PDA

View Full Version : front drive shaft question

bigrubbers4x4
02-08-2005, 02:41 PM
i have a 98 grand 5.9 with the cv style drive shaft in the front. i would like to replace it with a u-joint style drive shaft. does anybody know which year specific i would need. i have a 94 grand also with a u-joint style drive shaft, that i switched the yolks and tried to bolt up the 94's drive shaft to the 98 and it would not fit into the space, even when fully compressed. is there something about the newer grands vs. the older grands that was different to make this driveshaft not fit? would the driveshaft from a cherokee work?

OverkillZJ
02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
The 94 you pulled the shaft from may have had a different tcase causing it to be a different length yoke to yoke.

I think you're best bet would be getting under there with measuring tape then going shopping!

bigrubbers4x4
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
negative ghost rider, both t-cases are the same 249. i was just as confused.

chadjans
02-08-2005, 03:29 PM
You need a new yoke on the front axle. To accept the ujoint. The slips in the shafts are long enough from tcase to tcase. Although tranny length is going to make a difference for shaft length.

Chad

Swamp boy
02-08-2005, 04:22 PM
We did the same thing recently to a ZJ.. Older U jointed Drive shaft was to long even after changing the CV yoke to a U joint joke..

I personally am running an XJ shaft.. Maybe you could check length on one of those...

Carl

Jeepinparrothead
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I went to a yard and asked for a ZJ front u-jointed drive shaft and they handed me the shaft and the yoke. He threw the yoke in free, and it bolted right up. That is all I know.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-08-2005, 04:53 PM
93-95's use long pinons while 96-98's use the shorter pinion

robselina
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
look up a local driveshaft place. They'll shorten the shaft you already have and balance it for around $70 typically....that would be the easiest route...

bigrubbers4x4
02-09-2005, 01:48 AM
i have had this issue fixed on my 98 since i got it, but my buddy wants to do it as well to his 5.9, and i cant remember what year the driveshaft i got came off of. all i know is after changing the yolk from my 94 to the 98 the 94's driveshaft still didnt fit. (i knew that a yolk from the cv style wouldnt work with a u-joint style) so i went to the local scrap yard with the measurements of what i needed and they brought out about 6 different ones till i found the one i needed, with the yolk. they didnt tell me what year it came off of or anything they just rang me up and i was on my way out the door, i told him this, but he was just wondering if anybody on here would know the answer off hand. i told him if anybody would know that answer off hand, the guys on this site would.

thanks carl i was wondering if on off an xj would work myelf.

thanks puma, i didnt know that about the pinions.

i told him to go to the same scrap yard i went to, but its a long drive to get there, but they are very helpful.

ATL ZJ
04-23-2005, 05:50 PM
damn....my driveshaft is so fucked up. jeeps are starting to piss me off. i think i am going to sell this peice of shit. jeeps are so unpractical in Atlanta.

Go to Driveline Service of Atlanta on Buford Hwy or get a whole new driveshaft from Pullapart (also on Buford Hwy) for $20. Option 1 requires money. Option 2 requires time. I would suggest picking the option that requires the resource you have more of.

Krash80
04-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Y-O-K-E

If a '94 has a long pinion D30 and a '98 has a short pinion, then why would a d/s from a '94, which should be shorter, not fit on a '98 when fully compressed?...doesn't make sense. Different tranny's different lengths maybe???

What are the compressed and extended lengths of each driveshaft, measured yoke to yoke? Put that info up and we can compare yours to what we've all got in different year models.

-Ron-

Swamp boy
04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
GOod Idea..

One for you..:drinkers: