PDA

View Full Version : 4-link suspension for the masses (RockKrawler Revisited)

OverkillZJ
02-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I know it’s been discussed time after time on other forums, but we’ve yet to have the Rock Krawler suspension on this site yet.

Someone IMed me last night, all excited that they were ordering a 4 linked long arm suspension from Rock Krawler. I coughed a little and suggested he did some research into the matter, but he’s completely sold on this “new” Rock Krawler. I don’t understand why people insist on a product with a company who has such a terrible track record when there’s other options out there that, well, DON’T SUCK.

Specifically, their new “ZJ 7.0" X Factor Long Arm System” is what scares me the most. Details can be found here: http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/catalog/index.php?r_itemID=54\
What scares me about it? Look at the rear bracketry: http://www.bigassjeep.com/pics/suspensions/zj_rear_triangulated_4link_web.jpg

They claim it has anti squat properties, but I fail to see how. It looks like your every day 4 link to me, using their krawler joints which I’m not even going to get into a discussion on here.
What do you think about that bolt in bracketry? I sure as hell hope they’re expecting people to weld it in, but even when welded, I don’t think there’s enough surface area to distribute that load across that load along that thing frame rail.

What do you guys think, does this suck, or is my previous view on Rock Krawler getting in the way of my judgement?

I'm under the impression that this is the "shiny retail box" of long arms, for those that don't know any better.

gearhead313
02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
looks like my sister engineered that up. garbage.

AprilzWarrior
02-10-2005, 11:21 AM
For those that have a 44A, are they going to weld it ? I think not. Ask anestech* about his crappy kit...

AW

POSJEEP
02-10-2005, 11:25 AM
that doesnt look very strong to me!!!!!!
am i wrong or just two boltz per side on the frame rails??
maybe for on road use but at high speed that scares me as well.
but hey im just bitch i need everything over engineered........
that set up might work nice on a golf cart though...........
http://www.bulletproofbeds.com/ROSY/2004_BlackClubCarGas_Ebay3.jpg

ggruszynski
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
So those lowers are being held on by 2 bolts? I know they have a lot of holding power, but that is scary and I'd sure want a little more of the frame to distribute the forces over. At least they aren't using the stock mounts anymore... this is better than that, but not by much. How bad are their Krawler joints? I know it seems like I've heard them wearing real fast.

OverkillZJ
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
For those that have a 44A, are they going to weld it ? I think not. Ask anestech* about his crappy kit...

AW

I was talking about welding the bolted brackets to the frame rail, but I never even thought about welding that rear truss to an AL44. Ya, not gonna happen!

POSJEEP
02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
look at the lower controll arm mounts on the axel.......
looks like they are going to get bashed up very nicely. at least with the stock control arm the bushing seems to stop them from bending in. out is another story.
noisy on road with those joints as well.
your right even welded i like the front and rear linked, a much stronger way to go.
add some angle iron down the rail..... it will still be a piece though.
I just looked at the prices.......... rip off....................

Pearce
02-10-2005, 01:17 PM
There is no reason at all to have heims at both ends of the LCA. That alone is terrible. How hard would it have been to put a rubber XJ bushing at the axle end. I sure hope a jamb nut doesnt come loose and the arm start rotating......
I've seen that happen on the trail to a homebrew style like that. It didnt last very long.
Just my opinion though.

forexfour
02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I dont get how people come to decide on something so major and just from the look you can tell it is questionable. Then the others who just by on best price not thinging about the quality of the item.

I dont know much about these setups but Jerod helped me understand the importance of the Long Arms and this setup looks to be worse than a short arm setup and riding the unibody frame.

nate
02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
That setup looks scary IMO. I know a guy that put on on his ZJ, AK ZJ helped him out I think. I know it needed a good amount of bracing and extra fab work to make it halfway decent.

chadjans
02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
The upper side frame heim is a wierd phase although it is in a similar clock to what we are seeing on buggys. I don't know enough about that design quality yet.

Mouting arms in front of the axle tubes is overrated. Stock locations are fine. Leaves a skid for the drive shaft.

The truss isn't welded to the housing which is the only aluminum piece on the 44a. It is welded to the tubes.

Bolt on arm mounts. Yeah uh no. The frame rails are super thin. And they aren't even using grade 8. No thanks.

Solid arms are not as strong as a hollow. Never have gotten the reason why RK continues to use solid.

Why would one run the size tire needed to fill the wheel well with the amount of lift in their springs on a 35c? So why go after that breakage prone market?

Their joints....

Chad

MaineZJ
02-10-2005, 03:13 PM
it has some merrit, but as said, the design is weak. for something like that to work, at a minimum, there should be sleeves welded into the rails.

RufftyTuffty
02-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Hands up everyone who's ripped a RK bracket off the frame.... :?:

~Mike

Tommy
02-10-2005, 04:17 PM
There is no reason at all to have heims at both ends of the LCA. That alone is terrible. How hard would it have been to put a rubber XJ bushing at the axle end. I sure hope a jamb nut doesnt come loose and the arm start rotating......
I've seen that happen on the trail to a homebrew style like that. It didnt last very long.
Just my opinion though.

Can you tell me why it is so bad to use heims on both end's of the CA's? Besides a harsher ride. All of my shit is 1.25 heims for all 8 of my CA's. I have seen a ton of people set up this way on pirate..

