PDA

View Full Version : Coilover spring rates?

Tommy
02-06-2005, 01:40 AM
Does anybody know what spring rate ROKN ZJ was running on his sway aways? I PM'd him but he has not responded. Any general rule of thumb or pointers you could give me to help me narrow down the spring rates?

JpRngr
02-06-2005, 03:51 AM
Call and talk to the guys at PolyPerformance.com. They figured out a good starting point for me and will swap out coils to fine tune later. I haven't installed mine yet, so I don't know how close they are yet.

Corey

ROKN ZJ
02-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry I didn't reply. I think I've mentioned it before that I suck at returning messages :( I really have no excuse...

Anyway I also say call Poly Performance. Weigh your ZJ the best you can on all corners (they may want unsprung weight). Give them the weight, your ride height and some other stuff, they stick it in some sort of forumla and give you the exact springs you shoul get. I didn't set up my suspension Travis Smith did, and I have no idea what spring rate he went with. Even if I did though I'd really suggest calling up Dave at Poly Performance and talking to him about what you're doing, and he should be able to help you out :D

robselina
02-06-2005, 06:47 PM
yea, weigh your rig and then if you want to know sprung weight just subtract for your axles, wheels and tires. Axles there are lbs figures floating around for, for tires and wheels, easiest thing is to weigh you spare at home. As for where to weigh your rig, if there's a port of entry near by or a landfill, they'll typically have scales. I've gotten my weight from the local landfill guys before, and if you ask them nicely, you can get front and rear figures too....

ROKN ZJ
02-06-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think his ZJ is moveable, is it? Anyone have a suggestion for weighing a floating shell of a ZJ?

OverkillZJ
02-06-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't think his ZJ is moveable, is it? Anyone have a suggestion for weighing a floating shell of a ZJ?

Not unless you know someone with a really good 4-scale set, they type you'd normally drive a vehicle up on. Set up jacks on top one at a time so you have all 4 jacks on the scales. Those things are expensive though...

Tommy
02-07-2005, 12:33 AM
The ZJ isn't movable yet. Thanks for the response Hal. I probably should have weighed the damn thing before hand. Kartek has the springs right now, as long as you don't scratch the coils you can return them. With the stock weight we may be able to get reasonably close to what we need. I was just looking for a short cut since Hal was running the same springs.

Michael
04-13-2005, 05:33 AM

1 sawzall
1 cattle scale

Tommy
04-13-2005, 04:03 PM
the rates i used were.

400 over 450 in the front
300 over 350 in the rear.

JpRngr
04-14-2005, 01:01 AM
PolyPerformance set me up with 250's as a starting point for the front. We'll see here soon how mine setup! :rolleyes:

Corey

Tommy
04-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Sweet. Can't wait to see it Corey...

Peak ZJ
04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
PolyPerformance set me up with 250's as a starting point for the front. We'll see here soon how mine setup! :rolleyes:

Corey

What was the weight at the corners.?

Tommy
04-25-2005, 05:34 PM
After this weekends short drive, I like how the spring rates came out. Definately going to need a front sway bar at the very least.

ROKN ZJ
04-26-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd recomend a rear sway bar as well. Most buggies have the currie ones and they don't kill articulation as most people think. I also know that big coilovered ZJ at EJS (it was posted on nagca) had one, so if you needed to you could track him down and see how he likes his setup.

Hal

Michael
04-26-2005, 04:31 PM
how about some pictures of the mounts, etc?

Tommy
04-27-2005, 06:22 PM
See my Suspension Gutted thread in the Suspension forum.

Tommy

Tommy
05-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Does anybody know where I can find what pressure I should run in my CO's. Corey, what do you plan on running?