PDA

View Full Version : ARB compressor/air tank rebuild

PassRunnerZJ
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Last month (January) I fired up, or at least tried to fire up my ARB air pump and it ran for a few seconds then slowly died out. Well, it is about 10 years old and I purchased it used on eBay. So I tested the voltage back to the pump and it was 12 volts on the meter. Hmm, pump must be dead. I removed the pump and tested it directly on the batter and it did start up, but with some reservations. Must be worn out I thought, so I took it apart to see what happend. Remove the four screws that are holding the plate on below the piston for access to the workings.

Pictures here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2130987050

It looked like it had a major breakdown and there was a nick and some gauling in the cylinder wall. So I cleaned the junk out, wiped all the connection points down, cleaned up the cylinder wall nick, gaul, and lubed it up with TriFlow. Reassembled it using some gasket goo on the cover plate, let it dry, test ran it, and it worked great. Atleast that was until I reinstalled it and it didn't work. I found that the inline fuse connection by the battery had corroded. Fixed the corrosion and the pump works great. The air tank is another story for another thread.