his control arms, and I believe most other folks are going that route. The only person that I know for a fact used a square insert is Tim - and he machined them himself.

HTH

Pearce
02-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Use the ZJ's stock jack and a couple pieces of wood. Then put it all up under the center of the front axle and you have a ZJ Press. Used a little grease and slipped right into place. I wasn't working on the ZJ at the time, that was for the YJ. As for threaded inserts, you could use coupler nuts. Search around for the right size to fit snuggly into the tube. I can show you what I did on the YJ with that if you want.

ATL ZJ
02-17-2005, 02:04 PM
The only person that I know for a fact used a square insert is Tim - and he machined them himself.

HTH

Ha, I believe that. He put a ton of hours into his original setup...

Use the ZJ's stock jack and a couple pieces of wood. Then put it all up under the center of the front axle and you have a ZJ Press. Used a little grease and slipped right into place. I wasn't working on the ZJ at the time, that was for the YJ. As for threaded inserts, you could use coupler nuts. Search around for the right size to fit snuggly into the tube. I can show you what I did on the YJ with that if you want.

Those are 2 of the best ideas ever. Guess that solves my problem. But yes, I'd love to take a look at what you did on the YJ and get a better idea next time I see ya.

Cam

nmzj
02-18-2005, 10:05 AM

A ball joint press works well...

Jason

Krash80
02-19-2005, 04:32 AM
If the XJ bushings are like the ZJ bushings, you're not going to find a pipe/tube that's perfect for that because the outside of the bushing housing is stepped (as in it's got 2 different diameters). I used 2 3/4" diameter tubing w/ 3/8" wall, and machined the inside of each one out to match the step in the bushings. I made the ID of the "endrings" a little smaller than the OD of the bushings, and then froze the bushings and then pressed them together after the endrings were nice at hot right after welding so i had a really tight interference fit (that's also next to impossible to take apart at a later date without a torch).

=Ron=

ALWJ
02-21-2005, 11:37 PM
cool thanks... I've been looking for those big ones all over, one of mine is bent. I need to change the bushing and I wasn't about to try and jam a new one in there with the sleeve all bent out of shape. For UCA mounts on my front end I cannibalized my old upper control arms. Maybe you could work that out somehow instead of using the grinder for the small bushings?

JeepinHank
02-22-2005, 01:49 PM
cool thanks... I've been looking for those big ones all over, one of mine is bent. I need to change the bushing and I wasn't about to try and jam a new one in there with the sleeve all bent out of shape. For UCA mounts on my front end I cannibalized my old upper control arms. Maybe you could work that out somehow instead of using the grinder for the small bushings?

Did you have aftermarket UCAs? I don't, so that's why I'm asking. I don't really see how I could do it with the stock UCAs.