MaineZJ
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM
there isn't anything wrong with heims. I think the problem is using the stock LCA mounts to mount them.

If I had a spare $2k to drop in my jeep, I bet I could tear them off in the first ride out

Tommy
02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
I know that the are using the bolts to pinch the new brackets on the frame rails, but does anybody else see the gap between the brackets and the out side of the fram rails. Or is is just the picture. They dont look as though they fit really tight. And why is there only one bolt on the drivers side?

OverkillZJ
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
So it isn't just me pointing and saying "Wow, another shity RK product!"

;)

AprilzWarrior
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Just to clear things up, RK does not use Heims, they use there own RK Joints... THAT SUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They clunk with under 500miles.

AW

BMRisko
02-10-2005, 11:04 PM
it has some merrit, but as said, the design is weak. for something like that to work, at a minimum, there should be sleeves welded into the rails.

Good luck welding sleeves INTO the unibody rails.

BMRisko
02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
there isn't anything wrong with heims. I think the problem is using the stock LCA mounts to mount them.

If I had a spare $2k to drop in my jeep, I bet I could tear them off in the first ride out

Whats wrong with the stock LCA mounts? I've never heard of anyone ripping one of those off. They actually make a nice skid and help protect the rear pinion.

Kraqa
02-11-2005, 01:22 AM
i have

BMRisko
02-11-2005, 01:26 AM
i have

you don't count

:twisted:

BigDaveZJ
02-11-2005, 01:36 AM
i have

you don't count

Do I count???

BMRisko
02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
i have

you don't count

Do I count???

How come I've never heard of anyone ripping rear LCA tabs off? Uppers, yes and front lowers, but never rear lowers. Oh well, I don't think re-using those tabs is what makes that kit a bad option.

Pearce
02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Just my opinion though.

Can you tell me why it is so bad to use heims on both end's of the CA's? Besides a harsher ride. All of my shit is 1.25 heims for all 8 of my CA's. I have seen a ton of people set up this way on pirate..

I didnt say it was so bad. I gave a reason why in my post as well. Now lets look at this another way. How many people are buying the RK kit for like a buggy ZJ or for mostly wheeling. And how many people are going to buy it and drive on the street with it 90% of the time. It would not have been that hard to do rubber, it would have cost less, and you dont gain anthing extra with a heim on both sides. Not to mention that just seems weak given the current braket set-up of a ZJ axle.
Like I said, just my opinion. I think there is nothing wrong with your set up. But you made it yourself. Not a company trying to sell to the masses.

cherokeekid
02-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Hands up everyone who's ripped a RK bracket off the frame.... :?:

~Mike

Me! and almost 100% street use...course a tweaked 5.9 on 35" with my wife racing vipers light to light is probably a tad hard on the rear mounts :shock:

Tommy
02-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Just my opinion though.

I didnt say it was so bad. I gave a reason why in my post as well. Now lets look at this another way. How many people are buying the RK kit for like a buggy ZJ or for mostly wheeling. And how many people are going to buy it and drive on the street with it 90% of the time. It would not have been that hard to do rubber, it would have cost less, and you dont gain anthing extra with a heim on both sides. Not to mention that just seems weak given the current braket set-up of a ZJ axle.
Like I said, just my opinion. I think there is nothing wrong with your set up. But you made it yourself. Not a company trying to sell to the masses.

i apologize, i may have read it a little out of context. i see where yopu are coming from.

Cody
02-12-2005, 11:43 PM
there is a front axle from a ZJ sitting on the floor of a local shop. The entire drivers side bracket assembly--spring pad and all--ripped off the axle. Why would they not use the factory UCA mounts that are cast into the housing? Is that the old design or the new? or both?

Yeah, RK sucks. It seemed like they were trying to make good on things but it doesn't look like they have really improved much.

Cody

Kraqa
02-13-2005, 07:06 AM
they get a A for effort but rhe whole design sucks ass. using the sopck controll arm brakets and still the RK rod ends. there crap i'v herd nothign but shit about them a few guys blowing that shit on the street. and the 4 link rear end with the upper arms the brakets dont' even leave the rear reod ends in the direction of the arms. there already flex'ed at rest. anyways drun kpost i'm hammered.

BMRisko
02-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Clayton's kit uses the stock LCA brackets as well. However, he offers an axle bracket kit if you are swapping kits. Someone point out a kit to me that includes new LCA axle brackets for someone keeping a stock axle. Who gives a fuck if they use the stock brackets. What bolt on lift kit doesn't??? If the concern is that big, just weld a piece of plate between the stock brackets or some triangular gussets to the axle to reinforce it.

OverkillZJ
02-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Ya, using the stock brackets is the least of my concerns (with the exception of 4 linked uppers, I think that's just ghetto...)

James
07-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I know this is an old post, but i just saw it.

there is a front axle from a ZJ sitting on the floor of a local shop. The entire drivers side bracket assembly--spring pad and all--ripped off the axle. Why would they not use the factory UCA mounts that are cast into the housing? Is that the old design or the new? or both?

Yeah, RK sucks. It seemed like they were trying to make good on things but it doesn't look like they have really improved much.

Cody

I'm pretty sure Cody saw this at the local shop i took my axle too.....This is my axle!! :finga: yeah, that was a great design....wish I had pics. Broke on the freeway doin 80+ MPH....SCARY.....It's much better now though.....

LouisianaZJ
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
claytons > *.*

/thread