PDA

View Full Version : Dodge misses the mark once again

ZJZJ
02-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Ok, so I was all excited that Dodge was coming out with the new Mega Cab. Having just bought a '04 Quad cab, I was seriously interested in trading up. But, now I find out that they will only offer this as a 6' short bed. So no full size extended cab with a real 8 foot bed behind it. Unfortunately my 3500 is my DD and tow rig all in one. With a 2.5 year old in a car seat, the quad cab just isn't big enough. He is constantly kicking me thru the seat. Guess I just wait till they finally come out with the 4500 and 5500 in a couple years. Hopefully by then they will have a real truck transmission to match the Cummins.

Discuss...

deadman
02-15-2005, 05:04 AM
As far as I know they took the frame from the long bed, put a short bed on it and the megacab. They would need to build a new frame for a megacab/longbed version. I don't think thats going to happen unless the sales are bad and people say they would buy if it would've a long bed.

But... Do you really need a long bed?

------------

Is the megacab available as dually?

Pearce
02-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Here is a bunch of info on it:
http://www.mrtruck.net/06dodgemega.htm

Its already built on the long bed frame. Not sure I'd want something even longer than that.

ZJZJ
02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
As far as I know they took the frame from the long bed, put a short bed on it and the megacab. They would need to build a new frame for a megacab/longbed version. I don't think thats going to happen unless the sales are bad and people say they would buy if it would've a long bed.

But... Do you really need a long bed?

------------

Is the megacab available as dually?

No, it will only be available as a single rear wheel. (SRW)

Do I need the long bed? Actually yes. I dropped about $1400 into a truck cap that I would like to keep using if possible. Also as an auctioneer, I need to be able to haul a lot of stuff all the time. Some of it is pretty bulky and fills the 8' bed. I have looked at hotshotting travel trailers on the side as well. They all require 8' beds to keep from damaging the trailers on tight turns. I guess if I am spending $40k+ on a truck, it should be a whole truck. It's nice to throw a stack of 2x4's in the bed and be able to close the tailgate instead of strapping them down so they don't slide out. I would be thrilled to death with my truck if it just had about 8" more leg room in the back seat. Of course I should have bought the dually and the 6-speed, but I never throught I would be towing as much as I have been.

JOE
03-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Brad stop your complaining! :weedman: :smt003

Jim311
04-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Wish I could even afford to THINK about buying a 2005 diesel longbed truck.

I'm still thinking about buying a diesel truck for DD duty, but I'd prefer something with a short bed for easier daily driving personally.

rob92xj
09-10-2005, 10:03 PM
there will be a long bed option later in production, the 06 models will all be IFS front ends in everything 1500 up and including the 3500 and YES there will be a Dually option after the long bed comes out

deadman
09-11-2005, 04:48 AM
Just great... we get dually and longbed... AND IFS! :poke:

nate
09-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Mega Cab.. haha... It's a mini van with a truck box if you ask me.

Kraqa
09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
i DD a doge 2500 short box x-cab. and MAN i coudl not imagin trying to park anythign longer. not that i cant' do it, its just way to freekin long . i liek being able to pull into a parkign spot in one fluid motion. and NOT having to back up.

rob92xj
09-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Just great... we get dually and longbed... AND IFS! :poke:
or you could wait for the 4500 and 5500's to come out.
the switch to IFS is due to the wrong people buying trucks and Jeeps for the wrong reasons and complaining about ride quality or crash worthyness. :gayflag: They say the IFS is more predictable in a crash than a solid front axle. In my opinon who cares its a truck and suposed to ride like a truck. :smt078

nate
09-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I agree. I have the same as my daily driver. 98 24v. We have a F350 6 man cab long bed at work... It's like driving a school bus, and worse still is when the snow plow is on the front of it. Literally need half an acre to turn.

i DD a doge 2500 short box x-cab. and MAN i coudl not imagin trying to park anythign longer. not that i cant' do it, its just way to freekin long . i liek being able to pull into a parkign spot in one fluid motion. and NOT having to back up.

ptownTSI
10-13-2005, 03:13 AM
dodge does have a real truck tranny, its called the NV5500. the thing is a beast. weigh's like 400+ lbs. 6 speed manual. it goes behind the diesel.

rob92xj
10-14-2005, 06:25 PM
As beefy as the NV5500 is the G56 is more beefed up. It's the transmission that Mercedes puts into the current Uni-Mog's and now the Dodges with the heavy duty drivetrains. The best part is it is designed to be field stripped the only special tools required to replace sycros is a few wire ties.

Alaska ZJ
02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Dodge sucks....that is all.