PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Brakes

MaineZJ
02-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I've never owned a vehicle with 4wheel disc brakes....

Can probably get a 8.8 with 3.73s (gears I got now) and drums for $50 - $75
"might" be able to get a 8.8 w/ 3.73s or 4.10s and disc for $200

is having discs in the rear worth the $$? Could always add lincoln rotors and caddy calipers (?) to the drum one later...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
discs are so much easier to work with i'd pay the extra $.

ATL ZJ
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Get the discs. I'm running an 8.8 out back with Ford disc brakes and calipers, and a Waggy 44 with bigger than stock discs up front. It'll stop 35s better than the stock brakes (with drums in the rear) would stop little 30-31" tires.

There are no modifications to the brake system other than scrapping ABS, and getting discs at all corners. I can't imagine what it's gonna do with an upgraded master cylinder and power brake booster.

Jim311
02-08-2005, 02:12 PM
If you think there's ever a chance that you'll break a shaft, go with discs. Those calipers will hold your shafts in. I don't think you can go wrong with discs. I don't see any reason to run drums unless you get a drum setup for super cheap. From what I understand it's also pretty easy to convert them to discs as well.

Swamp boy
02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Every old cop car in the Junk yard has an 8.8 with disks.. Its very easy to convert the drum axle over..

Either way is good... YOu will love the disks... I can lock up my 35's if I stomp the brake.. Pretty impressive...

But your days of powerbraking are over... :lol:

old picture....:)
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase/spin.jpg

black_zj
02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
what do you do when swapping out things in regards to the ABS, do you just pull the ABS fuse so it doesn't try to send a signal anymore?

chadjans
02-08-2005, 03:24 PM
what do you do when swapping out things in regards to the ABS, do you just pull the ABS fuse so it doesn't try to send a signal anymore?

The system is disabled when there is a fault in it.

chadjans
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
There are no modifications to the brake system other than scrapping ABS, and getting discs at all corners.

Wrong.

You need to remove the o ring on the prop valve in the line distribution block. If you go from a drum brake setup to disk. If you 35c has disk then nothing is needed. Going from a disk to drum would be a step backwards.

Chad

nate
02-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Once you cut the wires for the ABS sensors, it no longer works.

Swamp boy
02-08-2005, 04:24 PM
Pulling the ABS fuse and Relay under the hood will get the light off the dash...

ATL ZJ
02-08-2005, 07:16 PM
There are no modifications to the brake system other than scrapping ABS, and getting discs at all corners.

Wrong.

You need to remove the o ring on the prop valve in the line distribution block. If you go from a drum brake setup to disk. If you 35c has disk then nothing is needed. Going from a disk to drum would be a step backwards.

Chad

No, you're wrong. I was talking about on MY ZJ, not yours or anyone else's. Not what is ideal. I did not do that, and it works fine. Thanks.

I am going to rip all the ABS bullshit out eventually and do that, but for now I have no issues.

Jim311
02-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Every old cop car in the Junk yard has an 8.8 with disks.. Its very easy to convert the drum axle over..

Either way is good... YOu will love the disks... I can lock up my 35's if I stomp the brake.. Pretty impressive...

But your days of powerbraking are over... :lol:

old picture....:)
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase/spin.jpg

You have to be careful what you get the axle out of. I was under the impression that the cop car ones were 28 spline, which is NOT the one you want! Gotta make sure to get the 31 splined version, which to my knowledge only comes in the later Exploders? Either way, the 28 spline is still pretty strong. A friend of mine ran his 8.8 lincoln locked with 36s and his was the 28 spline. He wasn't easy on it either. He's got a 60 now I think tho 8)

MaineZJ
02-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Swampy was saying I could take an exploder drum 8.8 and convert to disc using cop car parts... or I think he was

Jim311
02-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Swampy was saying I could take an exploder drum 8.8 and convert to disc using cop car parts... or I think he was

You definitely could. What I'm thinking about doing is finding some junkyard calipers and using them as a core towards some new 8.8 calipers. For some reason my 8.8 didn't come with calipers either :(

Swamp boy
02-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Thats what I was trying to say.. Disk stuff from Cop car...

Backing plate and calipers are the most important thing.. Rotors are cheap..
(you can rebuild the calipers to if you cant find some in good shape..)

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-09-2005, 01:59 AM

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
02-09-2005, 01:59 AM

You definitely could. What I'm thinking about doing is finding some junkyard calipers and using them as a core towards some new 8.8 calipers. For some reason my 8.8 didn't come with calipers either :(

use your calipers off the D35 or D44a whichever you have. they just see them as a caliper is a caliper. I paid $140 for the new 8.8 calipers and got $75 back for returning my D35 calipers. Wow I just said calipers 6 times in one post.

chadjans
02-09-2005, 02:19 AM
Dude if you go from a drum setup to a disk setup, you must remove the o ring in the prop valve. Drum setups do not require the same pressure as a disk setup. In fact disks require more. If you keep the oring in the vale your rear calipers will not get enough pressure. Then your front brakes will go from providing about 80% of your breaking power to almost all of it. I suggest you do your research and not drive on the same roads as I because of your low rear brake power.

Chad

Jim311
02-09-2005, 08:16 AM

use your calipers off the D35 or D44a whichever you have. they just see them as a caliper is a caliper. I paid $140 for the new 8.8 calipers and got $75 back for returning my D35 calipers. Wow I just said calipers 6 times in one post.

Meh, I'm trying to keep my 44a complete so I can sell it to some suckers on JU or something. That's why I'm building some custom high clearance brackets. It seems to me that you go overcharged for those calipers man. I paid 8 dollars apiece for my rebuilt calipers for my D30 at the parts store after the core charge!

ATL ZJ
02-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Dude if you go from a drum setup to a disk setup, you must remove the o ring in the prop valve. Drum setups do not require the same pressure as a disk setup. In fact disks require more. If you keep the oring in the vale your rear calipers will not get enough pressure. Then your front brakes will go from providing about 80% of your breaking power to almost all of it. I suggest you do your research and not drive on the same roads as I because of your low rear brake power.

Chad

Haha, you've convinced me. I know disc brake setups require more pressure and that people have benefited from removing o-ring. I'll take it out for ya. :) I'll post in this thread as to how much better my brakes get afterwards, since I am used to braking with the low-pressure setup now.

MaineZJ
02-09-2005, 01:38 PM
they require more volume, not more pressure