PDA

View Full Version : Hobart 180?

ATL ZJ
02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I need a welder. I need it to be able to at least weld 1/4 steel in a single pass. I'm a college student so money's always tight. I'm looking at the Hobart 180. It seems to fit most of the specs I want.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 920503000

I found it on CyberWeld.com also for $40 less, but I think I want to get it from Sears and take advantage of their 2 year 0% interest deal so I can have it all spring, rather than wait til I have the money in the summer. I know, buying on credit is not the smartest thing, but I know for a fact that I will have the funds coming in this summer, so that is not a concern.

Anyone using this machine? I know Miller and Lincoln are better quality-wise, but I figure by the time I wear the parts out, I'll have a real job and can just swap the good Miller stuff in, since it's all compatible.

Nordic1
02-12-2005, 01:34 AM
I bought my welder on sears credit... they opened me up on a 1400 dollar credit and I'm doing the same 2 year 0% program... although I've already paid the welder off and continue to buy other tools, the sears credit program worked well for me. I might be getting a used Miller 210 or 250 from a buddie however if I don't I'll be going to a hobart 180 (most likely) or a lincoln 175 or Hobart 210 from sears.com.

OverkillZJ
02-12-2005, 04:31 AM
Hobart 180 IS Miller 180 (built by Miller.) Even the gun says miller. And the regulator.

Differences: Hobart has plastic rollers as opposed to metal, and has a cheaper transformer of some form. But... Miller parts fir the Hobarts as replacements.

nate
02-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Not bad. I can get it for $500, though I've never seen one at the store... I love working at Sears :D

Jim311
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
500 bucks is a damn good deal 8)

I'm using a Lincoln 135, but the Hobart 180s are some of the most popular welders out there. Tons of guys on POR are using them and they come highly recommended. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right. Although I prefer Lincoln :)

msvance
02-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I use a hobart 175 that i got a year or two back. I have had no issues at all. Works like a champ. As mentioned, it is a miller with a few cost savers. another difference is the speed/amp adjustments are more fixed, IIRC, which some prefer and some don't. I weld 1/4 plate no problem Also, I got mine at a local weld shop for 425-450. It was a referbished unit but carried the full warranty. Getting it through them, they also gave me a "package" deal w/ tank, reg, etc. However, if you're financing, might as well go through sears and the 0% deal.

enjoy.

robselina
02-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I've seen pretty substantial differences between hobarts and millers when it comes to actually using them. I'm very happy I went with a miller.

BTW, I got my millermatic 175 for $625 locally. It sounds like it's well within your price range if you can get a reasonable deal on it, so shop around and get the miller. They're ridiculously under-rated.

miller > hobart

OverkillZJ
02-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I've seen pretty substantial differences between hobarts and millers when it comes to actually using them. I'm very happy I went with a miller.

miller > hobart

Back it up, give us shity hobart stories!

ATL ZJ
02-14-2005, 01:25 PM
miller > hobart

That's obvious. The price does more than imply that.

I'd like to snag a Miller 175 for that price, but I'd like to be able to get this thing as early as possible, and the Sears deal looks like the only way I could do that.

FinlayZJ
02-16-2005, 01:45 PM
You got a 220V outlet to run that thing, or are you going to wire one up? Also, hurry up and buy this so I can learn how to weld and make stuff for my noobicon.

When are you getting it?