PDA

View Full Version : some fun fuel problems....

robselina
02-13-2005, 11:55 AM
..at least I think they're fuel problems.

About a month ago the jeep started acting up and basically after it had been driven a bit in the morning, if you hit the gas, the vehicle would have intermittent power. It would be on the gas for 1 second, then the engine would cut out for one second, then back on for 1 second. It was like clockwork, it had a very defined frequency.

It did this at all speeds and all loads once it started.

Anyway, we replaced the fuel pump and the coil. Also did the fuel filter and cleaned the screen and pickup since they were pretty filthy. There weren't any codes on the engine and all the sensors behaved according to the diagnostics computer (had my mechanic check them)

Well, it acted fine for a couple of days and then it started doing it again. It's also developed a new trick - when you get below 1/8 of a tank the engine will cut out in turns.

I guess the replacement fuel pump could also be bad, but I'm just shooting in the dark here and replacing parts at random starts getting pretty expensive.

Any ideas?

Oh yea. Vehicle is a 95 5.2L with 170k on the clock. Replaced AIC, TPS, O2 and a few other things within the last 12 months....

robselina
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
nobody?

OverkillZJ
02-18-2005, 07:59 PM
You already did everythign I'd think of...

Fuel injectors? I got nothin!

LouisianaZJ
02-18-2005, 08:02 PM
try a new fuel pump relay. at least it would be a cheap try

OverkillZJ
02-18-2005, 08:08 PM
try a new fuel pump relay. at least it would be a cheap try

Definately, forgot about that lil' bastard

robselina
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
that's a thought, I'll replace the relay this weekend.

thanks,
rob

robselina
02-18-2005, 08:31 PM
is there some sort of pressure regulator or is that controled by the pump?

LouisianaZJ
02-18-2005, 09:34 PM
i think the press regulator is in the pump, but that might change from year to year

Hurricane 4x4
02-18-2005, 11:20 PM
pump relay was a good suggestion

I have heard of this being a problem

TrojanMan
02-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Hmm.. was that one of the years that had problems with the gas tank lining peeling off and clogging the system?

I'd look into that, there was a thread about that in JU.

JeepinHank
02-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Bad fuel? Water or trash in the tank?

That would possibly point to what you're describing about the engine cutting out going around curves with less than an eighth of a tank.

Maybe try draining everything out of the tank and refilling it?

robselina
02-20-2005, 12:27 AM
well, on my way to the parts store it started acting up. I replaced the fuel pump relay in the parking lot and it acted fine after that :D Let it get down to 1/8th of a tank too and it was still fine.

I think the fuel pump relay may have been the problem all along. Thanks guys. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope the problem doesn't come back!

robselina
02-21-2005, 12:13 PM
nevermind, started up again. :?

the fun just never ends....

robselina
04-03-2005, 06:55 PM
thought I'd post up what seems to be the conclusion to this one. The motor mounts were shot and after replacing them, I've got the tank totally down to empty w/o any issues. I think I finally solved this one....